My 2018 Stallions Have Work To Do.

This board covers the 48 teams that make up the top classification in South Carolina. Discuss the Big 16 and Division II teams and players.

My 2018 Stallions Have Work To Do.

Postby 5thqtr » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:56 pm

We got work to do! On a scale of:
Bad
Below Average
Just Okay
Okay
Solid
Better than most.
Good
Really Good
Great

***i.m.o we are only at the “GOOD” category! I know, I know! Teams line up and “you are their Super Bowl”! I get it. Syracuse last year beat my Clemson Tigers and then “proceeded to go zero and five”! But, for that game they were beast! I get it.
But, I still can’t help but notice the lack of “an emotional leader” for us! Nobody who cares enough to get everybody going! I’m telling some senior; begging with them in this post even: ” the time to start being the guy is now”! Sometimes the coaches can’t reach your teammates like you can! Somebody has to step up and start having cats “make plays” off sheer preparation and determination!
Hard to admit - I think we will struggle to even reach the semi-finals this year! No message board mumbo - really!
We are just a good team. With a few excellent players. But, those players aren’t ra-ra-get everybody emotionally invested dudes! And that’s okay! But, somebody has to be! I swear to you on everything that’s what this version of the South Pointe Stallions is missing!
Might be too late to start now who knows! But, the Greers, Greenvilles, Hartsvilles, Myrtle Beach’s, York, etc. aren’t going to feel sorry for the old South Pointe Stallions. In fact, they may very well play their best game against you! But, how about some passion thrown right back at them! Some will to win thrown back at them. Or are we the residing champ who don’t train hard anymore b/c we wake up in “silk sheets”! Eat good! Live good! And have basically lost the will to fight........b/c you somehow feel entitled! That trophy isn’t an entitlement and unless something drastic happens with SP Stallions players(coach can’t really do it. . this will have to be a player started push) I can’t imagine us as we currently are challenging anyone for a 5th straight! Wish it wasn’t true. But, it is!

***Lancaster was faking the inside give all night and throwing it over the middle. No eye discipline every time. Like stealing really! Looking in the back field. Caugt peeping! The mark of a good team is: “find a way to win”! We have been! But, the competition is going to get stiffer as we move into the playoffs! Really need to win the region and it’s going to be tough. York has Lancaster and Us at home! Tough deal right there. I think York has been playing possum; taking advantage of the dumb non-region games don’t mean anything rule. What will the legacy be for the 2018 Version of the South Pointe Stallions football team?
ImageGreat To Be A Stallion! Blessed To Live In Rock Hill!
5thqtr
All-American

Re: My 2018 Stallions Have Work To Do.

Postby Mania » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:06 pm

South Pointe is in the hunt. That is the main thing. There may be added pressure to win a 5th vs. just winning one ring for this year or just not being the team to end the streak. The players know all too well the stakes are higher in the playoffs and this team appears to be sleepwalking through the season. It seems especially so coming off last season's major success. They may be mentally saving their best for the playoffs if anything out of habit. These close games are concerning. The field appears to be strong, but there are not any Dutch Fork's or 2017 South Pointe's in that field. SP has the ability to beat anyone, but their biggest enemy might be themselves right now. I'm rooting for South Pointe. Keep in mind South Pointe's chances of winning a title seem to be about as good as we thought they were in the middle of the 2014 season.
Mania
JV

Postby 5thqtr » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:29 pm

[quote=“Mania”]South Pointe is in the hunt. That is the main thing. There may be added pressure to win a 5th vs. just winning one ring for this year or just not being the team to end the streak. The players know all too well the stakes are higher in the playoffs and this team appears to be sleepwalking through the season. It seems especially so coming off last season’s major success. They may be mentally saving their best for the playoffs if anything out of habit. These close games are concerning. The field appears to be strong, but there are not any Dutch Fork’s or 2017 South Pointe’s in that field. SP has the ability to beat anyone, but their biggest enemy might be themselves right now. I’m rooting for South Pointe. Keep in mind South Pointe’s chances of winning a title seem to be about as good as we thought they were in the middle of the 2014 season.[/quote]

