Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cowboys33, Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 9 guests

Boiling Springs Blowout - Changes?

This board covers the 48 teams that make up the top classification in South Carolina. Discuss the Big 16 and Division II teams and players.

Boiling Springs Blowout - Changes?

Postby BSBulldog » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:52 pm

If I am not mistaken Dorman easily beat Dutch Fork earlier this season. Why was this such a blowout? What has happened to the BS defense which was playing very well earlier in the season. I look for some changes to occur before next season......
BSBulldog
Freshman

Re: Boiling Springs Blowout - Changes?

Postby #1 Granny » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:04 pm

#31 who was playing JV when Dorman played DF, was a big part of the end result in both games.

JMO.
#1 Granny
JV

Postby rebel_regiment » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:26 pm

From the perspective of this Byrnes fan, the blowout loss to Dutch Fork doesn't change anything about Boiling Springs. Boiling Springs really just wasn't as good as you thought they were before the game. And to be fair to Dutch Fork, it looks like they are quite a good team.

Not to rag on the 'Springs, but they finished the season 7-6. They don't have any marquee wins. Calpreps rates them #28 in the state, #17 in 4A. This is the resume of a team that is respectable, nothing more. They didn't beat a single team with a higher Calpreps rating than theirs. Their wins against comparable teams were quite close: 36-32 over Nation Ford, 44-36 over Blythewood, and 38-34 over Rock Hill. They lost by 3 to a comparable Spartanburg team. Most of their games against clearly superior competition weren't that close; Byrnes, Dutch Fork and York won handily. Gaffney won by 13. They fought Dorman hard and fell by 3.

For several years now, Boiling Springs has been a little-better-than-average 4A team, but no more. That's a long way up from the basement, but if you were expecting much more, I think your expectations were misplaced.

Matt H.
rebel_regiment
JV

Postby Bottom Feeder » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:45 am

rebel_regiment wrote:From the perspective of this Byrnes fan, the blowout loss to Dutch Fork doesn't change anything about Boiling Springs. Boiling Springs really just wasn't as good as you thought they were before the game. And to be fair to Dutch Fork, it looks like they are quite a good team.

Not to rag on the 'Springs, but they finished the season 7-6. They don't have any marquee wins. Calpreps rates them #28 in the state, #17 in 4A. This is the resume of a team that is respectable, nothing more. They didn't beat a single team with a higher Calpreps rating than theirs. Their wins against comparable teams were quite close: 36-32 over Nation Ford, 44-36 over Blythewood, and 38-34 over Rock Hill. They lost by 3 to a comparable Spartanburg team. Most of their games against clearly superior competition weren't that close; Byrnes, Dutch Fork and York won handily. Gaffney won by 13. They fought Dorman hard and fell by 3.

For several years now, Boiling Springs has been a little-better-than-average 4A team, but no more. That's a long way up from the basement, but if you were expecting much more, I think your expectations were misplaced.

Matt H.

Dude, Clark has been at the Springs for five years and has a 62.9% average winning percentage. I went back and checked Bentley first five years and his winning percentage was 35.0%. So if the Clark's winning percentage is a little-better-than-average, what would you call Bentley's first five years. Wonder if you guys hadn't got Bentley fired. I guess if he hadn't been home grown, he would have been fired. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Bottom Feeder
JV

Postby Boo » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:24 pm

I believe that Rebel Regiment is speaking about "QUALITY" wins. Boiling Springs lost to the 5 decent opponents that they played and only won in games where they were a big favorite. Then... Spartanburg beat them.... How in the world Summerville lost to Spartanburg two weeks ago... I will never know??? I feel like Byrnes played less than crisp Friday night and it was all Byrnes until the 9th graders came in...

