Nobody can be this dumb.....

Palmetto Football Talk’s Beyond Sports area is a place for you to talk politics, the weather, anything other than sports.

Nobody can be this dumb.....

Postby BiLlYdAkIDd » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:48 am

let's see..........here we have a group of people.........not just one braindead nut, but a group of people......they have done started themselves up a high school booster club............and to raise money they are having a raffle..............but, nobody in this group thought of clearing the raffle with the super and the school board, considering the fact they were raffling off A FREAKING GUN !!!!!!!!!!!.............. :shock: :shock: ......... :lol: :lol: :lol: ..........this is shocking and also hilarious, all at the same time..........just how stupid are these people ???.............

http://www.goupstate.com/article/201302 ... ?p=1&tc=pg
BiLlYdAkIDd
Heisman
 
Posts: 16817
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: Nobody can be this dumb.....

Postby Woodruff Star » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:22 am

They should have cleared it with the admins.

But, this goes to show how ignorant some folks are. That gun is an inanimate object. What would have been dangerous is if they raffled off a man eating tiger or something.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Woodruff Star
Heisman
 
Posts: 11735
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:20 am

Re: Nobody can be this dumb.....

Postby cavaliereagle » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:37 am

These folks had good intentions. I agree, they went about it the wrong way. However, it is a new club. They are simply trying to do something for the kids.
CENTRAL EAGLES MAKE PLAYS...NOT EXCUSES
User avatar
cavaliereagle
Heisman
 
Posts: 28337
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:56 am
Location: Columbia, S.C.

Re: Nobody can be this dumb.....

Postby BiLlYdAkIDd » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:57 pm

cavaliereagle wrote:These folks had good intentions. I agree, they went about it the wrong way. However, it is a new club. They are simply trying to do something for the kids.


i have learned through experience...........some people don't need to try to lead anything to help the kids...........they need to help others do it, but, not lead............it is just unbelievable that SOMEBODY in this group didn't say.........we need to get this cleared........we do have people that dumb in our society...........that's the sad part............
BiLlYdAkIDd
Heisman
 
Posts: 16817
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: Nobody can be this dumb.....

Postby 86Stang » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:42 pm

We have had gun raffles for years as fundraisers for our kids ball teams. No big deal. Now all of the sudden people are super sensitive to everything. If you don't want to win a gun don't enter the dang raffle.
"If you're one of the more than 250 million Americans who already have health insurance, you will keep your health insurance."
Barack Obama on Thursday, June 28th, 2012 in a speech at the White House
User avatar
86Stang
All-American
 
Posts: 2277
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: Nobody can be this dumb.....

Postby BiLlYdAkIDd » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:02 pm

86Stang wrote:We have had gun raffles for years as fundraisers for our kids ball teams. No big deal. Now all of the sudden people are super sensitive to everything. If you don't want to win a gun don't enter the dang raffle.


there is ALOT more to this than that...........you can't stop there.........
BiLlYdAkIDd
Heisman
 
Posts: 16817
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: Nobody can be this dumb.....

Postby footballfan84 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:08 pm

A couple of things about this whole raffle idea.
First off, this isn't the first or only booster club or organization that has held a raffle for a gun to raise money so let's cut them a little slack.

Second, no offense intended but this is Blacksburg that we're talking about and owning a gun is a way of life over there. I have family from there and hunting is a way of life for people in this area.

Third, while I do agree that they should have cleared it through the administration just as a matter of protocol, I don't really see where the district has any liability exposure here. I mean after all, all the school district is getting is the proceeds from the raffle, not the gun or even the gun transaction. How is it really the business of the school district where the money comes from. I'm sure they, like all other school districts have received money from people that have sold guns in the past. In fact, the gun shops that pay property tax and collect sales tax help fund the school.

And lastly, the actual details are being missed here in this forum. What the raffle was actually for is a certificate that can be redeemed at a local gun shop for the purchase of a gun. This purchase also involved a standard background check and no tickets were being sold to anyone under the age of 21. The gun shop was going to be the one that actually did the gun transaction. This raffle isn't any different than someone raffling off an Academy Sports gift card and then the winner using that gift card to go buy a gun at Academy.
Talent alone won't make you a success. Neither will being at the right place at the right time, unless you're ready. The most important question is "are you ready"?
footballfan84
All-American
 
Posts: 1202
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:45 am

Re: Nobody can be this dumb.....

Postby BiLlYdAkIDd » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:22 pm

footballfan84 wrote:A couple of things about this whole raffle idea.
First off, this isn't the first or only booster club or organization that has held a raffle for a gun to raise money so let's cut them a little slack.

Second, no offense intended but this is Blacksburg that we're talking about and owning a gun is a way of life over there. I have family from there and hunting is a way of life for people in this area.

Third, while I do agree that they should have cleared it through the administration just as a matter of protocol, I don't really see where the district has any liability exposure here. I mean after all, all the school district is getting is the proceeds from the raffle, not the gun or even the gun transaction. How is it really the business of the school district where the money comes from. I'm sure they, like all other school districts have received money from people that have sold guns in the past. In fact, the gun shops that pay property tax and collect sales tax help fund the school.