Mania - I smell what you are cooking! And, agree! Someone might say - aren't you not giving credit to the opponents? To which I would say; "i'm giving the opponents all the credit they deserve, I know when SP is playing SP football and when they aren't though"! This group only does it in spurts! 55, 6, 2, 72, 17, 21, 23, 44, 96 and a few others are some that stick out to me tha PLAY HARD all the time. Whitlock and Ervin are having to do way too much on offense for the talent SP has @ WR. In the game WR's the football may not be perfect coming to you; you may have to adjust and make a play. Your QB is sitting there getting rushed; help him out a bit.
New DC I think may need some help from Coach Herron! The Lancaster QB was way too comfortable at times back there. We were moving the football so; if they score; we could get it back! Unless we have not proven we can run blitz or blitz period well in practice. Too laid back and too unwilling to change or yell at some folks! Sometimes challenging these kids isn't the worst thing you can do. Some of them need to be challenged or need to play p'd off! Others you have to finesse but I saw very little this past Friday of the "sense of urgency needed" when a kid is consistently getting out of position.
Could be hoping for too much Mania! Out of the last 5 teams this one has the least # of "junkyard dawg types"! Meaning scrappy, take no for an answer types! We have a bunch of good kids who are a lot more laid back! Which there is nothing wrong with that as long as you can switch gears on the field. This group don't have enough guys who "seek out being a playmaker"! Who want to be "the guy"! 1 or 2 guys won't get it done. Stallions WR group especially need to step up and play to their potential! And push others to do so!
5thqtr
All-American

Postby 5thqtr » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:38 pm

About the 2014 Stallions - we had passionate kids who wanted to be the "big cheese"! Had Greg Ruff who was an undersized dynamic player at QB but he had that grit that said, "you can't stop me" like several others had! They didn't always play together b/c of a difference in opinion/friendships over who should be starting at QB, but they came together enough to get it done.
I'm not writing off this group; b/c I stand by what I said. Having looked at some film of who I think are the top challenges in 4A; I know we can match up well. What I have question about and would be disappointed about is; "whether or not they bring it"! If you bring it and still lose; you can't do anything but come back and try again and give the opponent credit. If you have the ability to; but don't bring it. . . you end up with a life time of regret and what if's. And as a fan, that's the only way I would be disappointed! If they don't play to their potential! Heart!
5thqtr
All-American

Postby Wildstallion2 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:46 pm

South Pointe this year has had to overcome a lot of change from last season, from losing all the D1 talent, to losing our Defensive Coach to Goose Creek, then nearly losing our Offensive coach to Union County, he had the job at Union but turned it down, I was told that the reason he turned it down is because Coach Herron thought he was going to get the AD job at SP, so he told the the offensive Coach to stay, and he could take his place as Head Coach, but Coach Herron did not get the AD job and was very angry about it, and the Offensive Coach lost out on a Head Coaching job at Union and a lot more money, so now you have people who are doing jobs that they are not to happy about. All these changes have affected the team this year.
Wildstallion2
Varsity

Postby 5thqtr » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:35 pm

WS2 - wow! I am going to dub this years team "the miracle team" if they somehow came up with a way to win it all!
Coaches leaving!
FBS talent migrated to the next level.
Anyone close to the program was affected by the loss of one of our own a couple weeks ago!
Just a lot to endure and try to push through!