It is widely known that after Clark's arrival at BS, the schedule was VERY weak. One win here and one win there against quality opponents just doesn't get it. You could count quality wins since Clark arrived on one hand. However, when you compare the BS of today to the BS of recent years, it is still a huge improvement. getting in the playoffs and out of the first round is a major improvement.
Boo
Varsity

Postby Buffalo_Soldier » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:26 pm

bs will never win with clark as hc
Buffalo_Soldier
Freshman

Postby momma_bulldog » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:11 pm

Boo wrote:I believe that Rebel Regiment is speaking about "QUALITY" wins. Boiling Springs lost to the 5 decent opponents that they played and only won in games where they were a big favorite. Then... Spartanburg beat them.... How in the world Summerville lost to Spartanburg two weeks ago... I will never know??? I feel like Byrnes played less than crisp Friday night and it was all Byrnes until the 9th graders came in...

It is widely known that after Clark's arrival at BS, the schedule was VERY weak. One win here and one win there against quality opponents just doesn't get it. You could count quality wins since Clark arrived on one hand. However, when you compare the BS of today to the BS of recent years, it is still a huge improvement. getting in the playoffs and out of the first round is a major improvement.

I disagree with the scheduling comment...I would say that our schedule was VERY WEAK before Clark got here...We scheduled weak 2A and 3A teams early on and got wins but were unprepared when it came to region.

As far as success goes, we are a long way from the top, but also a long way from where we were a few years back. I can remember when we were just happy to make the playoffs and now I saw players and coaches a like disappointed to the brink of tears after a second round loss. I personally expect things to continue to get better.

As for any changes, I don't know...Coming into this season I thought our defense would be the solid part (with several key players returning) but they were a disappointment overall.
momma_bulldog
Freshman

Postby rebel_regiment » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:21 pm

That's right, I am writing about quality wins. I don't think overall record taken alone provides a particularly useful measure of a team's excellence, particularly in 4A.

In the abstract, an average 4A team would be expected to win about half their games versus 4A competition. If that decent 4A team schedules one or two pre-region games against smaller schools, they are highly likely to win those as well. Under those circumstances, a 7-4 or 8-3 record during the regular season isn't that hard to come by. Please note, however, that this paragraph is NOT intended as an analysis or criticism of Boiling Springs's schedule.

In this case, Boiling Springs finished the season 7-6. I don't think calling a team that finished one game over .500 "average" is going out on a limb.

Before Clark became the head coach, Boiling Springs was swimming pretty close to the bottom of the lake, so they've made a lot of progress.

I'm not sure what Bentley's record at Byrnes during his first five years has to do with any of this. But since the BS fan mentioned Byrnes's former coach and current OC, I would like to clarify that none of what I have written is intended to criticize Clark, or suggest he hasn't done a good job. All I really meant was the I thought the DF game was a pretty fair reflection of where Boiling Springs was this year, and consistent with their results throughout the season.

Matt H.

Boo wrote:I believe that Rebel Regiment is speaking about "QUALITY" wins. Boiling Springs lost to the 5 decent opponents that they played and only won in games where they were a big favorite. Then... Spartanburg beat them.... How in the world Summerville lost to Spartanburg two weeks ago... I will never know??? I feel like Byrnes played less than crisp Friday night and it was all Byrnes until the 9th graders came in...

rebel_regiment
JV

Postby Bottom Feeder » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:19 pm

Dude, all I'm trying to do is compare Bentley's first five years with Clark's first five years. Whose to know what will happen in the future. If I remember correctly, Bentley record the first five years was based on LITTLE 4A in most cases. I make no excuses for either. Byrnes played two of the smallest 3A teams in the state this year, so you thing on schedules doesn't hold any water.
Bottom Feeder
JV

Postby bucs90 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:19 pm

I hope we aren't comparing schedules from now to pre-2000 Boiling Springs. That was in the "Old Region 2". No comparison. "Old Region 2" was maybe the hardest region in the entire south: Spartanburg, Dorman, Gaffney, Byrnes, Northwestern, Rock HIll, Union, Chester, Boiling Springs.

There weren't any Greenville schools in that region. South Point didn't exist. All the teams scheduled 2A and 3A teams in the non-region games. They had to, just to stay healthy/sane for that region slate. Union would often finish in the bottom 3-4..then go on to win the "Little 32" AAAA state championship.

This mess today with all the Greenville schools sprinkled in...thats not even same ballpark.
bucs90
Freshman

Next

Return to Class 4A