Former Dorman Head Coach Lou Fogle

This board covers the 48 teams that make up the top classification in South Carolina. Discuss the Big 16 and Division II teams and players.

Re: Former Dorman Head Coach Lou Fogle

Postby DiscoInferno » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:34 am

I had the pleasure of knowing Coach Fogle during this time . He was not only a great coach but a Great man !! He is now retired and living in Ashville. He was a tough son of a gun but the players loved him !!
DiscoInferno
Freshman

Postby DHSCavsFan83 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:07 am

What was alot of behind the door politics. Lou could not get along with anybody, great coach though. It was at the end of the school year and his contract did not get renewed. Al Clark had a inside track for the job due to who his dad was. Clark set Dorman back 10 years. Dale Evans was an Okay coach, but after his heart trouble his teams just did not seem the same.

BTW, at Lexington, the same thing happen, he could not get along with anybody and he was showed the door again. He finished his career at Asheville High.
DHSCavsFan83
Freshman

Postby DiscoInferno » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:13 am

You are right about being hard to get along with . I was in the locker room after a Dorman game in 1975. Coach Fogle wanted players and coaches only in the locker room. Al Clark ( The Principal) was in the room and was ask to leave !!
DiscoInferno
Freshman

Postby MXDAD » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:45 am

I played for the man and loved him. Tough love and mean as could be at times. He expected alot from his coaching staff so the ones he couldn't get along with were probably the ones that couldn't deliver. Most all remaining coaches tried to have Clark's entrance blocked. He was the outside linebacker coach. Good position coach but I can't really pass judgement on AD and head coaching job. You won't find any evidence of the behind the scenes politics. It was crazy. A group of coaches approached some key seniors/players to try to have the QB (name withheld) coach inserted into the head coach slot. Those seniors/players were to go before the school board with a proposal. Those guys paid the price for their involvement. Young and nieve was their only fault. TRUST ME, I KNOW THIS!! We defeated Spartan High in 82 in Clark's first season but it was Lou's boys at heart. Lou should be credited with that win as well. I liked the man for if for no other reason that he physically whipped a Rock Hill coach after a ball game one night. Men and coaches were made of a little different stuff then than they are now. This is where the libs will attack me now-----I'm waiting. :D :D I'm not trying to be disrespectful to today's way of doing things, I'm just saying it was different.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"-E. Burke

"Attitude reflects leadership"

"You can rob me, you can starve me. You can beat me, you can kill me. JUST DON'T BORE ME!"-T. Highway
MXDAD
All-American

Postby BearcatinOk/COWN » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:18 am

MXDAD wrote:I played for the man and loved him. Tough love and mean as could be at times. He expected alot from his coaching staff so the ones he couldn't get along with were probably the ones that couldn't deliver. Most all remaining coaches tried to have Clark's entrance blocked. He was the outside linebacker coach. Good position coach but I can't really pass judgement on AD and head coaching job. You won't find any evidence of the behind the scenes politics. It was crazy. A group of coaches approached some key seniors/players to try to have the QB (name withheld) coach inserted into the head coach slot. Those seniors/players were to go before the school board with a proposal. Those guys paid the price for their involvement. Young and nieve was their only fault. TRUST ME, I KNOW THIS!! We defeated Spartan High in 82 in Clark's first season but it was Lou's boys at heart. Lou should be credited with that win as well. I liked the man for if for no other reason that he physically whipped a Rock Hill coach after a ball game one night. Men and coaches were made of a little different stuff then than they are now. This is where the libs will attack me now-----I'm waiting. :D :D I'm not trying to be disrespectful to today's way of doing things, I'm just saying it was different.

THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN A NW COACH.....COACH WALLACE IN FACT THAT GOT INTO IT WITH FOGLE AFTER THE GAME......ONLY THING WAS....FOGLE PULLED HIS SWEATSHIRT OVER HIS HEAD...THEN PROCEEDED TO WHOOP MOOSE......KINDA DIRTY.....BUT I GUESS ALL'S FAIR IN LOVE AND WAR RIGHT????????.....LMAO
BearcatinOk/COWN
All-American

Postby 3rd and LONG » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:38 am

I played for Clark but I've heard numerous stories about Lou Fogle. One story said that after a game, the coaches were having a get together at his house. All the coaches were there except the host, Lou Fogle, when someone asked where he was. One coach spoke up and said, "in jail." It seems that Fogle had gotten in a brawl after the game and was arrested. I think it may have been with Moose Wallace of Northwestern. I've also been told that District Six had a lawyer in Columbia on retainer to argue cases for them at the SCHSL. Fogle was always getting into some kind of mess.
Dorman Cavaliers: 2009 4A Div. 1 State Football Champions
Wofford Terriers: 2010 SoCon Basketball Champions
3rd and LONG
JV

Postby DeCavelier » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:43 am

BearcatinOk/COWN wrote:THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN A NW COACH.....COACH WALLACE IN FACT THAT GOT INTO IT WITH FOGLE AFTER THE GAME......ONLY THING WAS....FOGLE PULLED HIS SWEATSHIRT OVER HIS HEAD...THEN PROCEEDED TO WHOOP MOOSE......KINDA DIRTY.....BUT I GUESS ALL'S FAIR IN LOVE AND WAR RIGHT????????.....LMAO

Haha, yeah I mean once your past the point of two head football coaches punching each other, who's gonna cry fowl?

I'll ask my oldest brother about this subject. He was playing Dorman football in the early 80's and he and some other friends of his quit the team over a coaching controversy that sounds suspiciously familiar.
“Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine.”- Elvis Presley
DeCavelier
All-American

Postby DeCavelier » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:44 am

I'm just glad Gutshall can win games without getting into fistfights.
“Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine.”- Elvis Presley
DeCavelier
All-American

Postby 3rd and LONG » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:48 am

When Fogle was released, Bill Carr, was supposedly wanting the job at Dorman, only problem was that he was the coach or former coach at Spartanburg High School and he did not want to have to apply for the job. I think he didn't want his name mentioned until it was a done deal. However, the board wanted him to apply and ultimately hired Al Clark who had been an assisstant at Spartanburg. When the players found out, they went on strike against Clark. I think that is how it all happened, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Dorman Cavaliers: 2009 4A Div. 1 State Football Champions
Wofford Terriers: 2010 SoCon Basketball Champions
3rd and LONG
JV

Postby AndyNYTRMG » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:25 am

When Coach Fogle left Dorman, he came to Pisgah High School in Canton, N.C. Where I happened to be a sophomore as well as one of the video guys for the football team.

Coach Fogle had me at the majority of practices as well as scrimmages and game, and in some funky situations. I filmed a scrimmage about 40-50 feet up in the air at Asheville School on this tiny platform that swayed every time I moved. He had me film from the top of the fieldhouse, buses, all kinds of stuff. If we screwed up a tape, he yelled just like we were players. But at the end of the year, he called me into his office and told me I had attended enough practices to letter. So, I received a football letter jacket.

My favorite Fogle story: Last home game of the year, the school declared it Lou Fogle Night, and they passed the hat and took up money to present to him. Raised a few thousand, I believe. Early in the game, Fogle got ejected. Walked out the gate to a standing ovation, sat on steps just outside the stadium and watched the rest of the game.

Last game he ever coached at Pisgah. He left for another job during the offseason.
AndyNYTRMG
Site Admin

Next

Return to Class 4A