*** I know at one point Coach Herron was thinking about calling the defense himself! I kind of wish he would take over the reigns again! The new DC is not playing SP aggressive football and isn't inspiring these kids to be hard. Too soft man! That's not our style and not who these kids are.
***With all the changes at critical positions it was going to be tough; but enter a "laid back senior class minus Whitlock who plays with fierce determination" and you get lackluster effort at times. Past years seniors would. Not the coach. Seniors would be holding guys accountable for blown assignments on something they had gone over all dang week! Not so much now!
*** I think after winning 4 in a row all of them wanted to move on to something else and get out on a High Note! Coach Winstedt went to a good school in GC. Coach Mac would have UC a contender in year 1 I think. Coach Herron would have brought in someone who would have the same passion for his baby he co-built! Someone who wanted to win and put the time in to ensure they make it happen. If their hearts and minds aren't it fully - IDK! W/O being able to verify what you said WS2, " I can just say, I can see how it would happen exactly how you said"! If that's the case. Again, IDK, but if it is "it would explain a bunch"! You look at Bentley up at Byrnes! He had a perennial contender often finalist if not champion. But, you get bored I guess. It stops being a challenge and you get complacent. This is why I give Tom Knotts so much credit. He can't get enough! He is hungry this year like he was in year one before he ever got one. We need to find that hunger that makes some "musicians keep dropping hits and others being one hit wonders"! It all comes back to "the love of the game"!
5thqtr
All-American

Postby OnionRings » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:31 am

the pressure to win 5 in a row comes from within the SP players and coaches. It cannot come from the outside

they are still a very good football team that 9 out of 10 high schools would be glad to have

SP fans, and I use the term loosely because they don't have many, are a little spoiled over winning 4 straight titles basically unchallenged. 4 straight is pretty strong and most schools will never even be close to that

I guess it's frustrating to see them challenged on the field (they have lost what 1 game?)

Times change, players leave and so do coaches and it gets even harder to replicate unparalleled success

They very well could win it again but this time the games will be contested. As long as they have the ball last, it could happen

On defense I agree with your assessment. They don't blitz or stunt at all, and that is a change over the last DC. They also don't change fronts much and make in game adjustments

Maybe they don't think they can cover well enough to blitz I don't know

also, there has been a huge drop off in their kicking game
OnionRings
Freshman

Postby 1 CAT FAN » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:14 pm

It’s difficult to replace a quality kicker such as BT Potter. Clemson saw his talent and recruited him. BT Potter has been a tremendous asset to kickoffs, his kicks sail to the back of the endzone. He’ll be in the NFL after his Clemson career, the kid is that good. Nice pick up by Dabo & the coaching staff. Derion Kendrick has been a nice addition too.
ImageACC Champions
1 CAT FAN
All-American

Postby polysci » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:43 am

5th, I havent posted in a while but please man. What do want? Do you want these guys to blow everybody out like they have in the past? I know thats what SP is used to doing and not having this many close games but they are winning those games. 5th you can't pitch the poor mouth when it comes to SP football. So for the first time in 4 years you may not be the best team in the state? I'm not talking 4A I'm talking state. SP is still the best team in 4A. They are just young. With 100 players on the sideline and probably the top 30 of those could go start for any other team, I don't see the problem. I promise you a lot of the teams you have mentioned would secretly swap their players for SP's any day. Come on man. You lost to RH who this year may have the most talent in York county and they were due. Man when the playoff start watch what happens. I have to now give the head coach his due but those guys from RH really just need proper preparation during the week and somebody to drive the bus. They play every Friday with a chip on their shoulder and have since they start playing football when the school opened. I guess when you are use to a certain level of beating folks into submission or delivering knockouts every Friday, majority decision don't satisfy the fans. I'll tell you what I would gladly swap some guys from my team for some of yours. Man enjoy this 5th ring which will turn SP back into Mike Tyson again in 2019, regardless of who the coach is.
polysci
Freshman

Postby Jsing » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:37 pm

Through 8 games, South Pointe has scored 2 points more than they did in their first 8 games last year. Coach Herron has a chance to win his 100th game this week, in his 112th game as HC. Keith Richardson of Clinton is the fastest public school coach in the state to reach 100, doing it in 118 games.
Jsing
Freshman

Next

Return to Class 4A