Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

The importance of a good point guard!

This forum is for the South Carolina Independent High School Association League. Discuss the top players, teams and games from around the state for the top private schools.

The importance of a good point guard!

Postby JYD » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:25 pm

A good point guard...are they "born" or can they be developed??? I can tell you, when you don't have a good one, everything is difficult!

Sterling Smalls is the P-G point guard and he is doing a terrific job of late in creating scoring opportunities and running the offense. The other HUGELY important benefit of having a kid with speed, good ball handling skills, passing ability and vision is that teams really can't press you! Sterling has grown to enjoy it when there is full court pressure...most teams don't stay in it for long! I can't tell you how valuable it is to have someone who can handle pressure...particularly late in the game AND can make foul shots...

Who are the best point guards in SCISA...Seventh Woods comes to mind of course...

Charleston Collegiate's Ty Solomon is another terrific point guard...a great passer...

Anybody want to add to the list?
JYD
JV

Re: The importance of a good point guard!

Postby OBC12 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:33 pm

Christian Academy has 2 good guards both can play the point. Kendall Henry(Sr.) and Bernard Jones(Fr.). I agree handling pressure, running the floor, making the offense go and free throw shooting are a must to be successful.
OBC12
Freshman

Postby dodgem37 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:46 pm

CPA's Laura Renolds is the best point gaurd I have seen this year, boy or girl. She routinely makes half court passes to an open player resulting in an easy lay-up. She usually has double digit steals but rarely gets into foul trouble. If needed she can play the entire game and hardly looks winded.
Show no Mercy.... Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you.....for your greatness will silence them all
dodgem37
Freshman

Postby Thebigtime » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:14 pm

Emily McElveen from LMA, Brielle Jungblut from THA, and Corey Caulder of PCA are good girls PG. All better than Reynolds in my opinion, however Reynolds is probably the best 1A girls PG.
Thebigtime
Freshman

Postby TSAgenerals » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:34 pm

Thebigtime wrote:Emily McElveen from LMA, Brielle Jungblut from THA, and Corey Caulder of PCA are good girls PG. All better than Reynolds in my opinion, however Reynolds is probably the best 1A girls PG.

I must agree with this. I would also throw in Taylor Barcomb from Dorchester. She's probably right there with Reynolds, but all three mentioned above are all better PG's. They're all pretty even in that they can score the ball and distribute when necessary. I would say that Jungblut is probably the best pure shooter of the three, but Caulder and McElveen aren't far behind. Barcomb and Reynolds are probably the better distributers.

Point guard is the quarterback of the basketball team. If he/she can't handle the ball the and run the show, the offense is nothing.
TSAgenerals
Varsity

Return to SCISA