New Riverside Coach

This board covers the teams playing in Class 5A in South Carolina.

Re: New Riverside Coach

Postby region2 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:12 am

Hope your tongue doesn’t bore a hole in your cheek with that comment. But seriously, not sure it really mattered who they chose. When Frost left and the administration decided to give the AD job to the girls volleyball coach, the principal effectively ran a couple of real quality candidates and effectively killed off a program that was having decent success at the 3A level at that time. At the 5 A level, and especially in the region they are entering, the chances of Riverside even sniffing the playoffs are slim to none, with slim probably being out of reach. No head coach with any level of success anywhere would want the job. Even assistants are aware that they don’t want their first job to be a career killer. So maybe Riverside decided to take the easiest way out and hire the in house guy that is most politically correct for the school. Seems that way.
region2
All-American

Postby AMA-MAN » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:16 am

You are correct-- " It is a coaching graveyard"
AMA-MAN
Freshman

Postby dodgem37 » Sun May 20, 2018 9:11 am

I have been out of the loop for awhile so when I heard this I was shocked. During his time as Offensive coordinator I can say his play calling had no creativity or balance. He would run the same play 3 times in a row, just because it works in practice does not mean it will work in a real game. I think back to Coach Smith's highwater mark of 4 years ago, Riverside made the playoffs on the grit of their defense and having a world class strength coach who left for NBC the next year. During the last regular game against Dorman Martin did not call a single pass play, not one. Riverside went 3 and out all night long. What was the logic? Saving all our "good" plays for the playoffs? NO, you should have used the that game tune up your offense to face Spartanburg.
Advice to Coach Martin, 1. put your best athlete at QB, not the son of the biggest booster. 2. focus on conditioning, bring back some of the Nova toughness, 3. Hire the Chess team Coach as offense coordinator, with your talent pool you have to out think the defense. Run the swipe 5 times to set up a scissor play.
Good luck Coach Martin, I will be at the games to support Riverside no matter what
Show no Mercy.... Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you.....for your greatness will silence them all
dodgem37
JV

Postby blister » Tue May 22, 2018 10:08 am

Maybe you were shocked when he got the job. But not sure Riverside had many options. As someone said above, with Riverside's spotty history, and the region they will be in, Riverside wasn't going to get a lot of good candidates to apply. Choice may have been based on whomever fir in at Riverside the best that was already on staff. And as far as his play calling, he could have been doing what he was told by the head coach to shorten the game.
blister
Freshman

Previous

Return to Class 5A