What we learned!!!

This board covers the teams playing in Class 5A in South Carolina.

Re: What we learned!!!

Postby region2 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:14 pm

Really surprised with folks that apparently take the Shrine Bowl so seriously. NC has almost twice the population as SC. So just on numbers alone they should have a majority of the better players in the game. It’s an exhibition to raise money for a great cause. And an honor for the players that get selected. Other than that, I really don’t know that strategy developed in a week, or who wins, ever troubled me at all.
region2
All-American

Postby btango » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:57 pm

[quote=“Wildstallion2”]One thing that I think could help South Carolina have a better team in the future in the Shrine Bowl is when picking a Head Coach for the Shrine Bowl, to not just pick just one Head Coach, but pick one Head Coach that is a good running offense Coach, and one that is a good passing offense Coach, and based on what players are picked to play in the Shrine Bowl, especially when it comes to positions like Quarterback, let the best of the two Head Coaches lead the team, this year we had a lot of passing offense Quarterbacks, and a Running offense Head Coach, we were doomed from GET-GO. Gutshaw has tried to move more toward the passing offense the last couple of seasons, but mid-season this year he realized it was not working, and he went back to what he knows, the running offense were he has the most success.[/quote]

Dave Gutshall coached teams that made national lists or set national passing/receiving records. He was the first coach I remember in high school football in the Carolinas to really air it out. He went from the wishbone to the spread in a couple of years when he saw his talent changing in the 1980′s. Believe me, Dave Gutshall can coach the pass. SC had one QB (of the three) that could make the quick read and get rid of the ball without hesitation throwing a rope on target. NC’s front seven dominated for the most part which is part of this game for several years. Their size and speed took away the edge allowing the other two QBs to make big plays with their feet.
btango
JV

Postby 1 CAT FAN » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:08 pm

Dillon’s Jackie Hayes was named the head coach for South Carolina squad in the 2018 Shrine Bowl.
    This will be Hayes’ fourth appearance in the annual all-star game. He was a manager for the game in the early 1970s, played in the 1979 game and was an assistant in the 2003 game. Hayes, who also is South Carolina state representative, has won more than 300 games and won his seventh state title earlier this month against Chapman. All of the titles have come since 2008. Assistant coaches for the SC squad will be Fort Dorchester’s Steve LaPrad, Baptist Hill’s Marion Brown, Bethune Bowman’s Ken Tucker, Spartanburg’s Chris Miller and Hanahan’s Steve Blanchard.
      http://www.thestate.com/sports/high-school/prep-football/article190174024.html
        Hayes’ philosophy on offense is the spread with a balance attack to keep defense’s honest. Hayes' defense is known for it's physical play, dubbed the "Nastycats". Defensively 4/3 with a versatile 3/4.
          The Sandlappers again will have a tough task though with NC Head Coach Steven Davis of Dudley, Assistants Mike Palmeiri of Mallard Creek, Reggie Lucas of Wake Forest and Antonio Moore of Northeastern.
          Image3A State Champions
          1 CAT FAN
          All-American

Postby 3-3 Stack » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:46 pm

[quote=“region2”]Really surprised with folks that apparently take the Shrine Bowl so seriously. NC has almost twice the population as SC. So just on numbers alone they should have a majority of the better players in the game. It’s an exhibition to raise money for a great cause. And an honor for the players that get selected. Other than that, I really don’t know that strategy developed in a week, or who wins, ever troubled me at all.[/quote]
          You do realize SC has the winning record in this series, right?
          3-3 Stack
          All-American

Previous

Return to Class 5A