Win loss records of SCISA athletic teams

This forum is for the South Carolina Independent High School Association League. Discuss the top players, teams and games from around the state for the top private schools.

Win loss records of SCISA athletic teams

Postby scpackfan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:49 pm

With the exception of a few schools list all their wins and losses on their website, most schools seem to guard it like a national secret. Why doesn’t SCISA keep standings on their website? Is info available somewhere?
Last edited by scpackfan on Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scpackfan
Freshman

Re: Win loss records of SCISA athletic teams

Postby sc7777(godfather) » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:45 am

For SCISA to post all scores to their page would be a near impossible job. It would take a hours upon hours to do this. Would take at least one full time employee to pull this off. Mike Fanning is not a superman.

During football season I spend two whole days updating each weeks scores so I can update my Doodles Doodles power ratings. Football is easier to put a update together every week because schools report football to all the publications and the AP.

For non-football sports that is not the case. All schools do not have someone to update their webpages on a day by day basis.
sc7777(godfather)
Varsity

Postby scpackfan » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:48 pm

SC7777, I get your point from a SCISA standpoint. From an individual school, I would think it would not be a big deal to maintain their website with wins and losses if not also scores. My sons' school keeps up with that for 30+ teams. Beyond that, Maxpreps provides the opportunity to maintain the scores and standings for many sports (football, basketball, baseball, wrestling etc). SCISA has pages for A, AA, AAND AAA. Still most don't use it or only partly use it. Frustrating that the information is not more readily available.
scpackfan
Freshman

Postby sc7777(godfather) » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:14 pm

Yes, Max Preps would be a good avenue. However, there are coaches that will not take the time to report scores or updated stats. Would be great if every school would appoint a dependable student to update data to this great site.
sc7777(godfather)
Varsity

Postby scpackfan » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:40 pm

The low level of information sure seems intentional though I can’t imagine what the advantage is in not putting information out about your team and players.
scpackfan
Freshman

Postby scisagrad » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:03 am

SCISA should hold the AD's accountable for reporting to MaxPreps or having a webpage. Finding baseball information is nearly impossible.
scisagrad
Freshman

Postby Tiger1981 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:05 pm

Many of the coaches are old school and just don't know how, then some are just lazy, while others it is a combo of both. It is definitely not intentional, it is just a knowledge or a lack of action bc it is not important to them.
Tiger1981
Freshman

Postby CoachSalley » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:39 pm

I hope that my school is considered one of the "good" ones in terms of keeping scores up to date online. However, doing so is a bigger job than it may seem on the surface. We have well over 50 teams, and just gathering the scores themselves for publication can be difficult. I'll be at the sole varsity football game of the week, and will probably input the score remotely before I leave. If I forget, I can copy it from the sports page the next day. But I may not know the score of the 7th grade road basketball game, which might be one of six or eight games played that day. If I was home for a lacrosse game and saw the score, that means I missed the score of the soccer game that took place simultaneously on the road, and have no way to even look up the JV score until I can reach my coach... who has a day job. Then there are days like today when it pours down rain and we have to reschedule four games, each with its own website entry including date, time, location, etc. We need to notify refs, families, move buses, make sure fields are lined, arrange scoreboard operators and ticket takers... and all of them are arguably more urgent than updating the website. Like I said, I think we do a pretty decent job in spite of all of that. But I'd never suggest that doing so comes easily.
CoachSalley
Freshman

Postby scpackfan » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:06 pm

Where is the student sports editor for the student paper when you need them?

Coach Salley, I didn’t really mean this thread call out schools as good or bad but rather to see if their was a source for standings info that I am missing. But since you asked, Max Preps has PG’s varsity bb team is 0-0 in SCISA. The up side is they are tied with 6 other teams. :D
scpackfan
Freshman

Postby CoachSalley » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:22 pm

scpackfan wrote:Where is the student sports editor for the student paper when you need them?

Coach Salley, I didn’t really mean this thread call out schools as good or bad but rather to see if their was a source for standings info that I am missing. But since you asked, Max Preps has PG’s varsity bb team is 0-0 in SCISA. The up side is they are tied with 6 other teams. :D

Haha. Back when we had an actual paper, we also only had about six teams. Our best source for all school teams' scores is our own school website. That's the one my office is in charge of. Individual teams and coaches do other things--basketball and football I know keep up with Maxpreps, track uses Milesplit, etc. But the point I was trying to make is that with multiple teams and multiple places to post things, it's a lot more complicated than it used to be in the old days. (That said, having once had to sit on a phone and literally "call in" every name, time, and distance for 34 events in a track meet.... those old days weren't always so good.)
CoachSalley
Freshman

Next

Return to SCISA