2A Football

This forum is for the South Carolina Independent High School Association League. Discuss the top players, teams and games from around the state for the top private schools.

Re: 2A Football

Postby J1871 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:03 pm

Revised my count. As of this week PCA has a student body of 497 K5 through 12, with 130 in the high school and 367 K5 through 8th grade. Largest class is first grade with 51 kids. Smallest class is 10th grade with 26 kids.
J1871
JV

Postby OldSchool Pinewood » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:55 pm

Just a reminder that it is not overall enrollment or even high school enrollment that determines classification. It is Grades 8-11 enrollment for all sports except football and soccer, Boys' 8-11 enrollment for football and boys' soccer, and Girls' 8-11 enrollment for girls' soccer.

That said, it sounds like PCA is in the middle of the pack for AA enrollment. Pinewood is one of the smaller, if not the smallest, AAA school for football and boys' soccer. Our overall enrollment for Grades 8-11 is around 220, but our boys' 8-11 enrollment is less than 100 (about 95). Included in these numbers are about 20 international students (most of whom SCISA deems ineligible for athletics). If you don't count the ineligible international students (and you shouldn't), then Pinewood's boys' 8-11 enrollment is less than 90.

For whatever reason, SCISA refuses to disclose the enrollment numbers it uses for reclassification. By contrast, NCISAA publishes these numbers on its website. There is no justification for Pinewood playing football in a different classification for football than Northwood or Florence Christian. SCISA should move those two schools up to AAA for football as well OR move Pinewood and perhaps one other school down to AA for football only (so as to leave an even 8 in AAA). My preference would be a 12-team AAA. If Pinewood were demoted to AA for football, I would think we try to get our program to the point where we would be petitioning to "play up" within a couple of years regardless of enrollment. The current setting (Pinewood in AAA, Northwood and Florence Christian in AA) appears arbitrary. SCISA's refusal to reveal the numbers just adds fuel to the fire.
OldSchool Pinewood
Varsity

Postby shakenbake » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:23 pm

My SCISA Games of the Week.
The game's I most want to see.

3A Orangeburg Prep / Hammond. OP has 25 Sr's - this is their year and all that. OP is off to a good start hammering their 2A opponents. Hammond's start is mixed with a big win over perhaps the toughest 2A team and a big loss to a NC powerhouse. Hammond doesn't know how to lose two in a row. Seriously. OP is ready to teach'em, but the SkyHawks aren't ready to learn. Random thought - It's in Columbia. My pick ... Hammond.

2A Thomas Sumter / Spartanburg Christian. The only 2A conference match of the week. Not as big as the match above ... but an important game to be sure. Does Thomas Sumter still got it? Is Spartanburg Christian better than people realize? It's not the most interesting match in 2A this week, but it is the most important. Upset Special ... Spartanburg

1A - Bible Baptist / Hilton Head Christian. This may be the most interesting match in 2A, but it's actually a 1A vs 2A game. BB is coming off a big win over Thomas Heyward and lots of hype. It reminds me of the PCA/WA game last week ... BB comes back to earth as they face defending state champ HHC. No upset here. My pick ... HHC

Honorable Mention Game
Calhoun - Thomas Heyward. CA is trying to sail their ship ahead and THA is trying to turn their ship around. People say all's well that finishes well ... but the truth is ... when things don't start well - they usually don't finish well. My pick ... CA.

I Don't Have To See - But Want to Know the Score Games
Laurence Manning / Hilton Head Prep - An interesting match between a solid 3A and 2A team. My pick ... LM

Oakbrook / Holly Hill - After all the hoopla about will Oakbrook play or not ... I'll be curious to see if they play and how it turns out. My pick ... HH

Worth Noting Games
A few other early season conference match ups. I'm not that interested in these games, but early conference match ups matter.

Augusta Christian / Ben Lippen. My pick ... AC
Porter Gaud / Heathwood Hall. My pick ... PG
Wilson Hall / Pinewood. My pick ... WH
Williamsburg / Dorchester. My pick ... WA

Did I pick your game of the week?
There are a several great match-ups I didn't mention.
Go ahead post! What is your game(s) of the week?
shakenbake
Freshman

Postby TylerHeffernan » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:51 pm

shakenbake wrote:My SCISA Games of the Week.

1A - Williamsburg / Palmetto Christian. This is actually a 1A vs 2A match that means nothing to the post season, but 2A PCA is coming off the biggest win(s) in school history and there is more on the web about them than any other team in SCISA courtesy of Tyler Heffernan and the Moultrie News. I'm interested. The fact is Williamsburg shouldn't win based on classification, but then PCA shouldn't have beaten PG. Sooo, what goes around, comes around. Upset Special .... Williamsburg

There are a lot of great match-ups I didn't mention.

