gaffney was challenged to a game in miami this coming season

This board covers the teams playing in Class 5A in South Carolina.

gaffney was challenged to a game in miami this coming season

Postby notabyrnesfan » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:54 pm

dan jones turned it down due to financial reasons. i know the school board over there is cheap and always cries lack of funds but couldnt they have held some fundraisers between now and then? this would have been a great opportunity for the kids on gaffneys team.
notabyrnesfan
All-American

Re: gaffney was challenged to a game in miami this coming se

Postby Colbyc36 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:19 pm

I for one wish Miami would have gotten some of that Gaffney action. Them boys don't know football like these parts.
"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself." Mark Twain
Colbyc36
Varsity

Postby FireWater » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:17 pm

notabyrnesfan wrote:dan jones turned it down due to financial reasons. i know the school board over there is cheap and always cries lack of funds but couldnt they have held some fundraisers between now and then? this would have been a great opportunity for the kids on gaffneys team.

They won't even pay to put mulch around the trees in the parking lot or replace burned out lights on the scoreboards so what makes anyone think they'd pay to send those kids to Miami.
ITS NOT A LIE IF YOU BELIEVE IT
FireWater
Freshman

Postby tomahawk97 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:22 am

notabyrnesfan wrote:dan jones turned it down due to financial reasons. i know the school board over there is cheap and always cries lack of funds but couldnt they have held some fundraisers between now and then? this would have been a great opportunity for the kids on gaffneys team.
Dan Jones, Donnie Littlejohn and this current school board is the worst thing that could happen to the whole Cherokee County community. This would have been a once in a lifetime deal for a lot of these kids and we all Gaffney people know they could have gotten plenty of support from the business in the community with donations and plenty of people would have been willing to travel for the game. Gaffney football will never be on a national level with the clowns we have running the program.
tomahawk97
JV

Postby Friday Night Light » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:36 am

tomahawk97 wrote:
Dan Jones, Donnie Littlejohn and this current school board is the worst thing that could happen to the whole Cherokee County community. This would have been a once in a lifetime deal for a lot of these kids and we all Gaffney people know they could have gotten plenty of support from the business in the community with donations and plenty of people would have been willing to travel for the game. Gaffney football will never be on a national level with the clowns we have running the program.

How does he have anything to do with this?
Friday Night Light
Freshman

Postby FireWater » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:48 pm

Friday Night Light wrote:
tomahawk97 wrote:

I agree, what does Donnie have to do with the Miami decision? I know he gets trashed a lot for the way he runs the offense and I won't try and defend him on that. However, I don't hear the same screaming about the defense giving up 40 points or the special teams play that cost us some games. He may only know 5 plays but at least the offense does put some points on the board. He can't help it that the defense can't stop anyone or that the kicking team gives up HUGE returns over and over.
FireWater
Freshman

Postby tomahawk97 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:09 am

FireWater wrote:
tomahawk97 wrote:

I agree, what does Donnie have to do with the Miami decision? I know he gets trashed a lot for the way he runs the offense and I won't try and defend him on that. However, I don't hear the same screaming about the defense giving up 40 points or the special teams play that cost us some games. He may only know 5 plays but at least the offense does put some points on the board. He can't help it that the defense can't stop anyone or that the kicking team gives up HUGE returns over and over.
You wouldn't believe how much power Littlejohn has with not only the football program but with what goes on in the school. Him Dan are basically equal when it comes to the Gaffney high program and yall are right about the defense it has been suspect to bad the last couple of years along with the special teams but if you have watched the Boiling springs game in the playoffs this past season our defense played well enough to win it was our offense that couldn't produce when we needed it to. Our offense has relied on big plays to score the last couple of years we haven't really been able to sustain any drives in big games to keep our defense rested when we needed to.
tomahawk97
JV

Postby FireWater » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:17 pm

tomahawk97 wrote:
FireWater wrote:
tomahawk97 wrote:

You wouldn't believe how much power Littlejohn has with not only the football program but with what goes on in the school. Him Dan are basically equal when it comes to the Gaffney high program and yall are right about the defense it has been suspect to bad the last couple of years along with the special teams but if you have watched the Boiling springs game in the playoffs this past season our defense played well enough to win it was our offense that couldn't produce when we needed it to. Our offense has relied on big plays to score the last couple of years we haven't really been able to sustain any drives in big games to keep our defense rested when we needed to.

We've relied on great athletes to carry us for a lot of years. Last couple of seasons we didn't have a Shaq or a Foster to turn a poorly ran offense into big plays. I watched those two turn poorly called and busted plays into huge gains because they had the ability to run around like their hair was on fire and score. With those type of guys gone it has exposed the poor play calling in my opinion.
FireWater
Freshman

Postby 1CANNON » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:02 pm

While I agree it's great to have a Shaq, & Hyleck Ayers,, Bobby Bentley showed you how to win without a super star.
With the right preparation
With the right game plan
With the right Coaching

None of which Gaffney has had since Strickland left.

I have no hate for Dan or Dummy Littlejohn but, give these young men the best opportunity,, get them a coach.
YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH!
1CANNON
All-American

Postby FireWater » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:10 pm

1CANNON wrote:While I agree it's great to have a Shaq, & Hyleck Ayers,, Bobby Bentley showed you how to win without a super star.
With the right preparation
With the right game plan
With the right Coaching

None of which Gaffney has had since Strickland left.

I have no hate for Dan or Dummy Littlejohn but, give these young men the best opportunity,, get them a coach.

You nailed it! It takes preparation, game planning and coaching. Bentley didn't always have the most talented team on the field but they knew how to win with the players they had. As much as I dislike Byrnes and Bentley I will never take anything away from what he did there. They were the dominant team in South Carolina for a little over a decade and that didn't happen by accident. He provided the blueprint but for some reason the people over here in Gaffney have no interest in trying to follow it.
FireWater
Freshman

Next

Return to Class 5A