Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

2A Football

This forum is for the South Carolina Independent High School Association League. Discuss the top players, teams and games from around the state for the top private schools.

Re: 2A Football

Postby TSAgenerals » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:58 pm

I assume it will be like most everyone else, similar to last year's schedule. With SCA in the region for the first year, our change is that we will not play Trinity-Byrnes and swapped them for SCA. I'm guessing Calhoun may have dropped Laurens for SCA?

Interested to see how SCA fares this year. Oakbrook played their first year and went right to the playoffs. Having to play every game on the road will be tough for SCA, but if they're able to knock of King's and REL then they will be in the playoff hunt. Good to see HHA is expecting to be much improved last year.
TSAgenerals
Varsity

Postby shakenbake » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:36 pm

As far as Calhoun's scheduling goes your are correct. Spartanburg Christian is taking the place of Laurens Academy on our schedule for the week 1 game and we will be playing Oakbrook Prep Week 10.

As far as Oakbrook goes the board knows they will play most of their schedule. The question is what two or three games will they not play? They will not play their week 0 game against Laurens Academy and they will not play their Week 1 game at Dorchester Academy. I think they will start their season with Holly Hill.
That would be an 8 game season for Oakbrook. I think Oakbrook will add SCA to their schedule and will need to bump somebody else off their schedule to make room and whoever that is I don't know? I don't know if they are going to drop another game, but this is my best guess for an 8 game season.

What I do know is that if Oakbrook doesn't quit or give up - Calhoun will go there to play in week 10.

Schools do not have all their info up to date on their websites as everybody is coming back from summer and we all understand this ... BUT SCISA ...is another story. SCISA still has the old schedule up with Laurens in 2A and Spartanburg not added, etc. I wish SCISA would update the 2013 schedule online.
shakenbake
Freshman

Postby sc7777(godfather) » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Per the league office the updated Oakbrook schedule is as follows:

9/6 at Holly Hill
9/13 Spartanburg Christian
9/20 at Florence Christian
10/4 The Kings
10/11 Robert E. Lee
10/18 at Trinity Byrnes
sc7777(godfather)
JV

Postby TSAgenerals » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:56 pm

shakenbake wrote:Schools do not have all their info up to date on their websites as everybody is coming back from summer and we all understand this ... BUT SCISA ...is another story. SCISA still has the old schedule up with Laurens in 2A and Spartanburg not added, etc. I wish SCISA would update the 2013 schedule online.

Godfather, you seem to be pretty close to Fanning and the league office, do you know of a reason this hasn't been done? Not trying to pile on Fanning cause lord knows he gets it enough on here. Just wondering why they haven't updated it.
TSAgenerals
Varsity

Postby Loachapoka » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:12 am

sc7777(godfather) wrote:Per the league office the updated Oakbrook schedule is as follows:

9/6 at Holly Hill
9/13 Spartanburg Christian
9/20 at Florence Christian
10/4 The Kings
10/11 Robert E. Lee
10/18 at Trinity Byrnes

Have also been told there is an effort to schedule at least 1 more game, and very close to having it. Looks like when all is said and done, OPS will have @ 15-16 players.
Loachapoka
Freshman

Postby sc7777(godfather) » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:02 pm

I guess the reason is all these fast moving changes with Oakbrook, Laurens and the possiblility of another 8-man school not having enough players to play their schedule he is reluctant to put anything up now.
sc7777(godfather)
JV

Postby shakenbake » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:45 am

Looking over last years HSSR’s SCISA 2A All State Players -
There were 30 honorees – 20 Sr’s - 8 Jr’s - 2 So's ... distributed throughout the league.

7 Hilton Head Christian
6 Thomas Heyward
4 Northwood Academy
3 Florence Christian
3 Palmetto Christian
2 Thomas Sumter
2 Hilton Head Prep
1 Calhoun Academy
1 Oakbrook Prep
1 The King’s Academy
0 Robt. E Lee
N/A Spartanburg Christian

Thought #1 - HHC and THA had 13 All State Players between them and they played for the state 2A title. It was a special year for both of those teams in talent and results. All State players don’t guarantee success, but last year HHC and THA had far more elite talent than the other teams and it paid off.

Thought #2. Elite talent doesn't guarantee a winning season. Football is a team sport. Every team has a great player, but a good team can beat a great player. Northwood had 4 All State Players and went 2-9 last year.

