Who is online

Users browsing this forum: indian70, wildcatnation843 and 32 guests

OT Rebel74/Baseball fans

This board covers the 48 teams that make up the top classification in South Carolina. Discuss the Big 16 and Division II teams and players.

OT Rebel74/Baseball fans

Postby mikey » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:12 pm

Did u see where Stan Musial and Earl Weaver died today ? While Stan was a little before my time, I remember Earl well. He was Bobby Cox vrs Umpire, before Bobby Cox. Musial was arguabley the best hitter ever.
mikey
All-American

Re: OT Rebel74/Baseball fans

Postby LikeIseeIt » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:54 am

Yeah I agree on Earl Weaver. A great manager. Believed in great pitching and the 3 run homer.
Heard a stat on Stan that in 20+ years he never struck out more that 50 times in a season. He also had the exact number of hits at home, 1830, as he did on the road, 1830.
I guess someone built a baseball field in a cornfield somewhere. "If you build it they will come."
LikeIseeIt
Varsity

Postby Rebel-Fan-74 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:32 pm

mikey wrote:Did u see where Stan Musial and Earl Weaver died today ? While Stan was a little before my time, I remember Earl well. He was Bobby Cox vrs Umpire, before Bobby Cox. Musial was arguabley the best hitter ever.

I believe it was Earl's record that Bobby broke in his final season when he became the most ejected manager....

Yeah, I posted on FACEBOOK that we lost two HALL OF FAMERS within hours of each other and in a year when no one was elected by the regular ballot......
Rebel-Fan-74
All-American

Postby mikey » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:46 pm

Rebel-Fan-74 wrote:
mikey wrote:Did u see where Stan Musial and Earl Weaver died today ? While Stan was a little before my time, I remember Earl well. He was Bobby Cox vrs Umpire, before Bobby Cox. Musial was arguabley the best hitter ever.

I believe it was Earl's record that Bobby broke in his final season when he became the most ejected manager....

Yeah, I posted on FACEBOOK that we lost two HALL OF FAMERS within hours of each other and in a year when no one was elected by the regular ballot......

You would have thought they would have elected Dale Murphy as a statement. He done it right.....All they done was make a statement against the Roid users. Letting one in that done it right would have would have sent a strong message imo....
mikey
All-American

Postby New Rebel 2007 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:23 pm

Just read an article about Stan's life, he was married for 72 years and his wife passed less then a year ago at the age of 91.
New Rebel 2007
Varsity

Postby Rebel-Fan-74 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:47 am

mikey wrote:
Rebel-Fan-74 wrote:

You would have thought they would have elected Dale Murphy as a statement. He done it right.....All they done was make a statement against the Roid users. Letting one in that done it right would have would have sent a strong message imo....

I agree 100% (see Rebels and Indians can agree on something). Dale will be elected by the Veterans Committee and at that point, I would almost be willing to buy a ticket to Cooperstown.... almost. Folks that just look at the stats on Murphy miss the most important thing about his talents... there was no one else on the team that would have made an impact on the game on a regular basis. There was NEVER a reason for the pitcher to give Murph a ball any where near the strike zone. No one above him or more importantly, no one behind him was a threat! Two Time MVP with the Braves of his era (history lesson: the first of the 14 in a row was a WORST TO FIRST team!)

There used to be a joke about the Braves of that era....

I called and asked what time the game started tonite. They asked me what time can I be there. I asked if they had any good seats left and they said, oh yeah, by the way do you pitch?
Rebel-Fan-74
All-American

Postby Jhawk » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:41 am

another joke from that era whats red, white, and blue and lives in the cellar? the Braves!
Jhawk
Varsity

Postby mikey » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:39 am

Go Braves and take the Falcons with ya..........
mikey
All-American

Postby Rebel-Fan-74 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:47 pm

George Wallace, a black commedian, back in those days was bragging about the fans in a town he was working in, said, "I'm from Atlanta so I don't know what it's like to have a professional team in your town!"

If you've never heard of him, he was great... here is a sample...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjzCkIiTLws

I remember one time he said something like, "Hell all I have to do is introduce myself and I get a laugh!" (Some of these kids will not get that one at all....)
Rebel-Fan-74
All-American

Postby mikey » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:25 pm

Rebel-Fan-74 wrote:George Wallace, a black commedian, back in those days was bragging about the fans in a town he was working in, said, "I'm from Atlanta so I don't know what it's like to have a professional team in your town!"

If you've never heard of him, he was great... here is a sample...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjzCkIiTLws

I remember one time he said something like, "Hell all I have to do is introduce myself and I get a laugh!" (Some of these kids will not get that one at all....)

No the kiddo's won't, but i do...great laugh.............. :lol: :lol:
mikey
All-American

Return to Class 4A