Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], MSN NewsBlogs, Wolverine Legend and 22 guests

heres the scoop from the post and courier

This board covers the 48 teams that make up the top classification in South Carolina. Discuss the Big 16 and Division II teams and players.

heres the scoop from the post and courier

Postby GATORFAN#001 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:55 am

Paul Zoeller/Special to the Post and CourierGoose Creek coach Chuck Reedy (above) and the Gators wil llearn their fate today.
It was 11 a.m. Sunday and Goose Creek coach Chuck Reedy sounded as if he had already had a long day.

He was breaking down film of this week’s Division II-AAAA playoff opponent Northwestern while preparing for today’s appeal in front of the High School League’s executive committee. The Gators must win their appeal to remain in the playoffs.




“Since last Monday, it’s been a roller- coaster ride of highs and lows,” Reedy said. “It’s been an emotional week and emotions burn a lot of energy. It’s taken its toll on everybody.”

Last week, High School League commissioner Jerome Singleton ruled the Gators used an ineligible player and banned the Gators from the playoffs. The following day, the executive committee upheld his decision in a closed session that violated the Freedom of Information Act.

The Gators took their case to court on Friday, and Circuit Judge Roger Young granted a temporary restraining order that allowed the school to play Friday night’s game against Bluffton, a 35-25 Gators victory. Young also ruled the executive committee must convene in open session today to reconsider the eligibility requirements based on its rules. Any decision must be explained in writing.

The Goose Creek football player declared ineligible by the High School League is a foster child who has special needs. He was homeless at times and had been in and out of facilities. He attended six schools before finally ending up at Goose Creek.

School officials reported the violation when a transcript showed he had been credited with high school classes four years ago at Woodmont High School, located near Greenville.

The day after the executive committee upheld Singleton’s decision, Goose Creek officials discovered the student wasn’t at Woodmont High his freshman year in 2008. He was actually incarcerated at a facility called Generations Home in Simpsonville, and was not allowed to leave the premises. Goose Creek officials say he never stepped foot on the Woodmont campus. The classes credited to Woodmont were actually taken at the Generations Home.

“I think Monday’s hearing will boil down to whether the year this young man spent in a group home for children with behavioral issues should be counted toward his eligibility limitation,” said Harrell, whose firm is handling the case for free. “Under the league’s constitution, a student is eligible to participate for four years from the time he first enrolled in the ninth grade in a member school. However, ‘enrollment’ is defined as ‘actual matriculation (complete registration) and physical attendance in classes for one day’. Based on what we’ve learned, this young man never physically attended a league member high school during the year in question because he was in a home-bound program.

“I expect that we’ll get a fair hearing,” Harrell said. “Most of the committee members are educators who obviously have a passion for kids. In fairness to the league commissioner and the full committee, their decisions last week were based on the information they had in front of them. We now know there was more to the story than what they knew at that time.”

The school could go back to court again if its appeal is rejected.

“Obviously, we would have to evaluate that with our attorneys,” Reedy said. “But there comes a point when you say you’ve done everything you could and exhausted every option. We’re seeking justice.”

Follow Philip M. Bowman on Twitter: @pandcphil



thank you post and courier Finally got it right.
Image
38 game win streak and 60-7 since 2009 not to shabby.
User avatar
GATORFAN#001
All-American
 
Posts: 2481
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:05 pm

Re: heres the scoop from the post and courier

Postby DeCavelier » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:46 am

GATORFAN#001 wrote:“Under the league’s constitution, a student is eligible to participate for four years from the time he first enrolled in the ninth grade in a member school. However, ‘enrollment’ is defined as ‘actual matriculation (complete registration) and physical attendance in classes for one day’. Based on what we’ve learned, this young man never physically attended a league member high school during the year in question because he was in a home-bound program.