And lastly, the actual details are being missed here in this forum. What the raffle was actually for is a certificate that can be redeemed at a local gun shop for the purchase of a gun. This purchase also involved a standard background check and no tickets were being sold to anyone under the age of 21. The gun shop was going to be the one that actually did the gun transaction. This raffle isn't any different than someone raffling off an Academy Sports gift card and then the winner using that gift card to go buy a gun at Academy.


so..........why was the raffle shut down ???..........if there was nothing wrong with it ???.......do you think the school was wrong to shut it down ???........schools can not be involved in the promotion of gun ownership.........directly or indirectly..........
BiLlYdAkIDd
Heisman
 
Posts: 16817
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: Nobody can be this dumb.....

Postby 86Stang » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:54 pm

BiLlYdAkIDd wrote:
footballfan84 wrote:A couple of things about this whole raffle idea.
First off, this isn't the first or only booster club or organization that has held a raffle for a gun to raise money so let's cut them a little slack.

Second, no offense intended but this is Blacksburg that we're talking about and owning a gun is a way of life over there. I have family from there and hunting is a way of life for people in this area.

Third, while I do agree that they should have cleared it through the administration just as a matter of protocol, I don't really see where the district has any liability exposure here. I mean after all, all the school district is getting is the proceeds from the raffle, not the gun or even the gun transaction. How is it really the business of the school district where the money comes from. I'm sure they, like all other school districts have received money from people that have sold guns in the past. In fact, the gun shops that pay property tax and collect sales tax help fund the school.

And lastly, the actual details are being missed here in this forum. What the raffle was actually for is a certificate that can be redeemed at a local gun shop for the purchase of a gun. This purchase also involved a standard background check and no tickets were being sold to anyone under the age of 21. The gun shop was going to be the one that actually did the gun transaction. This raffle isn't any different than someone raffling off an Academy Sports gift card and then the winner using that gift card to go buy a gun at Academy.


so..........why was the raffle shut down ???..........if there was nothing wrong with it ???.......do you think the school was wrong to shut it down ???........schools can not be involved in the promotion of gun ownership.........directly or indirectly..........



Because everybody cares about PC crap. Nothing more nothing less.
"If you're one of the more than 250 million Americans who already have health insurance, you will keep your health insurance."
Barack Obama on Thursday, June 28th, 2012 in a speech at the White House
User avatar
86Stang
All-American
 
Posts: 2277
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: Nobody can be this dumb.....

Postby footballfan84 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:18 pm

BiLlYdAkIDd wrote:
footballfan84 wrote:A couple of things about this whole raffle idea.
First off, this isn't the first or only booster club or organization that has held a raffle for a gun to raise money so let's cut them a little slack.

Second, no offense intended but this is Blacksburg that we're talking about and owning a gun is a way of life over there. I have family from there and hunting is a way of life for people in this area.

Third, while I do agree that they should have cleared it through the administration just as a matter of protocol, I don't really see where the district has any liability exposure here. I mean after all, all the school district is getting is the proceeds from the raffle, not the gun or even the gun transaction. How is it really the business of the school district where the money comes from. I'm sure they, like all other school districts have received money from people that have sold guns in the past. In fact, the gun shops that pay property tax and collect sales tax help fund the school.

And lastly, the actual details are being missed here in this forum. What the raffle was actually for is a certificate that can be redeemed at a local gun shop for the purchase of a gun. This purchase also involved a standard background check and no tickets were being sold to anyone under the age of 21. The gun shop was going to be the one that actually did the gun transaction. This raffle isn't any different than someone raffling off an Academy Sports gift card and then the winner using that gift card to go buy a gun at Academy.


so..........why was the raffle shut down ???..........if there was nothing wrong with it ???.......do you think the school was wrong to shut it down ???........schools can not be involved in the promotion of gun ownership.........directly or indirectly..........


The raffle was shut down because the school district caved in to political correctness. Yes, I think the school was wrong to shut it down because they accept funds all the time from gun sales via sales tax and property tax. Also the school district wouldn't have a problem with the raffle if it had been for a Bass Pro or Academy Sports gift card and both of those places sell guns so why should they have a problem with receiving proceeds from a raffle that involves a gift card to a gun shop? Also, if the shooting in Connecticut hadn't happened and been so politicized then this would be a non-issue and we wouldn't have even heard about it. Nothing about this raffle says that the school "promotes gun ownership" because the school isn't the one holding the raffle. They are just going to receive proceeds from it. It's a fine line I know but that's my opinion.
I will say though that the new booster club should have thought this out a little better and come up with a better idea in the first place.
Talent alone won't make you a success. Neither will being at the right place at the right time, unless you're ready. The most important question is "are you ready"?
footballfan84
All-American
 
Posts: 1202
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:45 am

Next

Return to Beyond Sports

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron