ATT Bojack: More Gaffney Title Discussion

This board covers the 48 teams that make up the top classification in South Carolina. Discuss the Big 16 and Division II teams and players.

ATT Bojack: More Gaffney Title Discussion

Postby AggieDad » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:48 pm

We can never have too much discussions on the number of titles Gaffney has, right? I was looking back into archives trying to find where actual title games were played in the largest classification at the time. I have found reports in title games for 1920 through 1931 ... and am still looking.

I found this interesting article in the News and Courier from Nov 29, 1931. Gaffney and Orangeburg are listed by the SCHSL as being co-Champs that year. However, Orangeburg beat Rock Hill in the title game in Columbia. It is stated that Gaffney was not a member of the league that year. You will see Gaffney offered to play OB, but in an article a day or two later, Orangeburg declined to play. I wonder how SCHSL came to the decision to show Gaffney as a state champ that year when they were not in the league and did not play in any playoffs that year.

Bojack .. do you have any historical info on this?
Attachments
Gaffney.JPG
Gaffney.JPG (60.63 KiB) Viewed 1375 times
Rules to Live By:
1. Don't Sweat the Small Stuff
2. Convince Yourself Everything is Small Stuff!Image
User avatar
AggieDad
JV
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:22 pm

Re: ATT Bojack: More Gaffney Title Discussion

Postby 1st&Goal » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:12 pm

And the plot thickens......
If YOU cant walk it.....You prolly shouldnt TALK it!!!
User avatar
1st&Goal
All-American
 
Posts: 4326
Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 8:16 am

Re: ATT Bojack: More Gaffney Title Discussion

Postby Chief Bojack » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:26 pm

Gaffney 1931 Season 9 – 0

Gaffney 19 Rutherford, NC 0
Gaffney 6 Monroe, NC 0
Gaffney 45 Simpsonville 6
Gaffney 19 Forest city, NC 0
Gaffney 26 Hickory, NC 7
Gaffney 19 Bailey Military Institute 6
Gaffney 13 Anderson 0
Gaffney 7 Spartanburg 0
Gaffney 27 Greenville 0


Total 181 19

Gaffney completes another undefeated season and another show of both offense and defense superiority, outscoring opponenst 181 to 19 during the season. Gaffney was the only undefeated team in the state and beat the number two team, the Spartanburg "Crimson Tide". They were therefore awarded the State Championship trophy.
After the season, the team "accepted" a challenge from Tech High school of Atlanta, Ga to play for the Southeastern Championship. Both teams were undefeated and had been awarded their respective State's titles. The game turned out to be a battle of two defensive Titans and the game ended with a 0 to 0 tie. Gaffney made a heroic goal line stand in the last 2 minutes of the game. Gaffney had gotten the ball inside the 20 a couple of times but could never "punch" it in. Neither team then, could claim the Southeastern Title.



The more interesting season would be 1937. Gaffney was undefeated, beat Easley during the season but Easely is listed by the SCHSL as the champ. Gaffney isn't even listed as the runnerup.



Gaffney 33 Concord, NC 0
GAffney 13 Winston Salem, NC 0
Gaffney 26 Orangeburg 0
Gaffney 14 Tech HIgh Atlanta, Ga 0
Gaffney 0 Knoxville, Tn 0
Gaffney 7 Chattanooga Central 0
Gaffney 40 CHester 0
Gaffney 13 Easely 7
Gaffney 7 Spartanburg 0
Gaffney 32 West end of Birimingham 0


Gaffney outscored their opponents 185 to seven. That had to play out of state a lot because no one wanted to schedule Gaffney.
It is Friday night in the fall, and I am at the Reservation. Where else would you want to be?
Image
User avatar
Chief Bojack
All-American
 
Posts: 3824
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:19 pm

Re: ATT Bojack: More Gaffney Title Discussion

Postby 1CANNON » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:34 pm

1st&Goal wrote:And the plot thickens......




IT SURE DOES NOW DONT IT?? :roll:
Last edited by 1CANNON on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH!
User avatar
1CANNON
All-American
 
Posts: 4828
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:07 am
Location: IN THE REAL WORLD

Re: ATT Bojack: More Gaffney Title Discussion

Postby Bottom Feeder » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:35 pm

Chief Bojack wrote:Gaffney 1931 Season 9 – 0

Gaffney 19 Rutherford, NC 0
Gaffney 6 Monroe, NC 0
Gaffney 45 Simpsonville 6
Gaffney 19 Forest city, NC 0
Gaffney 26 Hickory, NC 7
Gaffney 19 Bailey Military Institute 6
Gaffney 13 Anderson 0
Gaffney 7 Spartanburg 0
Gaffney 27 Greenville 0


Total 181 19

Gaffney completes another undefeated season and another show of both offense and defense superiority, outscoring opponenst 181 to 19 during the season. Gaffney was the only undefeated team in the state and beat the number two team, the Spartanburg "Crimson Tide". They were therefore awarded the State Championship trophy.
After the season, the team "accepted" a challenge from Tech High school of Atlanta, Ga to play for the Southeastern Championship. Both teams were undefeated and had been awarded their respective State's titles. The game turned out to be a battle of two defensive Titans and the game ended with a 0 to 0 tie. Gaffney made a heroic goal line stand in the last 2 minutes of the game. Gaffney had gotten the ball inside the 20 a couple of times but could never "punch" it in. Neither team then, could claim the Southeastern Title.



