The Greenwood Tradition is being DESTROYED!!!

This board covers the teams playing in Class 5A in South Carolina.

The Greenwood Tradition is being DESTROYED!!!

Postby StateChampsGHS » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:53 pm

We need change fast!!! Any suggestions???
Greenwood High Eagles
StateChampsGHS
Varsity

Re: The Greenwood Tradition is being DESTROYED!!!

Postby OnionRings » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:57 pm

getting out of 5A might help. What's your enrollment?
OnionRings
Freshman

Postby eagle93 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:01 pm

[quote=“StateChampsGHS”]We need change fast!!! Any suggestions???[/quote]

I doubt if you get an answer here that you’re looking for, but we all know what needs to change. Both district schools are way below standards despite the town being loaded with athletes. Some of the best athletes won’t play under the current regime and all of the championship assistant coaches ran shortly after the change.
eagle93
All-American

Postby eagle93 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:03 pm

[quote=“OnionRings”]getting out of 5A might help. What’s your enrollment?[/quote]

It has nothing to do with 5A. This team is way below standards. They've always competed in the top with all of these schools. Beat them all one season and went undefeated. Leadership.
eagle93
All-American

Postby StateChampsGHS » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:06 pm

[quote=“OnionRings”]getting out of 5A might help. What’s your enrollment?[/quote]

That's never been an issue at Greenwood until after 2013.
Greenwood High Eagles
StateChampsGHS
Varsity

Postby StateChampsGHS » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:16 pm

Tonight was the worst lost in program history.
Greenwood High Eagles
StateChampsGHS
Varsity

Postby OnionRings » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:30 pm

Are your expectations that they compete with the top teams or beat the top teams and win titles?

no offense to G'Wood, they have a great history, but there are no 5A titles in their future no matter the coach imo. Could they be competitive? sure. Again what is the expectation?

numbers matter in high school football. I could be wrong and correct me if so, but there are 32 teams in 5A? It's been the same story for years. The teams toward the bottom half of enrollment rarely win titles against the biggest schools

Regular 4A use to be like that. To combat it they formed the big 16, and you had 4A division 1 and 4A division 2. It really was a lot more fair for the mid-sized 4A schools.

G'Wood was in 4A division 2 and was a powerhouse. If they got to play in 4A now, they would probably return to glory.

Not saying that being in 5A is THE factor but it is definately A factor, not just for G'Wood, but for all of the teams in the bottom half of 5A

Have you guys lobbied the powers that be over there to make changes? If the community speaks out, the schools usually listen. Anyway I hope G'Wood returns to being a power, the players are there for sure
OnionRings
Freshman

Postby eagle93 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:44 pm

[quote=“OnionRings”]Are your expectations that they compete with the top teams or beat the top teams and win titles?

no offense to G’Wood, they have a great history, but there are no 5A titles in their future no matter the coach imo. Could they be competitive? sure. Again what is the expectation?

numbers matter in high school football. I could be wrong and correct me if so, but there are 32 teams in 5A? It’s been the same story for years. The teams toward the bottom half of enrollment rarely win titles against the biggest schools

Regular 4A use to be like that. To combat it they formed the big 16, and you had 4A division 1 and 4A division 2. It really was a lot more fair for the mid-sized 4A schools.

G’Wood was in 4A division 2 and was a powerhouse. If they got to play in 4A now, they would probably return to glory.

Not saying that being in 5A is THE factor but it is definately A factor, not just for G’Wood, but for all of the teams in the bottom half of 5A

Have you guys lobbied the powers that be over there to make changes? If the community speaks out, the schools usually listen. Anyway I hope G’Wood returns to being a power, the players are there for sure[/quote]

In 2012 they beat them all. This team lost to Easley twice in 5 years after not losing to them in more than 20 years, they didn’t even make the playoffs this season. It’s definitely not the same. 4th in a region with Woodmont coming in 2nd? They're way below standard. We know our school. Right now it wouldn’t win in 4A either.
eagle93
All-American

Postby StateChampsGHS » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:02 am

I love Greenwood but they would have a difficult time in 4A too. They would not beat teams like BHP, Greer, York, South Pointe, Daniel, AC Flora, Hartsville, Bluffton or Myrtle Beach.
Greenwood High Eagles
StateChampsGHS
Varsity

Postby region2 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:05 am

Don't know much about the coach's style at Greenwood, but he was fairly successful before he got to Greenwood. Could it be that Greenwood is just going through one of those cycles where the talent just isn't there like it used to be? Considering the talent on hand down the street at Emerald (and it boggles the mind as to how they have lost so many games) one would think Greenwood would have it's share also, but you never know.
region2
All-American

Next

Return to Class 5A