Dutch Fork and Mallard Creek

This board covers the teams playing in Class 5A in South Carolina.

Re: Dutch Fork and Mallard Creek

Postby silverfox92 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:33 pm

Well this sucks.... the game has been cancelled. Made the ride here for nothing pretty much :x :(
silverfox92
JV

Postby Trojanlatex » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:40 pm

Wow that sucks. Rescheduled ?
Trojanlatex
JV

Postby silverfox92 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:06 am

[quote=“Trojanlatex”]Wow that sucks. Rescheduled ?[/quote]

Coach Knotts wants to play it Monday but Mallard Creek declined. Supposedly it’s supposed to be more news on it tomorrow. One thing for sure is this game has to be played because of the hype leading up to it. The Atmosphere was electric when they were warming up so if it’s played I’m pretty sure the it will be more of the same.

Funny thing is I’m eating at this Waffle House right up the street from the stadium, and it hasn’t rained or lightning at all :x . And NC has this weird rule about the game going into midnight :roll: . Hope MC didn’t get scared when they seen DF step on the field :lol:
silverfox92
JV

Postby btango » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:39 pm

Complete catastrophe and I am not speaking about the weather. Cannot control mother nature and after working in major facility production I understand the potential dangers and unexpectedness of lightening. The logistics of parking, entry, reentry, concessions, communications, et al were a complete debacle. Granted the promoter caught some bad breaks on the parking deck being closed due to safety issues but they did not react well to the situation.

Game was cancelled due to the NCHSAA Director told the MC AD on a phone call with all interested parties around him that the game must be halted at 11:59 am. NOTE that I am not sure if the 11:59 is because the next day is Sunday which NC has a rule against Sunday play. (DISCLAIMER: The NCHSAA will allow when it benefits them as it has three different years for state title games.) If I am paying a director nearly $150,000 a year plus benefits I expect them to be able to make a call in a special circumstance such as this. I am pretty sure that neither coach wanted to do a scrimmage type event. Iknow MC coach wanted to play a full game as did Knotts.

Yes, DF made the offer to play the game Monday at Dutch Fork. I agree 100% with Mallard Creek not doing that as they play their biggest rival, Butler, Friday night, and Butler looked really good in the first game at Memorial. Playing a physical team like DF takes its toll and three days recovery would not be doing what is best for his team.

As a fan I am disappointed. I put a lot of effort to be back in the area for the game. As a person that has worked with high school football for years I am embarrassed. This was a unique circumstance and the decision that was made did not take into account the positives or potential negatives. This is the rule. Is ending the game at 11:59 going to be really different than 12:59 am? No.
btango
JV

Postby region2 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:19 pm

Another part of bad planning was also the start times. Apparently those planning the event wanted it to be an evening event as much as possible. But high school football games are rarely three hour contests these days because of a lot of scoring and incompletions with the number of passes in today's game. The length of the previous game just in itself may have made the MC/DF game hard to complete. And just imagine the riot that would have followed if the game we're close and they had blown the game dead with six minutes left in the 4th quarter at 11:59. The condemned garage problem might have been solved right there as both the garage and stadium itself we're torn apart
region2
All-American

Postby Wildstallion2 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:25 pm

I also was one of the many disappointed people that were standing outside the Memorial Stadium last night, all I can say is ON TO THE NEXT ONE. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI2u70StOgs
Wildstallion2
Varsity

Postby silverfox92 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:28 pm

[quote=“btango”]Complete catastrophe and I am not speaking about the weather. Cannot control mother nature and after working in major facility production I understand the potential dangers and unexpectedness of lightening. The logistics of parking, entry, reentry, concessions, communications, et al were a complete debacle. Granted the promoter caught some bad breaks on the parking deck being closed due to safety issues but they did not react well to the situation.

Game was cancelled due to the NCHSAA Director told the MC AD on a phone call with all interested parties around him that the game must be halted at 11:59 am. NOTE that I am not sure if the 11:59 is because the next day is Sunday which NC has a rule against Sunday play. (DISCLAIMER: The NCHSAA will allow when it benefits them as it has three different years for state title games.) If I am paying a director nearly $150,000 a year plus benefits I expect them to be able to make a call in a special circumstance such as this. I am pretty sure that neither coach wanted to do a scrimmage type event. Iknow MC coach wanted to play a full game as did Knotts.

Yes, DF made the offer to play the game Monday at Dutch Fork. I agree 100% with Mallard Creek not doing that as they play their biggest rival, Butler, Friday night, and Butler looked really good in the first game at Memorial. Playing a physical team like DF takes its toll and three days recovery would not be doing what is best for his team.

As a fan I am disappointed. I put a lot of effort to be back in the area for the game. As a person that has worked with high school football for years I am embarrassed. This was a unique circumstance and the decision that was made did not take into account the positives or potential negatives. This is the rule. Is ending the game at 11:59 going to be really different than 12:59 am? No.[/quote]

I too am disappointed and I also just found out that the game won’t be made up. This is very disappointing to hear two powerhouses won’t even make an effort to play each other.

I do however disagree with Mallard Creek turning the game down for Monday. MC and Butler both have bye weeks on the same week and could have easily played each other then. Seems to me after the game was cancelled coach palmeiri didn’t care about playing at all! I understand rivalry games and giving kids rest but when you prepare the ENTIRE summer for a team and you don’t play the game it really sucks. Butler looked good but I wasn’t all that impressed. They looked like another typical overrated NC team!! SV is sort of a rivalry for DF as well being the only other Midlands team that actually gives us a challenge. Our players would have had to go through the same thing MC would have had to go through so that’s really not an excuse. Really disappointed in the Clt kickoff event and I hope Knotts declines DF from attending any further events.
silverfox92
JV

Postby Carolinasports » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:52 pm

MC could not make that call without the approval of Butler willing to play on the by week and the approval of the head AD. That is not a decision that could be worked out in time. I believe the game would have went down to the wire. I would have love to see them play on Sunday also. OH Well! Both teams move on. .......smh!
Carolinasports
Freshman

Postby 1 CAT FAN » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:04 pm

Hey, Dillon has a bye this Friday and need a 10th game. A Dillon/Dutch Fork match up would be awesome on Monday night.
1 CAT FAN
All-American

Postby silverfox92 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:04 pm

[quote=“1 CAT FAN”]Hey, Dillon has a bye this Friday and need a 10th game. A Dillon/Dutch Fork match up would be awesome on Monday night.[/quote]

Tell Coach Hayes to give Knotts a call. We’re only an Hour and a half away. I’ve seen the Dillon faithful travel to BC and pack the visitor section so you all represent well. I think that would be a better game then Mallard Creek anyway. Of course I still would like DF chances. But The Nasty Cats will be tough out for anyone.
silverfox92
JV

PreviousNext

Return to Class 5A