Westwood Antics! Is It A Blythewood Thing?

This board covers the 48 teams that make up the top classification in South Carolina. Discuss the Big 16 and Division II teams and players.

Westwood Antics! Is It A Blythewood Thing?

Postby 5thqtr » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:25 pm

Chippy-ness gone awry! This year with Westwood. L.Y. with Ridge View. They both have really good athletes that suit up for them. But, dang you can count on them having a bunch of "trash talk and unsportsman like antics too"!
If they had "just played football" they had a good chance of beating The Stallions! But, no, they hung in tough in the 1st qtr after SP went up 13-0(missed PAT). The QB Green had a nice game! #8 seemed like their best player; although #1 is the kid signed to South Carolina. Both good - both very much could stand to go out and just focus on football during the game too! Be pumped! Be edgy! But, be smart for crying out loud.
I can't tell you how in the world #1 is supposedly better than #8. 8 was the punter, WR and "Bail Out WR Target"! And the kid just kept making play after play against really good defense. He was just better. The defense was there; can't really fault the Stallions on that. Kid just made plays!
This is one I hope Coach Herron turns into the SCHSL regarding the officials. They let way too much go. In fact, had they gained control of the game earlier, it may not have "almost" gotten out of hand.
Lots of jawing! Lots of Personal fouls that really ended up motivating the Stallions! So, thank you for that bit of what you did.
End of the game as SP is running out the clock. #1 is on the Stallions sideline dancing. Jawing with Stallions players. Hand gestures trying to be a complete (I don't know what) as he could possibly be. I guess he was proud of the fact, "they played us close"!
Just really not classy at all. Especially considering the fact you were down two TD's.
I see Westwood winning a bunch more games than they lose. But, composure had better grab hold of that team or they will keep imploding. Yeah, imploding. Did I mention they had a 21-20 lead starting the 4th qtr?
Ridgeview L.Y. same thing - was playing well and then got to jawing! Taken completely out of their game! When they got down early and was in comeback mode; they was just playing football and was hanging tough!
Some never learn I guess!
"WHEN YOU'RE EVERYBODY'S SUPER BOWL"! I guess folks get way way way more animated! :lol:
ImageGreat To Be A Stallion! Blessed To Live In Rock Hill!
5thqtr
All-American

Re: Westwood Antics! Is It A Blythewood Thing?

Postby 5thqtr » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:28 am

…….….. listening to a fan of another team who was off tonight leaving the stadium when he said, "they were trying to do what South Pointe do to people"!

He went on to say, "out South Pointe; South Pointe"! :lol:

Laughable! Some of BC South Pointe teams maybe had that rap! Coach Herron doesn't like that non-sense. And, has little tolerance for it.

I'm all for bully the bully! Except make sure you have a bully on your hand and not a "sleeping giant"!
5thqtr
All-American

Postby YellowJacket99 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:04 am

Does Blythewood trash talk too, or is it just the other two schools?
YellowJacket99
Freshman

Postby region2 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:11 am

Saw Westwood play the last couple of years. Always the same deal. Their performance never matches their talent. Undisciplined. Seems like the coaches just let it go in an attempt to build the kids confidence in some misguided attempt to create some type of swag. Westwood could be a good team if they would find somebody to instill some discipline. Plenty of talent there.
region2
All-American

Postby 5thqtr » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:05 am

@region2 - you must be Nostradamus! You kind of predicted what was going to happen exactly how it went down!

Man, them and RV could be real good teams w/o all the antics! If they just shut up and played ball! Coach Herron does not play that - but the kids on the roster have to fight everything in them "not to go there" b/c coach doesn't! When some team gets to bumping the gums too much - they tend to just play with more intensity! They "do talk back too" if you get the right Stallions player. But mostly, they about playing harder and trying to let the scoreboard talk for them!
5thqtr
All-American

Postby Penguin » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:37 pm

[quote=“YellowJacket99”]Does Blythewood trash talk too, or is it just the other two schools?[/quote]

According to the Beaufort players, YES. Far too much for a team that talented.
CAROLINA
7 Time National Champions
GO HEELS! DOOK SUXX!
Penguin
All-American

Postby Wildstallion2 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:52 pm

I do not know where they got the Refs for the South Pointe vs Westwood game, but it seems to me that they were scrapping the bottom of the barrel with that bunch of Zebras.
Wildstallion2
Varsity

Postby 5thqtr » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:25 pm

[quote=“Wildstallion2”]I do not know where they got the Refs for the South Pointe vs Westwood game, but it seems to me that they were scrapping the bottom of the barrel with that bunch of Zebras.[/quote]

WS2 - Agreed! In particular the line judges were awful. The missed offensive P.I. was maybe the worst most blatantly missed call I have ever seen! And they ended up scoring later after having gained a 1st down on that pass. No holding calls on them and they were routinely holding Rontarious Aldridge.
I have heard fans from other teams who are the "favorite" complain about the same thing! Some of these refs come in seemingly trying to "level the playing field"! Help the David out versus the goliath if you will. But, dang that's wrong! Those kids worked their butts off too! Why should they have to face adversity they shouldn't have to worry about just to satisfy some sense of "fairness"! Last night, WW was bigger than SP. They looked very much the part of an undefeated team physically! I hate that underdog ref bias!
Underdog Ref Bias. . . . . . now trending on twitter! B/C I swear that's what I saw last night. Check my post since my time on PFT. - . not a complainer about calls normally but that crew was apparently straight from Blythewood. Probably live off of Killian Road. They conversed with the Redhawks coaches during timeouts. Before the half ended. During a long injury timeout. Never with the SP coaches. Just blatant.
5thqtr
All-American

Postby region2 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:53 pm

Both Westwood and Ridge View seem much more interested in recreating a high school version of 'the U" from the 80's than focusing on winning football games. Usually implodes on them both in the long run. Suppose they think faking some type of swag will intimidate someone. Only people it intimidates are the cupcakes they would beat anyway. Doesn't faze the good teams.
region2
All-American

Postby 5thqtr » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:38 pm

"FAKE SWAG" is the worst! Be confident b/c you have prepared for the game. Don't bump gums off left and right and not backing it up on the scoreboard! I guess WW came in unbeaten and wanted to "show they wasn't scared or intimidated"! Best way to do that is --- not talk about it ----- but show it!

Region2 your right - 80's Miami Hurricanes thuggish stuff is weak!

p.s. I was really disappointed in Coach Parks team last year! The pre-game speech to must have been all week getting those kids to almost wanting to start a fight ( not football ) from the very beginning of the game. I thought he was of a different sort; but was wrong! Kind of surprised me honestly!
5thqtr
All-American

Return to Class 4A