Mauldin

This board covers the teams playing in Class 5A in South Carolina.

Mauldin

Postby NuclearCav90 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:54 am

The Mauldin Mavericks are actually not that bad of a football team. Their defense is actually pretty good. They need to improve on the offensive side of the ball to really be a factor. But put them in a different region and they probably have a really good record. They beat Spartanburg, yes a down Spartanburg I know, but the same Spartanburg that nearly knocked off Dorman...that was a nice win for them. The battle for the Golden Strip against Hillcrest this week should be a great game. The Rams took the game these guys played in August, but I think these teams have gone in opposite directions since then and the Mavericks take this one.
NuclearCav90
JV

Re: Mauldin

Postby WarPaint74 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:27 pm

I agree 100%.
Put Mauldin in any other region in the state and I think they’re sitting in either first or second place in that region right now.
Hillside and Riverside would probably have much improved records in any other region also.
Everybody knows, but probably won’t admit, that this has historically been the toughest region in the state, except perhaps for the couple of years that Gaffney and Spartanburg were moved into the region with the Rock Hill schools.
I’m not going to waste time looking it up, but I’d be willing to bet that this region has won more state championships than all other 5A regions combined.
GAFFNEY INDIANS 2018 time state champions
“Hoka hey, it’s a good day to die!”
WarPaint74
All-American

Postby DHSCavsFan » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:37 pm

[quote=“WarPaint74”]I agree 100%.
Put Mauldin in any other region in the state and I think they’re sitting in either first or second place in that region right now.
Hillside and Riverside would probably have much improved records in any other region also.
Everybody knows, but probably won’t admit, that this has historically been the toughest region in the state, except perhaps for the couple of years that Gaffney and Spartanburg were moved into the region with the Rock Hill schools.
I’m not going to waste time looking it up, but I’d be willing to bet that this region has won more state championships than all other 5A regions combined.[/quote]
Riverside would not be good even on 3a level.
DHSCavsFan
Varsity

Postby WarPaint74 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:51 pm

I didn't say good, just much improved. :D
GAFFNEY INDIANS 2018 time state champions
“Hoka hey, it’s a good day to die!”
WarPaint74
All-American

Postby region2 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:27 am

Mauldin is ok. Don't know if they finish first, or second, in any other region, but not bad. Mauldin and Hillcrest are the two biggest schools in Greenville County, so they have the numbers.
region2
All-American

Postby utrocket99 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:19 am

Mauldin is good yes but lets not get carried away here. They do play in arguably the best conference in 5A. BUT lets not pretend like they'd run through other regions.

Mauldin would have definite issues with TL Hanna. Heck Mauldin would have close contests with Westside and Woodmont in that region. Couple things don't go right here and there on a couple Friday nights and they ain't finishing much higher than 4th in region 1.

Mauldin would NOT beat Rock Hill or Northwestern in region 3 either. They might even have trouble with Nation Ford to be honest.

I get it, Mauldin isn't bad at all. And we're trying to toss em a bone. Cool. But lets not for a minute believe that the mav would be turned loose in any other region.
utrocket99
Freshman

Postby NuclearCav90 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:06 pm

It looks like the Mauldin-Hillcrest game will be for a playoff spot. The winner will be the 5th seed in Region 2, and they will face TL Hanna in the first round. The loser likely misses the playoffs. I think Mauldin’s defense is the difference. And while I don’t think they can beat Hanna, that defense will allow them to keep Hanna from running away from them...they held Dorman to 22 and Gaffney to 27. And don’t give me any BS about Hanna being better than Dorman or Gaffney. Right now, just as I predicted earlier, Dorman and Gaffney are the best teams in the upstate and will meet for the upper state title, with only Byrnes perhaps having a chance to stop this from happening.

Hanna will likely play Northwestern or Boiling Springs in the second round. I think it will end up being NW and the Trojans will take care of Hanna before meeting their fate against Dorman the following week. Hanna is overrated and will bow out early just like last season.
NuclearCav90
JV

Postby DHSCavsFan » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:56 am

[quote=“NuclearCav90”]It looks like the Mauldin-Hillcrest game will be for a playoff spot. The winner will be the 5th seed in Region 2, and they will face TL Hanna in the first round. The loser likely misses the playoffs. I think Mauldin’s defense is the difference. And while I don’t think they can beat Hanna, that defense will allow them to keep Hanna from running away from them...they held Dorman to 22 and Gaffney to 27. And don’t give me any BS about Hanna being better than Dorman or Gaffney. Right now, just as I predicted earlier, Dorman and Gaffney are the best teams in the upstate and will meet for the upper state title, with only Byrnes perhaps having a chance to stop this from happening.

