Ponder This! A Transfer rule thread.

This board covers the 48 teams that make up the top classification in South Carolina. Discuss the Big 16 and Division II teams and players.

Re: Ponder This! A Transfer rule thread.

Postby 5thqtr » Sun May 13, 2018 9:53 pm

Sack the back - exactly! Nobody is saying it is the end all solution. The kid. The parents have to understand nothing is promised. You still have to work. But what you said about "if the HC/staff is component" is the part. How many more examples of the booster club picking starters do people need? Or a HC who is bound and determined to show some kids parents who the boss is? Nothing the kid did but to get at the parents. And yeah, they maybe barked some. But, why take it out on the team? Kid? If you were proven right, they owe you an apology. Or what about family playing instead of a more talented kid. Seen a bunch of that too. The option shouldn't be so stern because it gives those type actions a pass! My opinion of course, not the law.
ImageGreat To Be A Stallion! Blessed To Live In Rock Hill!
5thqtr
All-American

Postby 3-3 Stack » Mon May 14, 2018 9:21 am

[quote=“SackThe_Back”][quote=“3-3 Stack”]Here is a little research on why transferring schools is not a good idea, for whatever reason. You did ask for my “information.”
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3967912/
https://www.edweek.org/ew/issues/studen ... index.html
https://www.theatlantic.com/education/a ... nt/505940/[/quote]
First article was a bit irrelevant-kids don’t usually transfer in the middle of the season.

Others were good. You can see because of these articles why the SC Elite (York Prep, Oceanside Coll., Gray Coll., Legacy Charter) get kids. They “take care” of their athletes to some degree. If you did that at a Public School, say Fort D., the outcry would be huge. But since the charters can do their own thing, they “twist” the SCHSL rules.

If a Kid is good enough to play in collage, he will be found if his coach is competent, they player attends camps, and puts up a ton of stats. If the school has a awful coach and administration, he should be allowed to go elsewhere.

But 80% of our High School players probably won’t play collage. And most schools don’t outright have bad coaches and admin.[/quote]
Here is a great website that helps. Less than 7% of high school football players will play at the next level, and that includes D1, D2 and D3.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/res ... -athletics

I have heard horror stories of the goings on at Gray. Kids assaulting other kids and not getting kicked out. These kids are also the trouble makers at their previous high school. Why would they be transferring if they were abiding by the rules of the past school????? Besides, Gray got beat by a third seed last year. Their “recruiting” didn’t help them much.
3-3 Stack
All-American

Postby SackThe_Back » Mon May 14, 2018 6:34 pm

You wonder what goes on the REALLY big programs like IMG. I have heard a lot of stuff about the Kids at Oceanside too-no assult, but the kids occasionally do "stuff". 'Course, there are good kids too, but it seems at these athletic schools have a lot of kids who think there "the next big thing" no matter the sport - and if they win championships, the school will look the other way.

At a nornal school, you have a good mix - kids who do robotics club, fishing club, normal students, kids who do heavy community service, etc. They have a wide skill set and do lots of things besides sports. They aren't all athletes.
Never be diffrent unless diffrent is much, much better.
SackThe_Back
Freshman

Postby 5thqtr » Tue May 15, 2018 9:09 pm

I have never stated it's ok to transfer because you thought you was "league material"! But, if a couple of you want to teach "your kids" to settle. To say, "don't try and better my chances and accept things as they are" that's your business. But, to me because of all the b.and s reasons some kids play and others don't. I will never see it like that. Kids know. Even the chosen kid may know often politics has them playing, not ability. When that's the case standing by not righting that wrong makes by standers just as guilty. The grass may not be greener on the other side. But, you "tried". That is a lesson to. Thank the Heavens some pioneers of change throughout u.s. history didn't just take it.
ImageGreat To Be A Stallion! Blessed To Live In Rock Hill!
5thqtr
All-American

Postby 3-3 Stack » Wed May 16, 2018 9:09 am

[quote=“5thqtr”]I have never stated it’s ok to transfer because you thought you was “league material”! But, if a couple of you want to teach “your kids” to settle. To say, “don’t try and better my chances and accept things as they are” that’s your business. But, to me because of all the b.and s reasons some kids play and others don’t. I will never see it like that. Kids know. Even the chosen kid may know often politics has them playing, not ability. When that’s the case standing by not righting that wrong makes by standers just as guilty. The grass may not be greener on the other side. But, you “tried”. That is a lesson to. Thank the Heavens some pioneers of change throughout u.s. history didn’t just take it.[/quote]
Your entire idea was transferring to another school that could highlight a player's talent was ok, wasn't it?
3-3 Stack
All-American

Previous

Return to Class 4A