What High school has the most players

This board covers the 48 teams that make up the top classification in South Carolina. Discuss the Big 16 and Division II teams and players.

Re: What High school has the most players

Postby BYRNES#1 » Mon May 06, 2013 8:18 pm

SPARTANVILLE VI wrote:
BYRNES#1 wrote:
SPARTANVILLE VI wrote:
DHSCavsFan wrote:
BYRNES#1 wrote:
SPARTANVILLE VI wrote:
BYRNES#1 wrote:
SPARTANVILLE VI wrote:
BYRNES#1 wrote:
ST Rebels 72 wrote:
robnice wrote:NFL pays a lot better than high school. State title are all good but they don't pay the bills.I guess if you want a state title move to Duncan,but if the NFL you goal come to Rock Hill. :o :mrgreen:

great response :lol:

I agree, but make no mistake I was not trying to put down any of the Rockhill Schools I was just thinking it was really weird with all that talent why more state titles are not there. Im guessing its coaching, maybe Im wrong.

Also make no mistake this spartanburg area has sent a ton of NFL talent to the NFL also & there will be more coming from Byrnes. ;)

Thanks for calling it the Spartanburg area- when Spartanburg High sends more to the NFL than all the other programs combined...

Name every player from Spartanburg that played in the NFL, have proof they played too.
I have a had time believing Spartanburg has had more NFL players than Landrum, Chapman, Chesnee, Broome, Woodruff, Dorman, & Byrnes combined.
I cant think of but a few off the top of my head so please enlighten me, I love learning new things. ;)

Spartanburg's NFL Players *1st Round Draft Picks
*Steve Fuller- Chiefs, Bears
*Anthony Simmons- Seahawks
Steve Davis- Redskins, Panthers
Edward Merlin- Brooklyn Dodgers 1938-1939
Sidney Tinsley- Steelers, 1945
Howie Williams (Carver High) Raiders, Packers, 49ers 1962-1969
Ralph Coleman (Carver High) Cowboys 1972
Elijah Pete Tinsley- Packers 1938-1945
Connie Mack Berry- Green Bay, Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago 1939-1948
Landon Cohen- Patriots, Jaguars,Lions 2008-2011
Joel Bell- Bills 2009

Other Programs in Spartanburg County
Ryan Sims (Dorman)- 2
Ealthon Perry Smith (Lincoln- District 6) Packers, Rams, Broncos 1973-1981
Mike Reid (Broome)
Gabe Wilkins (Broome)
Marcus Lattimore (Byrnes)
Brooks Foster (Boiling Springs)
Steve Durham(Byrnes)
John Boyette(Byrnes)
Everett Dawkins (Byrnes)

Ok so Spartanburg has 9 NFL players, Byrnes has 5 NFL players. Coming from such a small area population wise & such a awful history as you haters like to imply, I think that stacks up pretty well against the "Mighty Vikings".

BTW your statement
Thanks for calling it the Spartanburg area- when Spartanburg High sends more to the NFL than all the other programs combined
was proven wrong by your own numbers.
I never had any doubt about that though, I just had to call you out on that. BTW Im sure there are more NFL players from those others school that maybe some of their fans will tell us about. ;)

Since Byrnes was not a high until 1955, and you cannot count those that went to Carver (they did not go to Spartanburg), Spartanburg and Byrnes are even at 5 a piece. I cannot believe I am defending Byrnes, but you can make numbers read several different ways.

Carver merged with SHS in Fall 1970- a full 15 years after Byrnes opened, and both of Carver's NFL players played at Carver after Byrnes 1955 formation. District 5 had a black high school (Florence Chapel) just as District 7 had Carver. Further, the whole argument about 1955 on is ironic to me. District 6 had Fairforest, Roebuck and Lincoln, yet in football Fairforest and Roebuck played as District 6. Before District 5 schools merged to the Byrnes Rebels the white high schools played as District 5, it did not mean District 5 never had a football program before Byrnes, they did.

Also, You can't accurately discuss Byrnes without including Florence Chapel in the discussion. Why? Well,simply put there would be no James F. Byrnes High without it. Byrnes High School was funded and constructed by a program enacted in 1951 at the direction of then-Gov. James F. Byrnes, known as the Equalization Schools program which SC used to increase new school construction to make segregated schools have better and theoretically equal facilities for both white and black students, and Byrnes was one of those schools built.

B1 can't accurately discuss the history of football in District 5 without discussing District 5 Football before 1955. District 5 might not have been called Byrnes and might not have been called the Rebels,but District 5 certainly played football. All during those years however the Spartanburg Crimson Tide played football- the first team to play out of state schools,1st school in Spartanburg County to play college teams, we even won our first State Championship in 1932- we count all those years, even when six titles in 90+ years of football doesn't impress everybody. We count the years where Spartanburg wasn't even named Spartanburg High- when we were Frank Evans Senior High from 1922-1931. We count the years where Spartanburg was a team that last left the field in 1969, the Spartanburg Crimson Tide.

