CHAMPIONSHIP WEEKEND

Here's a place for all classes to talk about South Carolina prep basketball. Hoop it up.

CHAMPIONSHIP WEEKEND

Postby Jacktharippa » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:01 pm

What do you guys think. I saw a lot of the upperstate thems this weekend at the bilo center and I was very impressed with kennan girls & newberry boys in 2A. I wasn't really impressed with lewisville boys in the 1A divison. Needless to say who I'm pulling for in the 1A girls. Go lady chiefs.

What does Hemingway girls look like?

I'm so glad that the state of south Carolina will get a chance to see on of the best players McCormick has to offer in terita brown #5. If you don't know about this young lady you will be in for a treat. She
Jacktharippa
JV

Re: CHAMPIONSHIP WEEKEND

Postby cattail » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:18 am

Jacktharippa wrote:What do you guys think. I saw a lot of the upperstate thems this weekend at the bilo center and I was very impressed with kennan girls & newberry boys in 2A. I wasn't really impressed with lewisville boys in the 1A divison. Needless to say who I'm pulling for in the 1A girls. Go lady chiefs.

I'm so glad that the state of south Carolina will get a chance to see on of the best players McCormick has to offer in terita brown #5. If you don't know about this young lady you will be in for a treat. She

Good Luck to the lady Chiefs this weekend.
Go Cats! Go Buccs! Come get you some!
cattail
All-American

Postby Total Dominance » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:54 am

Jacktharippa wrote:What do you guys think. I saw a lot of the upperstate thems this weekend at the bilo center and I was very impressed with kennan girls & newberry boys in 2A. I wasn't really impressed with lewisville boys in the 1A divison. Needless to say who I'm pulling for in the 1A girls. Go lady chiefs.

I have seen the McCormick girls play two times this season. I don't know anything about Hemingway but they are, obviously, the "real deal". Timmonsville had most of their players returning from last year's state championship team and the Tigers beat them by 15 in the LSC game. McCormick has been playing well in recent weeks but they had better lift their game to an even higher level on Saturday. Nevertheless, good luck to the Lady Chiefs!

9 state championships (’71, ’81, ’91, ’96, ’10, ’11, ’15, ’16, ’17)
and counting...

formerly known as the #1 Stunna (incognito)
Total Dominance
All-American

Postby Jacktharippa » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:50 pm

Thanks TD. & most of us in McCormick would have been more prepared to play timmonsville because they were the favorite coming into the season. Everyone knew about Eli & the other young lady but we are totally lost about Hemingway. But just like you said beating timmonsvile by 15 speaks volumes. I understand they are a bigger team & we have dominated teams on the glass during this playoff run. We obviously have our work cut out for us.
Jacktharippa
JV

Postby thafortdgrad00 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:04 pm

Here's my take from the LSC game.

Hemmingway is very good from what i've seen at the LSC game. They're sound on defense, and have a very very good inside game. Their point guard, is solid, can drive and knock down the shots. they have some tall girls that can hit some shots from the outside.

Whale Branch- very quick, but tend to turn the ball over on careless passes, if they cut that out, look out. they can really hit the 3. rebounding was a big issue.

Bishop England- not very flashy, play very fundamental basketball, dont really beat themselves. I see Keenan has a good squad, but also see that got killed by Northwood Academy. Northwood wouldnt beat BE.

Lake Marion- ultra athletic, I think they took silver bluff very lightly. This could be a team that will give newberry fits. They remind me of North charleston from last year, except much deeper and better from top to bottom. Those guys can flat out jump. and they do block alot of jump shots. Look for them to slow the pace down to feed the ball inside where they have a decided size advantage from every position.

OW- didnt get to see them, but they're always good. They lost to state last year to Dutch fork, who by far is the best girls team in the state.

Hartsville- didnt get to see them play, but i did last year, and they have everyone back. They're solid on both ends. Jaylen Shaw is the real deal
thafortdgrad00
Varsity

Postby mayorofhooterville » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:58 pm

Boy! Sounds like Newberry might as well just stay home then. Then again, the Bulldogs went out there anyway despite hearing the same things about Spartanburg, Alpharetta, Fairfield Central, Keenan, Landrum, Fort Mill and Aiken. Newberry went 9-0 against those teams this year but we still might want to stay home after hearing all of this about Lake Marion.
mayorofhooterville
JV

Postby Total Dominance » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:06 am

I, along with a lot of other people, don't know much about Lake Marion but they better be awfully good! Having said that, I still like Newberry's chances.

9 state championships (’71, ’81, ’91, ’96, ’10, ’11, ’15, ’16, ’17)
and counting...

formerly known as the #1 Stunna (incognito)
Total Dominance
All-American

Postby bigdog2003 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:43 pm

Newberry is averaging nearly 82 points per game on the season, while giving up only 59.

Lake Marion is averaging 72 points per game and giving up 52.8.

In the playoffs Newberry has turned up the scoring even more, averaging 93 ppg. Lake Marion is right around their season average in the playoffs, scoring 70 ppg.

I think the style Newberry plays will wear Lake Marion down. There aren't many teams that can sub 4 or 5 at a time and not lose much as far as talent goes. Newberry just has the ability to sub and keep guys fresh while the other team can't.

Alpharetta had some pretty good size as well, with 9 guys over 6'3, but Newberry still beat them by 28.
bigdog2003
Varsity

Postby bigdog2003 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:02 pm

thafortdgrad00 wrote:Here's my take from the LSC game.

Hemmingway is very good from what i've seen at the LSC game. They're sound on defense, and have a very very good inside game. Their point guard, is solid, can drive and knock down the shots. they have some tall girls that can hit some shots from the outside.

Whale Branch- very quick, but tend to turn the ball over on careless passes, if they cut that out, look out. they can really hit the 3. rebounding was a big issue.

Bishop England- not very flashy, play very fundamental basketball, dont really beat themselves. I see Keenan has a good squad, but also see that got killed by Northwood Academy. Northwood wouldnt beat BE.

Lake Marion- ultra athletic, I think they took silver bluff very lightly. This could be a team that will give newberry fits. They remind me of North charleston from last year, except much deeper and better from top to bottom. Those guys can flat out jump. and they do block alot of jump shots. Look for them to slow the pace down to feed the ball inside where they have a decided size advantage from every position.

OW- didnt get to see them, but they're always good. They lost to state last year to Dutch fork, who by far is the best girls team in the state.

Hartsville- didnt get to see them play, but i did last year, and they have everyone back. They're solid on both ends. Jaylen Shaw is the real deal

Northwood beat BE 73-49 when they played this year
bigdog2003
Varsity

Postby thafortdgrad00 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:17 pm

Beat them without Michelle Boykin. Without her, BE is a much much different team. BE feed off her energy. and Who say Lake Marion isnt deep. Newberry was way deeper than North charleston last year, but who end up winning that game??? Lake Marion is very deep, and the bench is not a drop off either, with size and skill. they will play as many as 12 or 13+. Newberry do have a uptempo fast pace game, but lake marion dont have to run. they would slow tempo down, and get the ball inside, and believe me, they're very athletic, all of them pretty much can handle the ball. They had trouble last year (newberry) containing #42 anthony "tre" Williams of north charleston (size and athletic ability) imagine 4 of those type players they would see against Lake Marion. This will be one of the best matchups beside Hartsville and Eastside. Lake Marion is very very good, folks, from top to bottom, no drop off with size and skill. Newberry wont wear them down with their subs. The gators will get to the line alot.
thafortdgrad00
Varsity

Next

Return to S.C. Prep Basketball