Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

2A Baseball Playoff Predictions

This forum is for the South Carolina Independent High School Association League. Discuss the top players, teams and games from around the state for the top private schools.

2A Baseball Playoff Predictions

Postby FootballFanatic5151 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:57 am

Who you got for 2A? There are a lot of good teams in the tournament, just want to see some predictions.
FootballFanatic5151
Freshman

Re: 2A Baseball Playoff Predictions

Postby TSAgenerals » Wed May 01, 2013 11:14 pm

Truth is, you could ask five different people and get five different answers and it would be hard to argue with any of them. TSA, HHA, THA, Carolina, and SDS all seem to have what it takes to win it all. I'm just not as confident in the other three teams winning it all. With that said, I wouldn't be that surprised to see some of those other three teams advancing to the next round. It's just that crazy in 2A. There's a lot of really good teams and there's some really good pitching, but there's not really that one dominant team like a Laurens in year's past in 1A.

I don't like to predict because you really don't know what's going to happen. I would love to be at all four parks Friday. :lol:
TSAgenerals
Varsity

Postby Thebigtime » Thu May 02, 2013 2:32 pm

Thebigtime
Freshman

Postby Raidertalk » Thu May 02, 2013 2:46 pm

Baseball is really difficult to predict. But anything can happen when you are playing a three game series. For example how many teams out there have a dominant 3rd pitcher. Bishop for TSA, Cason for HHA, and Day for THA are dominanat good pitchers. Bishop is the best I have seen this year in 2A followed by the other 2 I have listed. If one of the lower seeded teams can pick up a win Friday night. The brackets could get very interesting after the higher seed has to travel Saturday. I just don't see anyone throwing a pitcher 7 innings Friday night and turning around and throwing them 3 more innings on Saturday. Could come down to who has the best number 3 pitcher.

I would have to give the nod to the higher seeds in TSA, HHA, Carolina, and THA. But I do like our chances against THA since we have already split with them this season. If we can win 1 Friday night, I think we would have the advantage with pitching on Saturday. I wouldn't count Calhoun out either. Don't know alot about Williamsburg except that Callahan is suppose to be a quality pitcher and I know HHA beat them early in the season. I know nothing about SDS. Looking at the bracket it could possibly end up an all Region II semi final. Unlikely but possible.
Raidertalk
JV

Postby Thebigtime » Thu May 02, 2013 8:37 pm

On the brackets page they have the rules as well. In a double header you can only throw 8 innings so there wouldn't be any 7-3 combos. I wouldn't be totally surprised with an all region 2 semis. DA is a good team when they play good defense. They have Brownlee, Parker, Mcalheny. Calhoun has quite a bit of depth pitching with Rucker, Reeves, McGee, Zane, and Robert. Holly Hill has Cason, Oglesby, Brunson, Swank, Carpenter. Thomas Sumter has Bishop, Hoge, and Holloman.
Quite a bit of depth pitching wise throughout the region.

The matchups that intrigues me the most are Thomas Sumter/Williamsburg and Holly Hill/Spartanburg Day.

If Kellahan is dealing again then they may give Bishop a run for his money. I also think Williamsburg has more pitching. TSA has some good hitters at the top but if Williamsburg can play damage control then I think they have a shot.

Spartanburg Day was number 1 in their region but got a 4 seed. Lots of upset folk about this so I see SDS showing up with something to prove, especially since HHA knocked them out last year if I recall correctly. I don't know what kind of pitching SDS has or hitting but it should be a good series. I still can't believe Holly Hill wasn't in the preseason top 10. I was looking back on those today, rather interesting.

Can't wait to see how these AA playoffs shake out, it's up for grabs for anyone.
Thebigtime
Freshman

Postby Raidertalk » Thu May 02, 2013 11:41 pm

Bigtime, Thanks for correcting me. 8 innings pitched in the 2 day series. 10 innings in the 3 day series. Should be some good baseball games being played this weekend. As TSA said, would be nice to be at all 4 parks watching the games. Looking forward to seeing all the results tommorow night. Good Luck to all who are playing.
Raidertalk
JV

Postby TSAgenerals » Fri May 03, 2013 1:11 am

Thebigtime wrote:I still can't believe Holly Hill wasn't in the preseason top 10. I was looking back on those today, rather interesting.

Can't wait to see how these AA playoffs shake out, it's up for grabs for anyone.

I was thinking about that earlier as well. If I remember correctly, Williamsburg and Calhoun were one and two and Dorchester was around third or fourth. Meanwhile TSA was down in the bottom half of the top 10 and Holly Hill wasn't ranked.

Fast forward to now and you have WA and Calhoun a 4-seed and 3-seed respectively, and Dorchester a 6-seed. Then you have TSA and HHA as the two #1 seeds. That tells you one of two things; the rankings were crap or the parity is that big in 2A. I'm thinking it could be a little of both with more going the way of parity.
TSAgenerals
Varsity

Postby Cavsrgr8t » Fri May 03, 2013 3:56 pm

Nice that everyone seems to leave Calhoun out of the mix to win it all. Cavs have depth at pitching. Better watch out for us.
Cavsrgr8t
Freshman

Postby Stallionfan » Sat May 04, 2013 12:27 pm

TSAgenerals wrote:Truth is, you could ask five different people and get five different answers and it would be hard to argue with any of them. TSA, HHA, THA, Carolina, and SDS all seem to have what it takes to win it all. I'm just not as confident in the other three teams winning it all.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Just curious how you feel about us now?
Stallionfan
Freshman

Postby PurePanther » Sat May 04, 2013 12:37 pm

Cavsrgr8t wrote:Nice that everyone seems to leave Calhoun out of the mix to win it all. Cavs have depth at pitching. Better watch out for us.

Most all of the responses above did mention the fact that Calhoun could be a sleeper and a team to be reckoned with. The wheels must have come off at Carolina Academy, though. What happened? And what kind of team is Carolina? Must be decent if they decidedly swept CA like they did. Anybody have insight on Carolina Academy?
PurePanther
Varsity

Next

Return to SCISA