The more interesting season would be 1937. Gaffney was undefeated, beat Easley during the season but Easely is listed by the SCHSL as the champ. Gaffney isn't even listed as the runnerup.



Gaffney 33 Concord, NC 0
GAffney 13 Winston Salem, NC 0
Gaffney 26 Orangeburg 0
Gaffney 14 Tech HIgh Atlanta, Ga 0
Gaffney 0 Knoxville, Tn 0
Gaffney 7 Chattanooga Central 0
Gaffney 40 CHester 0
Gaffney 13 Easely 7
Gaffney 7 Spartanburg 0
Gaffney 32 West end of Birimingham 0


Gaffney outscored their opponents 185 to seven. That had to play out of state a lot because no one wanted to schedule Gaffney.


Dude, I find it interesting that the Empire tells us that they are the team that started the out of state thing and here in 1937 Gaffney played six games in this season. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bottom Feeder
JV
 
Posts: 444
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 4:52 pm

Re: ATT Bojack: More Gaffney Title Discussion

Postby BYRNES#1 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:47 pm

I think its pretty clear that what Ive said all along is true. They had grown men playing "High School" football & apparently they were a travel team like the AAU teams of today, its been known also that they recruited players across this state the store owners would pay these players to play or give parents jobs. :shock:

Thats why they were not members of the HSL & why they were not originally awarded the state title back then, the HSL GAVE them 5 titles back in the 50's for those years.

Aggie Dad you & I need to talk. ;)
I dont give em hell, I just tell them the truth & they think its hell.

Image
BYRNES#1 Fan Page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Byrnes1/2 ... ef=tn_tnmn
User avatar
BYRNES#1
Heisman
 
Posts: 11118
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:21 pm

Re: ATT Bojack: More Gaffney Title Discussion

Postby AggieDad » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:13 pm

Chief Bojack wrote:The more interesting season would be 1937. Gaffney was undefeated, beat Easley during the season but Easely is listed by the SCHSL as the champ. Gaffney isn't even listed as the runnerup.

Gaffney 33 Concord, NC 0
GAffney 13 Winston Salem, NC 0
Gaffney 26 Orangeburg 0
Gaffney 14 Tech HIgh Atlanta, Ga 0
Gaffney 0 Knoxville, Tn 0
Gaffney 7 Chattanooga Central 0
Gaffney 40 CHester 0
Gaffney 13 Easely 7
Gaffney 7 Spartanburg 0
Gaffney 32 West end of Birimingham 0

Gaffney outscored their opponents 185 to seven. That had to play out of state a lot because no one wanted to schedule Gaffney.


I don't know that it had anything to do with it, but I found an article in News & Courier for Dec 5, 1937 where it reports Gaffney lost to Fork Union Military Academy in the "Little Tobacco Bowl". It was played in Richmond, VA and the score was 7 - 0. I tried to attach the image of the article & it says too large ... don't have time to resize right now. Do your records have make any mention of this "Little Tobacco Bowl" game?
Rules to Live By:
1. Don't Sweat the Small Stuff
2. Convince Yourself Everything is Small Stuff!Image
User avatar
AggieDad
JV
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:22 pm

Re: ATT Bojack: More Gaffney Title Discussion

Postby king of the 16 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:16 pm

BYRNES#1 wrote:I think its pretty clear that what Ive said all along is true. They had grown men playing "High School" football & apparently they were a travel team like the AAU teams of today, its been known also that they recruited players across this state the store owners would pay these players to play or give parents jobs. :shock:

Thats why they were not members of the HSL & why they were not originally awarded the state title back then, the HSL GAVE them 5 titles back in the 50's for those years.

Aggie Dad you & I need to talk. ;)

This coming from the only team in the state that openly recruits players today. Pot meet kettle. :roll:
king of the 16
JV
 
Posts: 386
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: ATT Bojack: More Gaffney Title Discussion

Postby BYRNES#1 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:17 pm

king of the 16 wrote:
BYRNES#1 wrote:I think its pretty clear that what Ive said all along is true. They had grown men playing "High School" football & apparently they were a travel team like the AAU teams of today, its been known also that they recruited players across this state the store owners would pay these players to play or give parents jobs. :shock:

Thats why they were not members of the HSL & why they were not originally awarded the state title back then, the HSL GAVE them 5 titles back in the 50's for those years.

Aggie Dad you & I need to talk. ;)

This coming from the only team in the state that openly recruits players today. Pot meet kettle. :roll:



Got Proof? since its so open Im sure you do LOL!!!
I dont give em hell, I just tell them the truth & they think its hell.

Image
BYRNES#1 Fan Page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Byrnes1/2 ... ef=tn_tnmn
User avatar
BYRNES#1
Heisman
 
Posts: 11118
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:21 pm

Re: ATT Bojack: More Gaffney Title Discussion

Postby speda53 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:50 pm

B#1 do you won't Gaffney to stop playing for a fuw years so Byrnes can catch up. Would that make you happy or you just a RETAREDED
User avatar
speda53
Freshman
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:05 pm

Next

Return to Class 4A

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

cron