Former Dorman Head Coach Lou Fogle

This board covers the 48 teams that make up the top classification in South Carolina. Discuss the Big 16 and Division II teams and players.

Re: Former Dorman Head Coach Lou Fogle

Postby MXDAD » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:51 am

My bad on the Rock Hill/NW coach mixup. I think Fogle was a northern boy which would answer the sweatshirt move (hockey). You pretty much hit the nail on the head 3rd and long. Your knowledge of the situation almost gives who you may be away. :D The players did attempt something, but it just didn't feel right. They didn't really have anything against Coach Clark, he had only been there for 2 years and I guess we were led to believe he had not been there long enough. His bark could be pretty tough at times. One of his favorite sayings we always mocked was "OK boys, this is live and in color". It wasn't what he said, it was how he said it. It was one of those things you had to be there to think was funny.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"-E. Burke

"Attitude reflects leadership"

"You can rob me, you can starve me. You can beat me, you can kill me. JUST DON'T BORE ME!"-T. Highway
MXDAD
All-American

Postby DeCavelier » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:07 pm

3rd and LONG wrote:When Fogle was released, Bill Carr, was supposedly wanting the job at Dorman, only problem was that he was the coach or former coach at Spartanburg High School and he did not want to have to apply for the job. I think he didn't want his name mentioned until it was a done deal. However, the board wanted him to apply and ultimately hired Al Clark who had been an assisstant at Spartanburg. When the players found out, they went on strike against Clark. I think that is how it all happened, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

That jives with what I've heard from my brother. He talks about going on strike as the reason he stopped playing ball which is a shame because I've heard he was a good player.

I'm a little cloudy on specifics but from what I can remember from what my brother says, he only played one year on varsity. The year before that the JV team went undefeated. Then in his first year on varsity the coach was being run off and he and his other friends on the team basically went to the top and told them that "if the coach goes so do we." So his career ended there.

He must have had some talent because after all the dust settled, they approached him again and tried to get him back on the team but by that point he'd discovered his new passion which was partying, a passion only previously curbed somewhat by football.

I don't know if it was just a different time or not (maybe the same thing happens now, but I doubt it) but he always used to talk when reminiscing about JV about getting together with a few other guys on the team and getting liquored up before the game every Friday and then head over to the stadium to play football.

He says the coach would be talking to them in the locker room and would look over at him and his friends who were obviously 3 sheets to the wind. "He'd just shake his head and tell us to go out there and do our best. He wasn't inclined to make an issue of it because we were beating everyone we played."

His most outrageous story involves lining up opposite the other teams defensive lineman on a particulary "heady" night. "The other guy was talking behind his facemask about what he was going to do to me. There I am, bleary eyed and swaying backward and forward. Just then it decides to come back up and I hurled right through my facemask and into his. The quarterback hikes the ball a second later and I ran him over."

But I digress. I'll find out what he knows about coach Fogle. I do know that he describes the coach he put his career on the line for as "the meanest son of a bitch I ever met. But we totally loved him."

Maybe I can get him to type up a couple paragraphs if he did indeed play for him.
“Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine.”- Elvis Presley
DeCavelier
All-American

Postby DeCavelier » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:14 pm

It's quite profound what a difference a coach can make to a team. Every now and then someone will quip that Dorman is successful primarily because of our new talent pool.

But the last 20 years tells a different story to me...

