Who is online

Users browsing this forum: docgibbons and 7 guests

2A Football

This forum is for the South Carolina Independent High School Association League. Discuss the top players, teams and games from around the state for the top private schools.

2A Football

Postby Lionking19 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:55 pm

How should the 2A schools rank this fall? Any news?
Lionking19
Freshman

Re: 2A Football

Postby WHA84 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:56 am

I follow 3A more closely than 2A, but I have to believe that after several years of HHCA, THA, and TSA dominating this division there will be much more parity this season. All three of these schools lost a significant number of players to graduation, not to mention HHCA losing their head coach and starting QB. If I remember correctly, PCA had a pretty solid team last year, and I would bet that FCS and Calhoun are going to be more experienced and competitive this year. That being said, it doesn't mean that HHCA or THA can't be a part of the state championship game in November, but I don't think you'll see the blowout scores during the regular season like last year.

Best wishes for a safe and successful season to all the young men who started practice this morning...
WHA84
Freshman

Postby TylerHeffernan » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:15 pm

PCA does have a solid core. Not much depth, but the offense is almost entirely back from last year. The Eagles will miss their best defensive player in linebacker Conner Treece, though. Here are some links you might want to check out... Season preview: http://www.moultrienews.com/article/201 ... l-programs Some extra notes and quotes left out in the article: http://blog.moultrienews.com/eye-of-the ... a-edition/
TylerHeffernan
Freshman

Postby FCS Sports Fan » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:32 pm

Interesting quote from Coach Daniel in the second link:

Daniel thinks Florence Christian, which beat the Eagles in the first round of last season’s state playoffs, is the favorite to win the state title this year.

Very kind words, but no doubt PCA will be a playoff team again this season, and a tough draw for whoever faces them.

In our region, I think it boils down to three big games:

Week 4: TSA @ Calhoun
Week 7: FCS @ Calhoun
Week 8: FCS @ TSA

Who emerges out of that scrum 2-0 against the other two has the inside track to the region championship and staying out of HHCA's side of the bracket. HHCA is still the class of the Lowcountry, even without the Lewises.
My expressed opinions in no way reflect the official position of Florence Christian School, it's staff, or it's administration.
FCS Sports Fan
Varsity

Postby TylerHeffernan » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:12 am

Good insight. For what it's worth, the two key offensive guys for PCA -- J.T. Waters and Ryan Roe -- have put on some weight this offseason. They're noticeably stronger now than they were this time last year.
TylerHeffernan
Freshman

Postby Fanofthegames » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:55 am

I think PCA will win against Porter Gaud in the first game. I saw PCA at 7 on 7 and they are not a bad group of kids. Now this is based off 7 on 7 it will depend on how the line holds up and which defense is a little stronger. I think this game will be a shoot out and if PCA wins this one they could take that momentum all the way thru.
Fanofthegames
Freshman

Postby TSAgenerals » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:19 am

I'm interested to see how our guys look Friday night against Holly Hill over at the Calhoun jamboree, as well as getting a sneak peek at Calhoun. We lost a lot of guys last year and this year's team only features 4 seniors and 8 juniors. The rest are sophomores, freshmen, and we have one 8th grader. I thought we would be a bit smaller on the lines this year, but that does not appear to be the case. We have 6 guys at least 200, including a 6'2 270 pound junior, a 230 senior, and a 225 freshman. Hopefully they will be able to open some holes for our running backs. From what I've been told we are a little more athletic on the edges than last year, which killed us last year. THA had their way with us on the edges in both games as did HHC.

Experience is going to be the big thing this year. We're fortunate enough to play FCS towards the end of the season when we should hopefully be hitting our stride, but we face Calhoun in week four after facing Wilson Hall. Hopefully we'll be healthy after that game. We also face THA and HHC following the Calhoun game so we'll certainly get to see how tough our guys are by the midpoint of the season. This year may be the best chance for FCS or Calhoun to end the streak of region titles as we should be really experienced the next 2-3 years.
TSAgenerals
Varsity

Postby shakenbake » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:26 am

Here's a link for today's article on Holly Hill which Thomas Sumter will be facing this Friday night in the Cavalier Jamboree in St. Matthews.

http://thetandd.com/sports/year-of-grow ... 963f4.html
shakenbake
Freshman

Postby shakenbake » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:46 am

A new team in 2A is Spartanburg Christian. Here is a link for a recent report on their team.

http://preps.goupstate.com/news/article ... ity-level/

There was an earlier story on SCA on GoUpstate, but the link doesn't work now ... here's that story.

SCA Starts Varsity Program

SCA is hopeful that the success of its junior varsity program carries over to the first year on the varsity level.

The Warriors JV team posted an 8-1 mark and all of their starters return. SCA coach Chad Turner knows the competition will be tougher at the varsity level, but said he feels good about his team.

First our season was about learning the game and believing we could run the ball on anyone," he said, "Year 2 is about defense and special teams."

Turner feels that the team will be improved defensively thank to better conditioning.

Defensively we were in position over and over again but didn't execute and finish the play, he said. This season we are looking for 'smart swarm' by our defense and consistency in our instincts and in finishing tackles. Last year our body strength and weight levels were very low, but most of the core starters have added between 10 and 25 pounds of muscle and are literally twice as strong as a year ago. We fully expect this to translate into a dominating defense.

Offensively the Warriors will be led by quarterback Adam patrick; running backs Ashton Poole and Corey Powell; and tight ends Derrick hacle and Kendall Stevens. The offense will feature a double wing/ single wing hybrid.

The defense will be led by lindebackers Thomas Mathis and Jordan Edney, as well as corner back jack martin. It will work out of a 4-3 base.
shakenbake
Freshman

Postby PurePanther » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:40 am

Shakenbake, do you happen to have Calhoun's full schedule? Can't seem to find it anywhere...not even on the CA athletic web page.
PurePanther
Varsity

Next

Return to SCISA