Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Dabo is in Trouble!

Palmetto Football Talk’s Beyond Sports area is a place for you to talk politics, the weather, anything other than sports.

Dabo is in Trouble!

Postby osu-grad » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:51 am

Kudos to the Freedom of Religion Foundation for attempting to put a stop to Dabo's proselytizing. It seems that Swinney has been pushing Bibles on his players for quite some time.

Can you imagine the outrage from the Bible-thumpers had he been pushing the Quran?

I can't see Clemson supporting Swinney given the litigation costs involved.

Freedom from Religion files complaint to Clemson

The Freedom From Religion Foundation has sent a letter of complaint to Clemson University, citing “constitutional concerns about how the public university’s football program is entangled with religion.”

According to the foundation, Clemson football coach Dabo Swinney has promoted a culture in the program that violates constitutional stipulations of the separation of church and state.

A spokesman for the athletic department declined to comment on the letter. Cathy Sams, the university’s chief public affairs officer, said her department has not completed its review of the letter but said Swinney hasn’t forced his religion onto his players.

“I can’t comment on any of the specifics in the letter or any of the specific concerns,” Sams said. “No one is required to participate in any religious activities related to the football program. It’s purely voluntary. Religion and faith is a big part of Coach Swinney’s personal beliefs, but it is in no way required. There is no mandatory participation.”

The foundation said it had submitted an open records request in February and reviewed emails and published articles.

The foundation, a national nonprofit educational charity based in Madison, Wis., says it is the nation’s largest association of atheists and agnostics. According to Elliott, the organization does not intend to infringe on Swinney’s beliefs, but to ensure that the players’ constitutional rights are protected.

The foundation has recommended the elimination of Clemson’s chaplaincy position, currently held by former Clemson player James Trapp. It contends that Swinney and Trapp have used their positions in the program to proselytize, by arranging Bible studies, organizing devotionals and distributing Bibles and other religious materials.

“What we have observed in the records is that the football coaching staff is doing a number of things to promote Christianity to their student-athletes,” foundation staff attorney Patrick Elliott said.

“While student-athletes can pray, conduct Bible studies and engage in religious activities, the coaching staff, as public employees, should not be doing that with their student athletes.

“What we’d like to see is the end of this chaplaincy position and end to Bible distributions by coaches, an end to devotionals scheduled and put on by coaches and staff. The coaches need to step back and just coach (football) and not coach in religious matters.”

Elliott said people who are employed by the government have a right to express their personal beliefs, “but there’s appropriate channels for that.”

“He has every right to be a religious person and to engage in these activities. But he doesn’t have the right to do that as a part of his university coaching position. There needs to be a complete separation between his religious views and demonstrating that and encouraging that with people under his charge.

“It violates their constitutional rights. Coaches have tremendous influence over players. They make decisions on who has scholarships and who plays and what they do.”

Elliott said the foundation aims to avoid additional litigation.

“That doesn’t serve anyone’s interests. I’d rather see government fix these problems,” Elliott said.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/college/clemson/2014/04/15/organization-files-complaint-clemson/7726663/
The very real war on Christianity is rooted in very real hatred of impotent atheists: partisan62, May 20, 2014
osu-grad
All-American

Re: Dabo is in Trouble!

Postby The_Equalizer » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:15 am

Load of crap. Participation is not mandatory. The Constitution supports freedom OF religion. To state that players and coaches cannot VOLUNTARILY meet and worship together is a violation of their rights as stated in the Constitution.

The Freedom From Religion Foundation is attempting to take their rights away.
The_Equalizer
Varsity

Postby *Topcat* » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:08 pm

You still frettin about the Orange Bowl Yank? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
*Topcat*
All-American

Postby BiLlYdAkIDd » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:20 pm

The_Equalizer wrote:Load of crap. Participation is not mandatory. The Constitution supports freedom OF religion. To state that players and coaches cannot VOLUNTARILY meet and worship together is a violation of their rights as stated in the Constitution.

nobody's rights are being violated.............coaches have ultimate influence over players and because of that they should be neutral on religion or any other personal beliefs.........its just common sense..........what if the soccer coach was muslim and he was spreading his religion and setting up religious study sessions.....and involving his assistants.....i bet you would 100% agree with that..........can't have it both ways.........
dabo better worry about spurrier kicking his butt every time they play and let the preachers worry about religion.......... ;)
BiLlYdAkIDd
Heisman

Postby The_Equalizer » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:39 pm

BiLlYdAkIDd wrote:
The_Equalizer wrote:Load of crap. Participation is not mandatory. The Constitution supports freedom OF religion. To state that players and coaches cannot VOLUNTARILY meet and worship together is a violation of their rights as stated in the Constitution.

nobody's rights are being violated.............coaches have ultimate influence over players and because of that they should be neutral on religion or any other personal beliefs.........its just common sense..........what if the soccer coach was muslim and he was spreading his religion and setting up religious study sessions.....and involving his assistants.....i bet you would 100% agree with that..........can't have it both ways.........
dabo better worry about spurrier kicking his butt every time they play and let the preachers worry about religion.......... ;)

1. What part of the word "voluntary" do you not understand?

2. How much would you care to bet? I'll PM you my name and address, so you can just mail me a check....but the thing would probably bounce to the moon.
The_Equalizer
Varsity

Postby BiLlYdAkIDd » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:51 pm

The_Equalizer wrote:
BiLlYdAkIDd wrote:

2. How much would you care to bet? I'll PM you my name and address, so you can just mail me a check....but the thing would probably bounce to the moon.

voluntary ???.............don't even try hiding behind that........when someone has power over you, voluntary goes right out the window.........anybody knows that.......why do you people play dumb to make pointless arugements ???.......
BiLlYdAkIDd
Heisman

Postby beaudiddley » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:41 pm

BiLlYdAkIDd wrote:
The_Equalizer wrote:
BiLlYdAkIDd wrote:

voluntary ???.............don't even try hiding behind that........when someone has power over you, voluntary goes right out the window.........anybody knows that.......why do you people play dumb to make pointless arugements ???.......

I believe the playing dumb part is so that you can participate in the conversation....
beaudiddley
Heisman

Postby 86Stang » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:42 pm

BiLlYdAkIDd wrote:
The_Equalizer wrote:
BiLlYdAkIDd wrote:

I played college baseball way back when and chapel was always voluntary. Every player did not attend. Some were starters some were not. You can't force your beliefs on anyone. But you can't take a coaches rights away to practice his own either. We prayed before and after every game also.
"If you're one of the more than 250 million Americans who already have health insurance, you will keep your health insurance."
Barack Obama on Thursday, June 28th, 2012 in a speech at the White House
86Stang
All-American

Postby greenville78 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:36 pm

You LWNJ's kill me, always spouting off about things you now NOTHING about. :lol: The idiot from Ohio is just attempting to stir the pot as it has become increasingly clear that he has no life other than showing his ass on a message board, and the idiot from South Carolina is claiming to have inside knowledge of the tyrannical Dabo and his stranglehold over his players religious activities. :lol: Neither of you bozo's has a clue. This is just some LWNJ lawyer trying to swindle a few bucks. Trust me, nothing will come of this, so both of you just shut up. :lol: :lol: :lol:
greenville78
JV

Postby osu-grad » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:47 pm

Can you imagine the outrage from the Bible-thumpers had he been pushing the Quran?

Oh, my Lord!
The very real war on Christianity is rooted in very real hatred of impotent atheists: partisan62, May 20, 2014
osu-grad
All-American

Next

Return to Beyond Sports