Hanna will likely play Northwestern or Boiling Springs in the second round. I think it will end up being NW and the Trojans will take care of Hanna before meeting their fate against Dorman the following week. Hanna is overrated and will bow out early just like last season.[/quote]

If Mauldin wins, yes they get the 5th spot, but if Hillcrest wins there will be a 3 way tie. With this, most likely Spartanburg gets the 5th seed from the region. Remember it is how you finish the 3rd Q that breaks a 3-way tie. Right now the tie-breaker stands as:

Spartanburg - +14
Mauldin - 0
Hillcrest - -14

So Mauldin and Hillcrest both have their work cut out for them. Hillcrest would need to be ahead by 29 point at the end of the 3rd Q to win the tie breaker. If Mauldin was to lose, they would need to be ahead by 14 at the end of the 3rd.
DHSCavsFan
Varsity

Postby Hanseatic » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:09 am

[quote=“DHSCavsFan”][quote=“NuclearCav90”]It looks like the Mauldin-Hillcrest game will be for a playoff spot. The winner will be the 5th seed in Region 2, and they will face TL Hanna in the first round. The loser likely misses the playoffs. I think Mauldin’s defense is the difference. And while I don’t think they can beat Hanna, that defense will allow them to keep Hanna from running away from them...they held Dorman to 22 and Gaffney to 27. And don’t give me any BS about Hanna being better than Dorman or Gaffney. Right now, just as I predicted earlier, Dorman and Gaffney are the best teams in the upstate and will meet for the upper state title, with only Byrnes perhaps having a chance to stop this from happening.

Hanna will likely play Northwestern or Boiling Springs in the second round. I think it will end up being NW and the Trojans will take care of Hanna before meeting their fate against Dorman the following week. Hanna is overrated and will bow out early just like last season.[/quote]

If Mauldin wins, yes they get the 5th spot, but if Hillcrest wins there will be a 3 way tie. With this, most likely Spartanburg gets the 5th seed from the region. Remember it is how you finish the 3rd Q that breaks a 3-way tie. Right now the tie-breaker stands as:

Spartanburg - +14
Mauldin - 0
Hillcrest - -14

So Mauldin and Hillcrest both have their work cut out for them. Hillcrest would need to be ahead by 29 point at the end of the 3rd Q to win the tie breaker. If Mauldin was to lose, they would need to be ahead by 14 at the end of the 3rd.[/quote]

You are correct but don't forget that the three-way tie breaker only serves to determine who wins the tie breaker. It does not rank all three teams 1-2-3. So let's say that Hillcrest beats Mauldin but does not lead by the 29 points nor trail by 15 or more at the end of 3 like you say above. Spartanburg wins the #5 seed then the #6 seed tie breaker starts over. Both Hillcrest and Mauldin would go to head-to-head which would mean Hillcrest gets the #6 seed and is allowed to submit a resume to get the at large berth.

If Mauldin leads by 15 at the end of three quarters, but Hillcrest comes back to win, then Mauldin gets the #5 seed and Hillcrest/Spartanburg goes back to head-to-head and Spartanburg gets the #6 seed and the at large opportunity. Hillcrest as #7 seed would be out. You have to finish #6 in Region II-AAAAA to be eligible for the at large spot.

If Mauldin wins they get #5, Spartanburg #6, & Hillcrest #7 with no tie breakers.
Hillcrest Rams - 2014 AAAA Division I State Champions
Hanseatic
Freshman

Postby oli3 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:33 pm

[quote=“Hanseatic”]

You are correct but don’t forget that the three-way tie breaker only serves to determine who wins the tie breaker. It does not rank all three teams 1-2-3. So let’s say that Hillcrest beats Mauldin but does not lead by the 29 points nor trail by 15 or more at the end of 3 like you say above. Spartanburg wins the #5 seed then the #6 seed tie breaker starts over. Both Hillcrest and Mauldin would go to head-to-head which would mean Hillcrest gets the #6 seed and is allowed to submit a resume to get the at large berth.

If Mauldin leads by 15 at the end of three quarters, but Hillcrest comes back to win, then Mauldin gets the #5 seed and Hillcrest/Spartanburg goes back to head-to-head and Spartanburg gets the #6 seed and the at large opportunity. Hillcrest as #7 seed would be out. You have to finish #6 in Region II-AAAAA to be eligible for the at large spot.

If Mauldin wins they get #5, Spartanburg #6, & Hillcrest #7 with no tie breakers.[/quote]

So, realistically, Mauldin gets two shots at finishing fifth.... either be ahead by 15 at the end of the third quarter (and it won't matter who wins) or win the game at the end.

Hillcrest's hopes would seem to be just to win the game and go for the wild card. The Mauldin defense isn't likely to give up a ton of points. OTOH, If Hillcrest were actually ahead in the third quarter by, say 21-0 and scored one more touchdown, wouldn't it be weird to see them pull the kicker and go for two?
oli3
JV

Next

Return to Class 5A