Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

Softball scores for week of April 14th

This forum is for the South Carolina Independent High School Association League. Discuss the top players, teams and games from around the state for the top private schools.

Softball scores for week of April 14th

Postby TopCat82 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:57 pm

LMA gets a big win tonight over Wilson Hall 4-1 in 8 innings. Both teams left it all on the field playing a very good game.
TopCat82
Freshman

Re: Softball scores for week of April 14th

Postby ole cavalier » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:39 am

Scratch the celebration
LMA tops WH 4-1 in crucial region contest

Dennis Brunson / The Sumter Item

It may have done nothing more in the standings than clinch second place in SCISA Region II-3A, but Laurence Manning Academy's 4-1, 8-inning victory over Wilson Hall may have far-reaching implications in the next few weeks.
"I think this win helps us get our confidence back up," said LMA pitcher Courtney Beatson, who worked out of jams in both the sixth and seventh innings to get the victory. "We've struggled a little bit the last few games, but I think this helps us get straightened out some."
The Lady Swampcats are 17-3 overall and finish 4-2 in region play. The loss was the first in region play for the Lady Barons, who are 4-1 in the region and 16-4 overall.
Wilson Hall, the defending state champion, will now have to reschedule a postponed game with Florence Christian School. If it wins, it wins the region title outright; were it to lose, it would be tied with Laurence Manning.
No makeup date has been set as of yet.
The win was the second in three meetings for Laurence Manning against the Lady Barons. It beat Wilson Hall in the championship game of the SCISA preseason tournament before falling in the first regular-season meeting.
"It seems like when we play the team that makes the fewest mistakes is the one who wins," said LMA head coach Maria Rowland. "The last time, we made more errors and they beat us. Today, I thought we played a pretty clean game."
The Lady Barons jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the third. Hannah Jordan singled off the glove of Beatson with two outs and scored on hits from Haley Hawkins and Drake Ives.
The Lady Swampcats tied the game in the fifth. Maddie Cantley led off with a single and moved to second on Maggie Eppley's bunt single. After a sacrifice moved the runners up a base, Dakota Jackson hit a sharp grounder to Jordan at shortstop. She threw home to put out pinch runner Shelbey Harrington at the plate, but Eppley made it home when Ives, the catcher, threw to second to try and get Jackson.
Wilson Hall missed chances to score in both the sixth and seventh innings. The Lady Barons wasted a leadoff double from Bailey Conner in the sixth and loaded the bases with one out in the seventh, but couldn't push across a run.
"I thought our defense was there, and I thought our pitching was there," WH head coach Teresa Alexander said. "We just didn't get the hits when we needed them."
LMA missed out on a chance to score in the seventh as it got runners on second and third with no outs. However, with a runner starting on second in the eighth via the international tiebreaker rule, Laurence Manning did score in the eighth.
Jackson started on second and was sacrificed to third by Grace Briggs. Cora Lee Downer then put down a bunt and Jackson slid in safely ahead of the tag.
Downer stole second and scored on a 2-out single by Emily McElveen to make it 3-1. Beatson scored McElveen with a single.
ole cavalier
Freshman

Postby changeup » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:37 pm

Where is everyone? I realize it's only Tuesday but even in the previous weeks there has been very little on this forum. All the chatter seems to be limited to a few Sumter/ Manning people. I enjoy the updates for TSA, WH, LMA, CH, etc...but where are the other schools? Afraid to give too much away before State? We all know State can be a bit of a show down from the most unlikely underdogs! It will be here before we know it!
changeup
Freshman

Postby LaFawnDuh » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:45 pm

I agree Changeup. What are the other schools doing in the Lowcountry and upstate?
LaFawnDuh
Freshman

Postby hangemhigh » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:13 pm

I will agree there is very little posted on here. And absolutely nothing from 1A. Getting pretty sad indeed.
hangemhigh
Freshman

Postby nolefan3 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:19 pm

Williamsburg 4 LMA 2

LMA''s coach was so upset she held a full practice after the loss.If I heard wait on the "meatball" one more time tonight I would have puked.
nolefan3
Freshman

Postby TopCat82 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:49 pm

It was a good game. LMA gave the game to WA with 4 errors and leaving runners in scoring position in each of the first 3 innings. LMA's coach runs a tight ship. The girls missed signs so they run for their mistakes. it was far from a "full practice". You have to love the home plate umpire who did not even know the rules trying to keep LMA from using a courtesy runner. He was terrible missing a play at the plate. Good Luck to the Stallions in state. They are my favorite to win.
TopCat82
Freshman

Postby ole cavalier » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:58 pm

nolefan3 wrote:Williamsburg 4 LMA 2

LMA''s coach was so upset she held a full practice after the loss.If I heard wait on the "meatball" one more time tonight I would have puked.

It sounds like it was a good game.WA is going to be a tough out when it comes state tournament time.I have been saying this all season.The fact that they won tonight should not surprise anyone.They have as much talent as anyone in SCISA .
ole cavalier
Freshman

Postby LaFawnDuh » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:44 pm

Wow....seems like WA had a great game. How about the other teams? How about the other classes? Please give updates win or loss!
LaFawnDuh
Freshman

Postby TopCat82 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:50 am

WA is very talented. They have 2 strong pitchers. From what I have heard they also need to just limit errors. I will be cheering them on at state. They have a great group of girls.
TopCat82
Freshman

Next

Return to SCISA