Thought #3. Every year new talent rises up ... but I think the returning HSSR All State talent is a good indicator of who will stand tall at the end of the season. Let's let's look at the returning All State players ... and congratulations to them all.

Brad Meccariello, Hilton Head Christian
Will McCutchen, Hilton Head Christian
J.T. Waters, Palmetto Christian
Ryan Roe, Palmetto Christian
Darrett Drayton, Northwood Academy
Will Lloyd, Northwood Academy
Griffin Creekmore, Calhoun Academy
Teron Daley, Hilton Head Prep
Gordon Washington, Florence Christian

There is clearly more parity in 2A this year. There are eight 2A play-off spots.
The 6 teams above are likely to make the play-offs.

That leaves 2 play-off spots up for grabs...for the other 2A teams.
Who will it be? THA, REL, Kings, TSA, Spartanburg Christian, (Oakbrook)

Some other questions I have
1. Does anybody know anything about SCA. A recent poster said their QB was out for the season is this accurate?

2. The Palmetto coach who has almost his entire team back with two All Staters picked Florence to win it all in a recent news article. I thought FCS lost a lot to graduation? Does anybody have a roster of last years FCS team to see how graduation affected them?
shakenbake
Freshman

Postby shakenbake » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:33 am

Found this on Spartanburg Christian
Pictures at this link click on the photo 8/16/2013 Southside vs SCA...

http://www.goupstate.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ ... 992&Ref=PH

Then for scrimmage info Southside Christian 20 over Spartanburg Christian 8
go here ...

http://preps.goupstate.com/news/article ... -jamboree/
shakenbake
Freshman

Postby hoopa94 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:36 pm

shakenbake wrote:Looking over last years HSSR’s SCISA 2A All State Players -
There were 30 honorees – 20 Sr’s - 8 Jr’s - 2 So's ... distributed throughout the league.

7 Hilton Head Christian
6 Thomas Heyward
4 Northwood Academy
3 Florence Christian
3 Palmetto Christian
2 Thomas Sumter
2 Hilton Head Prep
1 Calhoun Academy
1 Oakbrook Prep
1 The King’s Academy
0 Robt. E Lee
N/A Spartanburg Christian

Thought #1 - HHC and THA had 13 All State Players between them and they played for the state 2A title. It was a special year for both of those teams in talent and results. All State players don’t guarantee success, but last year HHC and THA had far more elite talent than the other teams and it paid off.

Thought #2. Elite talent doesn't guarantee a winning season. Football is a team sport. Every team has a great player, but a good team can beat a great player. Northwood had 4 All State Players and went 2-9 last year.

Thought #3. Every year new talent rises up ... but I think the returning HSSR All State talent is a good indicator of who will stand tall at the end of the season. Let's let's look at the returning All State players ... and congratulations to them all.

Brad Meccariello, Hilton Head Christian
Will McCutchen, Hilton Head Christian
J.T. Waters, Palmetto Christian
Ryan Roe, Palmetto Christian
Darrett Drayton, Northwood Academy
Will Lloyd, Northwood Academy
Griffin Creekmore, Calhoun Academy
Teron Daley, Hilton Head Prep
Gordon Washington, Florence Christian

There is clearly more parity in 2A this year. There are eight 2A play-off spots.
The 6 teams above are likely to make the play-offs.

That leaves 2 play-off spots up for grabs...for the other 2A teams.
Who will it be? THA, REL, Kings, TSA, Spartanburg Christian, (Oakbrook)

Some other questions I have
1. Does anybody know anything about SCA. A recent poster said their QB was out for the season is this accurate?

2. The Palmetto coach who has almost his entire team back with two All Staters picked Florence to win it all in a recent news article. I thought FCS lost a lot to graduation? Does anybody have a roster of last years FCS team to see how graduation affected them?

You can add another name to this list for HHCA. Deo'vonte Doe (transfer from Ridgeland-Hardeeville over 1300 yards & 10 TD'S last year) if used properly he will do 2000 yards this year.
hoopa94
Freshman

Postby shakenbake » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:12 am

Thomas Heyward pre-season analysis ...

http://www.islandpacket.com/2013/08/19/ ... yward.html
shakenbake
Freshman

PreviousNext

Return to SCISA