This should make the hearing interesting indeed. A razor thin argument but if the interpretation is correct then by the slimmest of margins it sounds like the player is eligible. Of course the HSL might see it differently. Whatever happens I endorse this ending Monday whether in favor of Goose Creek or not. If the HSL rules to DQ Goose Creek then I think it's time to pi$$ on the fire and go home.
User avatar
DeCavelier
All-American
 
Posts: 4756
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: heres the scoop from the post and courier

Postby 2Notch » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:55 am

If he was in the custody of DJJ, he is eligible. If he was in a foster home that home schooled, then he is in-eligible according to the law. Home school does not freeze eligibility. The courts have ruled that jail or prison time freezes eligibility. A year in the hospital does not freeze eligibility, but a year in prison, jail, or a court sentenced boot camp does.
User avatar
2Notch
Freshman
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: heres the scoop from the post and courier

Postby DaleLewis » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:41 am

smartest post I have seen about this situation.

Judgement day, ladies. see you in the news......
User avatar
DaleLewis
All-American
 
Posts: 1213
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: heres the scoop from the post and courier

Postby DaleLewis » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:37 am

Just wanted to make sure that everyone was on the same page here........

GATORFAN#001 wrote:Paul Zoeller/Special to the Post and CourierGoose Creek coach Chuck Reedy (above) and the Gators wil llearn their fate today.
It was 11 a.m. Sunday and Goose Creek coach Chuck Reedy sounded as if he had already had a long day.

He was breaking down film of this week’s Division II-AAAA playoff opponent Northwestern while preparing for today’s appeal in front of the High School League’s executive committee. The Gators must win their appeal to remain in the playoffs.




“Since last Monday, it’s been a roller- coaster ride of highs and lows,” Reedy said. “It’s been an emotional week and emotions burn a lot of energy. It’s taken its toll on everybody.”

Last week, High School League commissioner Jerome Singleton ruled the Gators used an ineligible player and banned the Gators from the playoffs. The following day, the executive committee upheld his decision in a closed session that violated the Freedom of Information Act.
But, it was Goose Creek that ASKED for the closed session (which they are allowed to do) and now they want to cry "foul"....not hardly.

The Gators took their case to court on Friday, and Circuit Judge Roger Young granted a temporary restraining order that allowed the school to play Friday night’s game against Bluffton, a 35-25 Gators victory. Young also ruled the executive committee must convene in open session today to reconsider the eligibility requirements based on its rules. Any decision must be explained in writing.
with a local judge that has an election on the horizon in a county with an undefeated HS football team...what would you have ruled?
The Goose Creek football player declared ineligible by the High School League is a foster child who has special needs. He was homeless at times and had been in and out of facilities. He attended six schools before finally ending up at Goose Creek.
don't forget, he was the top re bounder for Berkley County last year
School officials reported the violation when a transcript showed he had been credited with high school classes four years ago at Woodmont High School, located near Greenville.
Case Closed, ineligible.
The day after the executive committee upheld Singleton’s decision, Goose Creek officials discovered the student wasn’t at Woodmont High his freshman year in 2008. He was actually incarcerated at a facility called Generations Home in Simpsonville, and was not allowed to leave the premises. Goose Creek officials say he never stepped foot on the Woodmont campus. The classes credited to Woodmont were actually taken at the Generations Home.
Again, case closed, ineligible.
“I think Monday’s hearing will boil down to whether the year this young man spent in a group home for children with behavioral issues should be counted toward his eligibility limitation,” said Harrell, whose firm is handling the case for free. “Under the league’s constitution, a student is eligible to participate for four years from the time he first enrolled in the ninth grade in a member school. However, ‘enrollment’ is defined as ‘actual matriculation (complete registration) and physical attendance in classes for one day’. Based on what we’ve learned, this young man never physically attended a league member high school during the year in question because he was in a home-bound program.
again, case closed, home-bound programs count toward eligibility.
“I expect that we’ll get a fair hearing,” Harrell said. “Most of the committee members are educators who obviously have a passion for kids. In fairness to the league commissioner and the full committee, their decisions last week were based on the information they had in front of them. We now know there was more to the story than what they knew at that time.”
you mean, the information that YOU provided? First you said he was ineligible and then you said that he was eligible....I can not help but wonder, if you had not been booted out of the playoffs, would you still be fighting for this kid? After all, you are the one that filed the paperwork to (at a minimum) get him kicked off the team????
The school could go back to court again if its appeal is rejected.
Waste of time and money....really don't think they will.