Carver operated as a high school a full 30 years, and before that Cummings Street School from 1925-1939. They are as much District Seven graduates as any Spartanburg High graduate before or since integration. You can say Spartanburg didn't produce Carver's athletes- technically they did not, but District Seven did. My assertions are accurate because I also included a Lincoln grad as having come from District 6. District Seven has produced more NFL players than all the other districts combined and 2/3 of the First Round Draft picks from Spartanburg County as well.

DHSCavsFan was right, you can make numbers say different things, if you want to add these teams in with this team because they played in that district then do so, but what district is Broome in? Are they not District 7 just like Spartanburg? If so does that mean you get to count their players that went onto the NFL as being Spartanburg players? :shock:

Also in 1955 when Byrnes High opened its doors they fielded a football team that consist of 13 players, not a very good chance of a player going to the NFL out of such a small group, sure it could happen but just not likely.

Add all your schools together & add Byrnes & District 5 together & nothing changes at all, for our size we are on par with Spartanburg over our history when it comes to sending players to the NFL. Twist it, turn it, flip it & flop it all you want to it all comes to the same point.

That point is you were wrong, Spartanburg does not have more players in the NFL than all over Spartanburg county schools combined.

End of this discussion....

NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEXT!!!!

Next my ass.

I never made the numbers say anything- this is so pathetic.Of course, you once tried to include your band's State Championships to make it look like Byrnes had half the athletic titles of Spartanburg High. :lol:

First off, you must not know much about District Seven or District Three. Broome is not in District Seven. Broome is in District Three and was a merger of Pacolet and Cowpens High Schools. I gave Broome all the credit they deserve and did not include a single Broome High player in Spartanburg's list- not one!

District Seven has never had more than two high schools during the days of segregation and only Spartanburg High School since 1970. Just because the two players from Carver did not attend Spartanburg High does not mean they should not be included towards our total seeing that the two schools were in every single aspect a merged program. When you go to SHS you go to the land of the Vikings- we don't divide ourselves into old Spartan High and Carver- those teams haven't played a down of football in over 40 years.

We were the only school in Spartanburg County to change our mascot, our yearbook, the name of the band, we still elect superlatives just like in 1970 because its tradition- a new tradition in 1970. The other programs in Spartanburg County did not change their mascots as we did in District Seven. The Class of 1971 call themselves the "Original Vikings" and I should know, I'm the son of an "Original Viking" as were three of my classmates. Neither we or our parents decided to become Vikings to forget about the past, we became Vikings to forge ahead- and what a program our parents built, what a legacy they established for us. The most State Titles from 1970 to current of any school save Irmo High. In the end Carver alumni and alumni of Spartanburg High from 1921- 1970 no longer have their programs, they have the Vikings program- we don't draw the line and say who does and does not count, we are all alumni of District Seven. Half the coaches in 1970 were Carver coaches and Carver alumni but they made Vikings just like the coaches of the Crimson Tide did.

Carver's players deserve to count toward's my District's total, to not include the alumni of Carver High is a disservice to those athletes that brought glory to District Seven... both Howie Williams and Ralph Coleman won a State Title while at Carver- in 1958 and 1969. They did their part, they deserve their recognition.

First of all why in the blue hell are you directing your comments towards me?

I haven't said you couldnt count players from Carver, I couldnt care less if you count em JACK!
So direct your comment to those that say you shouldnt count Carver.
BTW I see thier point but it doesnt bother me that you want to add them to your list of Viking players EVEN THOUGH THEY NEVER PLAYED A DOWN as a Viking. :roll:

Oh & remember what I said....?
but what district is Broome in? Are they not District 7 just like Spartanburg?
So apparently by my question I am admitting I dont know much about either of those district, I didnt lose anything in either of those district so they are no importance to me. :roll:

Anyway back to Carver, looking at from these other guys point of view I see what they are saying. Pretty desprate move to pull those guys in to make your numbers look better, its also pretty sad that you think anyone reading all your hottie tottie mumbo jumbo cant see through what you are doing.
Sparty one day you will make a great politician, & thats not a compliment. ;) :lol:
Last edited by BYRNES#1 on Tue May 07, 2013 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
I dont give em hell, I just tell them the truth & they think its hell.
BYRNES#1
Heisman

Postby DHSCavsFan » Tue May 07, 2013 9:10 am

SPARTANVILLE VI wrote:
BYRNES#1 wrote:
ST Rebels 72 wrote:
robnice wrote:NFL pays a lot better than high school. State title are all good but they don't pay the bills.I guess if you want a state title move to Duncan,but if the NFL you goal come to Rock Hill. :o :mrgreen:

I agree, but make no mistake I was not trying to put down any of the Rockhill Schools I was just thinking it was really weird with all that talent why more state titles are not there. Im guessing its coaching, maybe Im wrong.

