What we learned!!!

This board covers the teams playing in Class 5A in South Carolina.

Re: What we learned!!!

Postby 3-3 Stack » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:32 am

This game has become too political. The best of the best at every position was there? I doubt it. Coaches have favorites and they choose them. I have said this before there needs to be a neutral site where opposing coaches can rate players throughout the state. I don't believe a 185 pound running back and a 125 pound running back were the best choices for SC.
3-3 Stack
All-American

Postby likeitRnot » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:08 am

The fact that every Shrine bowl coach can take a player or is it two, is also unfair,
JMHO!!!
likeitRnot
All-American

Postby btango » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:19 pm

[quote=“1 CAT FAN”]Oh... I think South Carolina did exceptionally well with a record of 15-6 vs NC schools. Scoring SC 703 - NC 352[list][/quote]

I remember a when a couple of strong schools from each state would play and NC would get the better of the matchups and SC fans would point to the Shrine Bowl victory or just the opposite with SC doing better. No true way to determine and I have always said an all star game is definitely not the way even in a blow out but neither are matchups between the states that pit teams that are not very evenly matched or even teams that are not elite.

Take a close look at those games and think about the schools involved. Not really easy to determine which state is stronger based on these outcomes considering the teams involved.

I do think the quality of football in SC is better top to bottom. I think the best teams in the two states are usually very close to one another.

There is one game with two elite larger classification schools playing, Harding (NC 4A state champs) playing Gaffney (5A Upstate runnerup). Gaffney lost five games by 24 points and worst loss was by seven to Dorman, the state runnerup that was one play from the win.

Socastee SC 39 West Brunswick NC 14
5A 5-6 v 3A 4-8
Socastee SC 43 North Brunswick NC 20
5A 5-6 v 3A 1-10
Carolina Forest SC 24 Providence Day NC 7
5A 6-6 v Private 9-3
Carolina Forest SC 0 Hoggard NC 21
5A 6-6 v 4A 13-1 (lost in 4A semi final)
Dutch Fork SC 51 Independence NC
5A 14-1 (state champ) v 4A 2-9
Northwestern SC 45 South Mecklenburg NC 0
5A 7-5 v 4A 2-9
Clover SC 56 Ashbrook NC 26
5A 3-7 v 3A 4-8
Clover SC 41 Forestview NC 5
5A 3-7 v 3A 4-8
Clover SC 42 Huss NC 41
5A 3-7 v 3A 8-5
Clover SC 0 South Point NC 28
5A 3-7 v 2A 12-1
North Myrtle Beach SC 38 West Brunswick NC 12
4A 12-1 v 3A 4-8
Myrtle Beach SC 51 Charlotte Christian NC 54
4A 7-5 v Private 10-1
Gaffney SC 28 Harding NC 35
5A 9-5 v 4A 14-1
South Pointe SC 25 Shelby NC 0
4A 15-0 v 2A 12-3
Dillon SC 42 Lumberton NC 0
3A 15-0 v 4A 2-9
Chesterfield SC 44 Anson NC 12
2A 9-3 v 3A 4-8
Loris SC 12 South Columbus NC 20
3A 4-7 v 2A 12-2
Buford SC 27 Parkwood NC 24
4A 7-2 v 2A 2-9
Andrew Jackson SC 14 Providence Day NC 19
2A 3-7 v Private 9-3
Green Sea Floyds SC 31 East Columbus NC 0
1A 6-6 v 1A 1-10
Lake View SC 50 South Robeson NC 6
1A 8-3 v 1A 1-10
btango
JV

Postby 1 CAT FAN » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:57 am

Seems as if something miraculous happened to this elite Harding Uni. program.
    2017 14-1
    2016 5-7
    2015 1-10
    2014 1-9
    2013 3-7
    2012 1-9
    2011 3-7
    2010 3-9
    2009 4-7
    2008 3-8
    2007 6-6
    2006 3-8
    2005 1-11
    2004 2-8
      How do you think they would fare in Gaffney’s region year to year?
      1 CAT FAN
      All-American

Postby btango » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:08 pm

Harding has returned to having a full school district that feeds into it. It was a magnet setup. Neighborhoods students could attend although they were home distracted to other schools.

