What is it with the bands?

This is the forum for those who don't want to talk trash, don't want to bash teams, etc. Just for people who want to have serious conversations about high school football.

What is it with the bands?

Postby Vince Lombardi » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:41 pm

It's August, the football players are dressing out in uniform and playing in the heat. Why not the bands? BSHS has a good band. They win competitions. But they are a complete waste at the football games. Last Friday night, they played exactly one song. At least they could close their half-time performance with an excited version of the fight song as they left the field wearing their shorts and T-shirts. And the guitar player down there making a feeble attempt to be Slash just doesn't cut it.

If the bands are all about competitions, keep them away from the football games. If they want to play at the football games, let them do what bands are traditionally supposed to do. No lining up before the game so the team can run through a tunnel with the fight song playing. What about the national anthem on the field? I mean no matter how a band sounds, no matter how good they do in band competitions, if they do not do what bands traditionally do they are taking away from the friday night football experience.
Vince Lombardi
Freshman

Re: What is it with the bands?

Postby jgheagleband » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:18 am

So what's your version of what "bands traditionally do at the football games"?
jgheagleband
Freshman

Postby bigdog2003 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:02 pm

I agree. Friday night the band here took 11 minutes to get on the field for halftime, played 1 song, and looked around amazed that the teams were coming back out. Heard the band director say something about not getting to finish. Does it really take 10 or more minutes to get on the field?
bigdog2003
Varsity

Postby Vince Lombardi » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:05 pm

Maybe the bands need to eliminated from the football games. Could be a huge cost saving.
Vince Lombardi
Freshman

Postby Woodruff Cheerleader » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:27 pm

:shock: :? ........That would be a huge revenue loss.................. :roll: don't most bands pay their own way. :?: ....think I've heard that somewhere :?: ....
Bone-Crusher: The Wolverine is a powerful animal, and has no trouble running down its victims.
Woodruff Cheerleader
JV

Postby Vince Lombardi » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:04 am

That' is a lot of seats that could be sold to someone who watches football. But the point is that at many schools bands have abdicated the traditional role they have played at football games and it sucks. Once they added a great deal to the Friday Night Lights environment. Now at many schools they are only concerned with those stupid band competitions who nobody but the parents really give a fart about.
Vince Lombardi
Freshman

Postby Talent2 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:33 pm

as a former high school band member it is very hard to have a uniform ready for every member by the first game, you have to remember that unlike football most bands are run with the band students paying $500+ in fees. Fees that are needed to get uniforms cleaned and fitted, to pay for buses, because for some reason the band can't use the schools bus ( may not be that way for all schools ) to pay for music that they play in the stands.

And as for playing in the stands, if you only have one song something is wrong and you probably should not have showed up, and while I think every band should play the national anthem on the field, I remember being told a lot time were not playing it because they want someone from chorus to sing it, or they would rather have a recordingor they just want us off the field. (head coach did not like the band on his field)

And for the half time show, for the first game it is very common to only have the first couple of minutes of your show done. Most go to there first completion with only a third of there show complete. I march in college now and we will not have a complete show for our first home game and we will be wearing polos to our first game (although it an away game)
Talent2
Freshman

Postby cavaliereagle » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:14 am

Talent2 wrote:as a former high school band member it is very hard to have a uniform ready for every member by the first game, you have to remember that unlike football most bands are run with the band students paying $500+ in fees. Fees that are needed to get uniforms cleaned and fitted, to pay for buses, because for some reason the band can't use the schools bus ( may not be that way for all schools ) to pay for music that they play in the stands.

And as for playing in the stands, if you only have one song something is wrong and you probably should not have showed up, and while I think every band should play the national anthem on the field, I remember being told a lot time were not playing it because they want someone from chorus to sing it, or they would rather have a recordingor they just want us off the field. (head coach did not like the band on his field)

And for the half time show, for the first game it is very common to only have the first couple of minutes of your show done. Most go to there first completion with only a third of there show complete. I march in college now and we will not have a complete show for our first home game and we will be wearing polos to our first game (although it an away game)

I've, at one time or another been a member of the booster clubs at several different high schools. I've never heard of fees anywhere near that level. Someone really stuck it to you.
CENTRAL EAGLES MAKE PLAYS...NOT EXCUSES
cavaliereagle
Heisman

Postby Talent2 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:04 am

Yeah I never had to pay the whole thing because of fundraising, and i heard we had one of the higher band fees but we also went to more away games and comps then some. Plus our fee also went for things like winter drumline so the actual fee for just marching band was less. I have never heard of any band that had fees less then 200, unless they had good support from there school, such as being able to use the schools buses to go to comps that saves a lot of money.
Talent2
Freshman

Postby Vince Lombardi » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:54 pm

Don't get me wrong. I respect all the hard work that the band kids and their leaders put it. But it would be so much better if they had a more traditional role at football games.
Vince Lombardi
Freshman

Next

Return to No Trash, No Bash