Also make no mistake this spartanburg area has sent a ton of NFL talent to the NFL also & there will be more coming from Byrnes. ;)

Thanks for calling it the Spartanburg area- when Spartanburg High sends more to the NFL than all the other programs combined...

Sparty remember making this statement? You stated that Spartanburg High send more, not Carver/Spartanburg High. I think it is belittling Carver's High accomplishment to claim their history for Spartanburg High's benefit.
DHSCavsFan
Varsity

Postby BYRNES#1 » Tue May 07, 2013 9:33 am

DHSCavsFan wrote:
SPARTANVILLE VI wrote:
BYRNES#1 wrote:
ST Rebels 72 wrote:

Sparty remember making this statement? You stated that Spartanburg High send more, not Carver/Spartanburg High. I think it is belittling Carver's High accomplishment to claim their history for Spartanburg High's benefit.

Very good point, Im betting they wouldn't appreciate it at all.
BYRNES#1
Heisman

Postby SPARTANVILLE VI » Wed May 08, 2013 8:47 pm

We are a merged program. We took two schools, merged them into one program and changed literally everything athletic related into the Viking Program- the history of SHS and Carver literally are written to where you can't tell the story of the Vikings without telling the story of both teams. That was a deliberate move by District 7. Yes the school is still named Spartanburg High, but we did not integrate our schools the same way as the other schools- everybody else kept their previous mascot, we chose to start anew.

When the school officially tells its history in the Student Handbook, both Carver and Spartanburg High were "merged." A merger is two separate entities forming one singluar entity. The real issue here is that District Seven looks really good. The real issue is that we have produced well over half of this county's NFL players.

I guess Carver was envied too. :o
Spartanburg High School State Champions
1932, 1991, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2001, 2014

Vikings Football- Simply The Best Since 1970

"Momentum is only a play away"- Doc Davis
SPARTANVILLE VI
All-American

Postby BYRNES#1 » Wed May 08, 2013 9:14 pm

SPARTANVILLE VI wrote: The real issue is that we have produced well over half of this county's NFL players.

By your own numbers that YOU provided you are wrong. :roll:
BYRNES#1
Heisman

Postby 1CANNON » Thu May 09, 2013 8:28 am

[quote="BYRNES#1"]its also pretty sad that you think anyone reading all your hottie tottie mumbo jumbo cant see through what you are doing.[quote="BYRNES#1"]

I CANT BELIEVE YOU,,OF ALL HORSES MOUTHS,,POSTED THIS :lol: :lol: :lol:

WHAT A FREAKIN IDIOT :roll: JACK! ;)
YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH!
1CANNON
All-American

Postby BYRNES#1 » Thu May 09, 2013 9:40 am

1CANNON wrote:
BYRNES#1 wrote:its also pretty sad that you think anyone reading all your hottie tottie mumbo jumbo cant see through what you are doing.
BYRNES#1 wrote:

Its a two way street IDIOT :roll: JILL! ;)
BYRNES#1
Heisman

Postby SPARTANVILLE VI » Thu May 09, 2013 8:07 pm

BYRNES#1 wrote:
SPARTANVILLE VI wrote: The real issue is that we have produced well over half of this county's NFL players.

By your own numbers that YOU provided you are wrong. :roll:

This District has the best of the best, players, facilities, tradition. No wonder all your coaches left and went to Spartanburg...
Spartanburg High School State Champions
1932, 1991, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2001, 2014

Vikings Football- Simply The Best Since 1970

"Momentum is only a play away"- Doc Davis
SPARTANVILLE VI
All-American

Postby cavaliereagle » Thu May 09, 2013 8:27 pm

BYRNES#1 wrote:
1CANNON wrote:
BYRNES#1 wrote:its also pretty sad that you think anyone reading all your hottie tottie mumbo jumbo cant see through what you are doing.
BYRNES#1 wrote:

Its a two way street IDIOT :roll: JILL! ;)

:o And we all know what Jack did to Jill. :oops:
CENTRAL EAGLES MAKE PLAYS...NOT EXCUSES
cavaliereagle
Heisman

Postby BYRNES#1 » Thu May 09, 2013 10:02 pm

Anyone else notice Sparty only responds to what I say??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Puppet on a string. :lol: :lol:

BTW Sparty how many coaches left Byrnes to come help Spartanburg stop embarrassing the county? :shock:
BYRNES#1
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Class 4A