Thanks, shakenbake. Also, good call on the Williamsburg win prediction.
TylerHeffernan
Freshman

Postby FCS Sports Fan » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:42 pm

I hate to bump this topic back up, but to Tyler and shakenbake:

There's usually a current week predictions thread active, and these last two posts you made will get a lot more views there vs here.
My expressed opinions in no way reflect the official position of Florence Christian School, it's staff, or it's administration.
FCS Sports Fan
Varsity

Postby shakenbake » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:52 am

2A Winners (9/6) are ... CA, SCA, PCS, HHC, REL, FCS
2A Losers (9/6) are ... THA, TSA, HHP, O
Does not play ... TK

* FCS Sports Fan - Thanks for the heads up. I understand there are new prediction and game result threads that pop up weekly, but in general I prefer this 2A Master Thread. It will continue through the season and is easy for me to refer to because it's all in one place. I won't be digging around for the thread where I said blah, blah, blah. Less people may see my posts and predictions by my using this master thread, but I post as much or more for myself than I do other people anyway.

I'm not against other threads ... in fact I'm going to start one that will hopefully be a good one that will also run throughout the season.

Pre-Season Reports for research ...

Thomas Sumter
http://www.theitem.com/sports/generals- ... 90db2.html

The Kings Academy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qtd2NPlHpM

Calhoun Academy
http://www.islandpacket.com/2013/08/27/ ... eview.html

Hilton Head Prep
http://www.islandpacket.com/2013/08/27/ ... eview.html

FCA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHftv7ogcbc

HHC
http://www.islandpacket.com/2013/08/20/ ... tions.html

THA
http://www.islandpacket.com/2013/08/19/ ... yward.html

Spartanburg Christian
http://www.goupstate.com/article/201308 ... 2/0/search

Palmetto Christian
http://www.moultrienews.com/article/201 ... l-programs

Robt. E. Lee and Oakbrook - No news coverage ... What we know...

REL is much improved with a decent QB.
O has more players than last year...but surrendered their place in the league to SCA and tried to back out of all their game obligations because (they/??) doubted their ability to compete or field a team this year.
Last edited by shakenbake on Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shakenbake
Freshman

Postby Mike Watt » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:03 pm

shakenbake wrote:
O has more players than last year...but surrendered their place in the league to SCA and tried to back out of all their game obligations because (they/??) doubted their ability to compete or field a team this year.

They don't like to play if they think they cannot win.
Mike Watt
Freshman

Postby shakenbake » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:31 pm

My SCISA Games of the Week.

3A Laurence Manning / Hammond. LMA is quite possibly the little engine that could in 3A this year. Hammond is reeling and until last week didn't know how to lose back to back games, but they know how to do it now. It may not get as much buzz since OP did it last week and Charlotte the week before but it's still an upset. Upset Special ... LMA

2A Spartanburg Christian / Oakbrook. This is a brand new rivalry in SCISA football. It is the battle of the upstate. SCA started the year under-rated, but that was then and this is now. OP after all the hemming and hawing is finally on the field as they should have been all along. My pick ... SCA

1A - Holly Hill / Calhoun. Who's undefeated in 1A? Everyone knows about WA and BB, but guess who else is at the head table...Holly Hill. CA didn't travel well last week and they are on the road again, but the journey is just a short trot this week. My pick ... CA

Honorable Mention Game
Florence Christian - Northwood. The Southern division of 2A has ruled the roost over the Northern Division for a long time. FCA is aiming to strike a blow for the north. My pick ... FCA.

Bible Baptist / Hilton Head Prep - HHP doesn't have the horses that BB has, but they are a disciplined bunch and are determined to keep the score down. A hard fought match, but in the end. My pick ... BB

Augusta Christian / Cardinal Newman - Both teams need to assert themselves to set the tone for the rest of the season. My pick ... AC

Worth Noting Games
A few other early season conference match ups. I'm not that interested in these games, but early conference match ups matter.

Heathwood / Ben Lippen. My pick ... HH

Did I pick your game of the week?
There are a several great match-ups I didn't mention.
shakenbake
Freshman

Postby hoopa94 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:51 pm

Bible Baptist / Hilton Head Prep - HHP doesn't have the horses that BB has, but they are a disciplined bunch and are determined to keep the score down. A hard fought match, but in the end. My pick ...

Just as I feared Keynnard Campbell has been knocked out of the game. HHP is running all over the braves its 31-12 with 5 minutes remaining in the 2nd quarter.
hoopa94
Freshman

Postby hoopa94 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:09 pm

hoopa94 wrote:I Don't Have To See - But Want to Know the Score Games
Bible Baptist / Hilton Head Prep - HHP doesn't have the horses that BB has, but they are a disciplined bunch and are determined to keep the score down. A hard fought match, but in the end. My pick ...

Just as I feared Keynnard Campbell has been knocked out of the game. HHP is running all over the braves its 31-12 with 5 minutes remaining in the 2nd quarter.

I will call this one early. Both Campbell brothers are
down and the QB of the future is not the answer HHP
38 BBS 12 at the half. This one will be called early due
to darkness.
hoopa94
Freshman

PreviousNext

Return to SCISA