“Obviously, we would have to evaluate that with our attorneys,” Reedy said. “But there comes a point when you say you’ve done everything you could and exhausted every option. We’re seeking justice.”
That time will be today, between 1:00 and 2:30 PM or so....
Follow Philip M. Bowman on Twitter: @pandcphil



thank you post and courier Finally got it right.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dale Lewis, always correct!
User avatar
DaleLewis
All-American
 
Posts: 1213
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: heres the scoop from the post and courier

Postby FootballFan4343 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:52 am

2Notch wrote:If he was in the custody of DJJ, he is eligible. If he was in a foster home that home schooled, then he is in-eligible according to the law. Home school does not freeze eligibility. The courts have ruled that jail or prison time freezes eligibility. A year in the hospital does not freeze eligibility, but a year in prison, jail, or a court sentenced boot camp does.


2notch his this correct. If this "home" the student was in is considered a foster home and NOT DJJ, then it is an open and shut case. However, I am not sure on the fact that prison time "freezes" eligibility, otherwise, you would have coaches going after kids that have been in prison 2-3 years and enrolling them in their schools. I also go back to the fact that GC self-reported last week. The league may come back and say that they feel that GC made a fair argument, however should have requested a hardship PRIOR to the season based on the eligibility questions. I know that makes it "unfair" because basically they would be saying he is eligible BUT the paperwork wasn't filed. But, this would not be the first time this has happened. If the league does decide this way, fans shouldn't be mad at the league, instead Goose Creek High School. For all of this to be found out within a day, it shows a major breakdown in how Goose Creek checks eligibility of their students. Like another poster has said, it is not difficult to find things out in this day and age. I can see the league going either way on this, but I think GC is a tougher corner than most people think because the league has multiple ways they can rule.

A. player is eligible and GC Plays
B. player is ineligible based on the fact that his year at the home counted.
C. player is ineligible because GC didnt file a hardship waiver.
D. player is ineligible because GC reported him ineligible.
E. player is ineligible because GC reported information is not entirely correct.

Keep in mind that this is a brand new argument from GC and that will play into the executive committees ruling. BAsically GC has tried every argument in the book, and YES these are educators and they care about kids. But the question I ask, is has every kid been cared about here? Or has it been a focus on a game. I feel that GC has really thrown this kid under the bus with Reedy saying public statements like: "He didn't help our team at all. We did him a favor, he played no role in the outcome of our games. It took major coaching to even get him on the field. He is a special needs player. He has been passed around through the foster care system. He has been in a group home for sexually abused children. ETC" These are all things that Reedy/Huskey/attorneys/GC has said at some point throughout the process. I would imagine this kid is an emotional wreck because all of his private information is out there. And for anyone to say that people don't know who the kid actually is, would be a joke. Everyone invovled with the program knows exactly who he is. As more of this comes out, I will say that my opinion of the program and coach Reedy has changed. If he would have left it after Wednesday, I would have truly felt sorry for him and his emotional questionining and telling the committee how he was just being a good man and taking care of this kid. Since that date, it has not been about the kids, instead about winning. Take off the GC shades and consider if it was another school. At some point, it goes beyond winning. In coach's defense, Joye Law Firm probably played a major role and explained to him that this all had to "come out" for a chance to win, BUT Coach Reedy/Principal Husky should have taken a stand and said NO, if thats what it takes to have a shot at winning, count us out. Instead winning took precedent here.
FootballFan4343
JV
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:11 pm
Location: Sullivan's Island

Re: heres the scoop from the post and courier

Postby wavefan70s » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:57 am

DaleLewis wrote:Just wanted to make sure that everyone was on the same page here........

GATORFAN#001 wrote:Paul Zoeller/Special to the Post and CourierGoose Creek coach Chuck Reedy (above) and the Gators wil llearn their fate today.
It was 11 a.m. Sunday and Goose Creek coach Chuck Reedy sounded as if he had already had a long day.