They also got a coach who is as enthusiastic as it gets, coaches and works like a maniac, got the kids to buy in to the "team as a family". Also, a run of really elite talent to go along with very good ball players.
      btango
      JV

Postby DeCavelier » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:01 pm

I know it's kind of an obvious statement to make but the Shrine Bowl exists to raise money for Shriner's hospitials. Also these players are on their way to a college career and possibly an NFL career.

Who was the Goose Creek player recruited by Georgia who injured his leg in the Shrine Bowl back in 2011?

I'm just glad all the kids made it through the game without serious injuries. I consider it $20 well spent regardless of which state gets the win. Congrats to NC, I thought they played a stellar game that day.
      “Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine.”- Elvis Presley
      DeCavelier
      All-American

Postby 1CANNON » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:09 pm

[quote=“btango”]Harding has returned to having a full school district that feeds into it. It was a magnet setup. Neighborhoods students could attend although they were home distracted to other schools.

They also got a coach who is as enthusiastic as it gets, coaches and works like a maniac, got the kids to buy in to the “team as a family”. Also, a run of really elite talent to go along with very good ball players.[/quote]

All of the above is absolutely true. It also fares well when the team has one of the best, highly recruited RB'S in the state of N.C.
      YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH!
      1CANNON
      All-American

Postby btango » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:22 pm

[quote=“1CANNON”][quote=“btango”]Harding has returned to having a full school district that feeds into it. It was a magnet setup. Neighborhoods students could attend although they were home distracted to other schools.

They also got a coach who is as enthusiastic as it gets, coaches and works like a maniac, got the kids to buy in to the “team as a family”. Also, a run of really elite talent to go along with very good ball players.[/quote]

All of the above is absolutely true. It also fares well when the team has one of the best, highly recruited RB’S in the state of N.C.[/quote]

He was one of the "elite talent" I was referencing.
      btango
      JV

Postby Wildstallion2 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:59 pm

One thing that I think could help South Carolina have a better team in the future in the Shrine Bowl is when picking a Head Coach for the Shrine Bowl, to not just pick just one Head Coach, but pick one Head Coach that is a good running offense Coach, and one that is a good passing offense Coach, and based on what players are picked to play in the Shrine Bowl, especially when it comes to positions like Quarterback, let the best of the two Head Coaches lead the team, this year we had a lot of passing offense Quarterbacks, and a Running offense Head Coach, we were doomed from GET-GO. Gutshaw has tried to move more toward the passing offense the last couple of seasons, but mid-season this year he realized it was not working, and he went back to what he knows, the running offense were he has the most success.
      Wildstallion2
      Varsity

Postby 1 CAT FAN » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:53 pm

btango wrote:Harding has returned to having a full school district that feeds into it. It was a magnet setup. Neighborhoods students could attend although they were home distracted to other schools.

They also got a coach who is as enthusiastic as it gets, coaches and works like a maniac, got the kids to buy in to the “team as a family”. Also, a run of really elite talent to go along with very good ball players.
        Is this the same coach that went 6-17 his previous two seasons, good thing he got it turned around. I remember Dillon’s losing streak back in 1990-91 where they went 1-21, needless to say that coach got run out of town. Home town alum Jackie Hayes was hired and Dillon hasn’t had a losing season since.
          Seems as if we’re stepping on each others toes attempting to defend our perspective states poor performance on the gridiron. SC’s dismal display in the Shrine Bowl and NC’s inept ability to schedule common competition. One observation though, 4A Lumberton is definitely no Mallard Creek. Dillon dominated the game 42-0, at least when ( 2A Dillon, at the time ) played Mallard Creek the games were competitive even in our loss 28-21 & 7-3. The same can be said for lower class Shelby vs South Pointe 25-0, most of the juggernaut South Pointe competition were blow outs.
            If this Harding Uni. continues to be successful ( other than the 1 season ) it could possibly mean trouble for Mallard Creek, aren’t both from the Charlotte area. Let’s just see what Harding can do for an encore before handing out elite status.
            1 CAT FAN
            All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Class 5A