AAA update

This forum is for the South Carolina Independent High School Association League. Discuss the top players, teams and games from around the state for the top private schools.

AAA update

Postby highway17 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:49 pm

What's the story with AAA this year? Porter-Gaud and everyone else?
highway17
JV

Re: AAA update

Postby CoachSalley » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:54 am

As much as I'd like that to be true, it's worth noting what happened to Hammond last year. Class AAA in SCISA boys this year is solid. We have played Heathwood and Hammond already, and both are very good. We've got two games each vs. Northwood and Pinewood, who are always strong. Cardinal Newman has already beaten AC Flora. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

On a semi-related note, although Khris Middleton is rehabbing an injury, Seventh Woods is doing well at UNC and Zion Williamson is showing up on ESPN's top ten plays. Aja Wilson is possibly the best women's player in the NCAA. SCISA basketball quality is incredibly high.
CoachSalley
Freshman

Postby highway17 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:40 pm

Spartanburg Day beat Gray Collegiate by 20 tonight. Zion Williamson had 53.

Do Porter-Gaud and Spartanburg Day play each other this year? I know they played last year with PG winning. It would be a shame if they didn't, they are probably the two best teams in the state.
highway17
JV

Postby ksufreak » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:06 pm

highway17 wrote:Spartanburg Day beat Gray Collegiate by 20 tonight. Zion Williamson had 53.

Do Porter-Gaud and Spartanburg Day play each other this year? I know they played last year with PG winning. It would be a shame if they didn't, they are probably the two best teams in the state.

Zion's performance last night was one for the ages. He was 24 of 24 on shots inside the arc and 1-4 outside the arc.

But holy hell, how bad is Gray Collegiate defensively. They literally let him drive the paint and dunk every time he wanted to. They didn't even try to foul him. He only made two free throws in the game.

I don't know that I have ever seen a high school basketball team that played like GC did defensively last night. It's not that they just weren't good defensively, they just didn't even try. They would have a player guarding Zion on the perimeter, and two players at the elbow and two at the boxes and Zion would dribble until he beat his man and then drive right down the middle of the lane for a dunk and the other four guys literally never moved.
ksufreak
JV

Postby Tiger1981 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:30 pm

Why does Spartanburg day not have football or varsity boys baseball?
Tiger1981
Freshman

Postby docgibbons » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:20 pm

Tiger1981 wrote:Why does Spartanburg day not have football or varsity boys baseball?

according to the banners in their gym, they had football in the past. They seemed to have played in NCISA and maybe the short-lived Palmetto Athletic Confernece. I've noted scores for them while researching old games for Thornwell and Catawba Academy. Don't know when they last played, or why they stopped. A few years ago, when asked the same question, one of their supporters on this forum said there just wasn't any interest. Maybe that will change with Oakbrook and Spartanburg Christian establishing football programs in the past few years
docgibbons
All-American

Postby Tiger1981 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:15 pm

Maybe..... That tuition though, LOL. There are several non fball schools in scisa that do very well at other sports, would like to see them all come on board. The interest im sure would be there if it were made a priority. Schools like this you have to wonder are they content with just their little piece of winning vs making the investment in football and getting the fool beat out of them for awhile before becoming a winning/relevant program. I'm sure some of the 1a bball schools may very well not have the #s for 11 man or even 8 man fball but a 2a bball only school could make it happen if they so choose to make it a priority.
Tiger1981
Freshman

Postby highway17 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:29 pm

PG just went 0-3 at the Chic-fila classic. I know they played some very talented teams, but this result was still pretty surprising. Were they short-handed or did they just get beat? The Blythewood loss was surprising.
highway17
JV

Postby CoachSalley » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:48 pm

Not short-handed, just a very good field. Lost by a basket to Blythewood. Didn't play well and got handled by Cannon School. Then lost by a point in OT to Westlake. Very easily could have come out 2-1, but didn't. Just as a point of reference, the team we played to OT in the last-place game had 2 guards who are already D1 commits--Auburn & Central Florida. Hope we get a chance to go back next year.
CoachSalley
Freshman

Postby cyclonefan11 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:45 am

I think that SCISA's overall performance in Chickfila wasn't quite what we'd hoped. Between CN, PG, HHES, and SDA, I think SCISA went 1-9 or 2-8. Great to see the league represented and with all 4 of those teams being relatively young, hopefully they will get another shot next year to improve!

Merry Christmas everybody.
cyclonefan11
Varsity

Return to SCISA