He was breaking down film of this week’s Division II-AAAA playoff opponent Northwestern while preparing for today’s appeal in front of the High School League’s executive committee. The Gators must win their appeal to remain in the playoffs.




“Since last Monday, it’s been a roller- coaster ride of highs and lows,” Reedy said. “It’s been an emotional week and emotions burn a lot of energy. It’s taken its toll on everybody.”

Last week, High School League commissioner Jerome Singleton ruled the Gators used an ineligible player and banned the Gators from the playoffs. The following day, the executive committee upheld his decision in a closed session that violated the Freedom of Information Act.
But, it was Goose Creek that ASKED for the closed session (which they are allowed to do) and now they want to cry "foul"....not hardly.

The Gators took their case to court on Friday, and Circuit Judge Roger Young granted a temporary restraining order that allowed the school to play Friday night’s game against Bluffton, a 35-25 Gators victory. Young also ruled the executive committee must convene in open session today to reconsider the eligibility requirements based on its rules. Any decision must be explained in writing.
with a local judge that has an election on the horizon in a county with an undefeated HS football team...what would you have ruled?
The Goose Creek football player declared ineligible by the High School League is a foster child who has special needs. He was homeless at times and had been in and out of facilities. He attended six schools before finally ending up at Goose Creek.
don't forget, he was the top re bounder for Berkley County last year
School officials reported the violation when a transcript showed he had been credited with high school classes four years ago at Woodmont High School, located near Greenville.
Case Closed, ineligible.
The day after the executive committee upheld Singleton’s decision, Goose Creek officials discovered the student wasn’t at Woodmont High his freshman year in 2008. He was actually incarcerated at a facility called Generations Home in Simpsonville, and was not allowed to leave the premises. Goose Creek officials say he never stepped foot on the Woodmont campus. The classes credited to Woodmont were actually taken at the Generations Home.
Again, case closed, ineligible.
“I think Monday’s hearing will boil down to whether the year this young man spent in a group home for children with behavioral issues should be counted toward his eligibility limitation,” said Harrell, whose firm is handling the case for free. “Under the league’s constitution, a student is eligible to participate for four years from the time he first enrolled in the ninth grade in a member school. However, ‘enrollment’ is defined as ‘actual matriculation (complete registration) and physical attendance in classes for one day’. Based on what we’ve learned, this young man never physically attended a league member high school during the year in question because he was in a home-bound program.
again, case closed, home-bound programs count toward eligibility.
“I expect that we’ll get a fair hearing,” Harrell said. “Most of the committee members are educators who obviously have a passion for kids. In fairness to the league commissioner and the full committee, their decisions last week were based on the information they had in front of them. We now know there was more to the story than what they knew at that time.”
you mean, the information that YOU provided? First you said he was ineligible and then you said that he was eligible....I can not help but wonder, if you had not been booted out of the playoffs, would you still be fighting for this kid? After all, you are the one that filed the paperwork to (at a minimum) get him kicked off the team????
The school could go back to court again if its appeal is rejected.
Waste of time and money....really don't think they will.

“Obviously, we would have to evaluate that with our attorneys,” Reedy said. “But there comes a point when you say you’ve done everything you could and exhausted every option. We’re seeking justice.”
That time will be today, between 1:00 and 2:30 PM or so....
Follow Philip M. Bowman on Twitter: @pandcphil



thank you post and courier Finally got it right.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dale Lewis, always correct!

Ok wise guy give me the lotto midday numbers then
GO DUKE
Image
User avatar
wavefan70s
All-American
 
Posts: 5432
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:30 pm

Re: heres the scoop from the post and courier

Postby DaleLewis » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:02 am

Great post here FootballFan....

there will be no "hardship" and would not have been if they had asked the first time.

The ruling will stand as ineligible.

Tell you what Wavefan are you wiling to come on here and admit when the time comes that I was correct....you know, sort of like with the BSHS ruling the morning before it happened 2 years ago?
User avatar
DaleLewis
All-American
 
Posts: 1213
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: heres the scoop from the post and courier

Postby wavefan70s » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:07 am

FootballFan4343 wrote:
2Notch wrote:If he was in the custody of DJJ, he is eligible. If he was in a foster home that home schooled, then he is in-eligible according to the law. Home school does not freeze eligibility. The courts have ruled that jail or prison time freezes eligibility. A year in the hospital does not freeze eligibility, but a year in prison, jail, or a court sentenced boot camp does.


2notch his this correct. If this "home" the student was in is considered a foster home and NOT DJJ, then it is an open and shut case. However, I am not sure on the fact that prison time "freezes" eligibility, otherwise, you would have coaches going after kids that have been in prison 2-3 years and enrolling them in their schools. I also go back to the fact that GC self-reported last week. The league may come back and say that they feel that GC made a fair argument, however should have requested a hardship PRIOR to the season based on the eligibility questions. I know that makes it "unfair" because basically they would be saying he is eligible BUT the paperwork wasn't filed. But, this would not be the first time this has happened. If the league does decide this way, fans shouldn't be mad at the league, instead Goose Creek High School. For all of this to be found out within a day, it shows a major breakdown in how Goose Creek checks eligibility of their students. Like another poster has said, it is not difficult to find things out in this day and age. I can see the league going either way on this, but I think GC is a tougher corner than most people think because the league has multiple ways they can rule.

A. player is eligible and GC Plays
B. player is ineligible based on the fact that his year at the home counted.
C. player is ineligible because GC didnt file a hardship waiver.
D. player is ineligible because GC reported him ineligible.
E. player is ineligible because GC reported information is not entirely correct.

Keep in mind that this is a brand new argument from GC and that will play into the executive committees ruling. BAsically GC has tried every argument in the book, and YES these are educators and they care about kids. But the question I ask, is has every kid been cared about here? Or has it been a focus on a game. I feel that GC has really thrown this kid under the bus with Reedy saying public statements like: "He didn't help our team at all. We did him a favor, he played no role in the outcome of our games. It took major coaching to even get him on the field. He is a special needs player. He has been passed around through the foster care system. He has been in a group home for sexually abused children. ETC" These are all things that Reedy/Huskey/attorneys/GC has said at some point throughout the process. I would imagine this kid is an emotional wreck because all of his private information is out there. And for anyone to say that people don't know who the kid actually is, would be a joke. Everyone invovled with the program knows exactly who he is. As more of this comes out, I will say that my opinion of the program and coach Reedy has changed. If he would have left it after Wednesday, I would have truly felt sorry for him and his emotional questionining and telling the committee how he was just being a good man and taking care of this kid. Since that date, it has not been about the kids, instead about winning. Take off the GC shades and consider if it was another school. At some point, it goes beyond winning. In coach's defense, Joye Law Firm probably played a major role and explained to him that this all had to "come out" for a chance to win, BUT Coach Reedy/Principal Husky should have taken a stand and said NO, if thats what it takes to have a shot at winning, count us out. Instead winning took precedent here.

I can tell you that DJj time used to not count towards elegibility .thats how it was looked at by the schl.many many moons ago.times may have changed on that.as for the kid he has a heavy burden to bear because of this.depending how he handles it.if he continues to do the right thing people in the community will look at him as a young man who got it together.if he screws up then he will be viewed badly .
GO DUKE
Image
User avatar
wavefan70s
All-American
 
Posts: 5432
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:30 pm

Re: heres the scoop from the post and courier

Postby wavefan70s » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:08 am

DaleLewis wrote:Great post here FootballFan....

there will be no "hardship" and would not have been if they had asked the first time.

The ruling will stand as ineligible.

Tell you what Wavefan are you wiling to come on here and admit when the time comes that I was correct....you know, sort of like with the BSHS ruling the morning before it happened 2 years ago?

Yeah I got no problem with admitting you were correct on the schl ruling .i may not agree with thier ruling but that is a separate issue.
GO DUKE
Image
User avatar
wavefan70s
All-American
 
Posts: 5432
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:30 pm

Next

Return to Class 4A

cron