Dorman football pre-Fogle

Dorman football post-Fogle

Dorman football after Dave Gutshall becomes head coach

Dorman football after Gutshall also becomes Athletic Director for district 6

Dorman football after Gutshall steps down from AD to only coach varsity football

Am I confused about this?
DeCavelier
All-American

Postby 3rd and LONG » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:20 pm

Anybody ever heard of Lou Fogle and the "dew boys?" The "dew boys" were a punishment if you got in trouble at football camp. Fogle would make you get up early and jog up a hill in your jock strap and then roll down the hill. After doing this a couple of times, you had wet grass all over your ***, just in time for your teammates to come by on their way to breakfast.
Dorman Cavaliers: 2009 4A Div. 1 State Football Champions
Wofford Terriers: 2010 SoCon Basketball Champions
3rd and LONG
JV

Postby 3rd and LONG » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:25 pm

I'm not sure this really happened but I'd wouldn't doubt it didn't. Heard that the team had played really bad on an away game and when they got back, yhe buses pulled into the gate and Fogle got everybody off the buses and made them push the buses up the road, up a hill to the gym at the old school. I was told that the whole time the boys were pushing, he had his foot on the brake.
3rd and LONG
JV

Postby 3rd and LONG » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:29 pm

Talk about coaching blunders. When Dorman was established, the powers that be went to find a certain coach. They were told that he would be at this place and when they got there, they started talking football with this man and hired him. Problem was, he was not the coach they were going after but he was Wade Corn, the 1st head coach @ Dorman.
3rd and LONG
JV

Postby DeCavelier » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:32 pm

Sounds like maybe Gaffney should bring Fogle out of retirement. What say you guys?
DeCavelier
All-American

Postby SCPigskinPrep » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:13 pm

My best Fogle story......

It was 1980 and for some reason my Dad and Fogle had known each other from the ole days when my father coached.

Anyway, Fogle asked me to film Varsity games that year and i said yes. I was in the 8th grade that year but had experience filming and I guess he threw me or my dad a bone and asked me to help out. Now remember this is the ole days with big ole betamax video cams that weighed a ton.

I had torn my ACL over the summer and had the first of what would be 8 surgeries on the knee. By football season I was walking with a cane and a small cast / brace on the knee.

First away game of the season and we are playing at Gaffney. We get to the Reservation about 6:00 and unload the bus. Someone else carries the equipment and places it on the ground for me as I hobble off the bus. The team heads to the end zone to warm up and Fogle heads to the Gaffney locker room to shake hands with a Coach Curtis (??).

Fogle comes back out and sees me standing there with the equipment trying to figure out how I was going to carry all that crap all the way to the top of the press box. He looks at me, looks at my cane and cast and says "nothing wrong with your left leg is there ?" All I could say is no sir.

After the game he sent someone over to help me carry it down. I think he was more worried about me breaking the $5000 camera than me ripping my knee up again.

That season was the best in Dorman's history up to that point.
SCPigskinPrep
JV

Postby SCPigskinPrep » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:25 pm

BearcatinOk/COWN wrote:
MXDAD wrote:I played for the man and loved him. Tough love and mean as could be at times. He expected alot from his coaching staff so the ones he couldn't get along with were probably the ones that couldn't deliver. Most all remaining coaches tried to have Clark's entrance blocked. He was the outside linebacker coach. Good position coach but I can't really pass judgement on AD and head coaching job. You won't find any evidence of the behind the scenes politics. It was crazy. A group of coaches approached some key seniors/players to try to have the QB (name withheld) coach inserted into the head coach slot. Those seniors/players were to go before the school board with a proposal. Those guys paid the price for their involvement. Young and nieve was their only fault. TRUST ME, I KNOW THIS!! We defeated Spartan High in 82 in Clark's first season but it was Lou's boys at heart. Lou should be credited with that win as well. I liked the man for if for no other reason that he physically whipped a Rock Hill coach after a ball game one night. Men and coaches were made of a little different stuff then than they are now. This is where the libs will attack me now-----I'm waiting. :D :D I'm not trying to be disrespectful to today's way of doing things, I'm just saying it was different.

THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN A NW COACH.....COACH WALLACE IN FACT THAT GOT INTO IT WITH FOGLE AFTER THE GAME......ONLY THING WAS....FOGLE PULLED HIS SWEATSHIRT OVER HIS HEAD...THEN PROCEEDED TO WHOOP MOOSE......KINDA DIRTY.....BUT I GUESS ALL'S FAIR IN LOVE AND WAR RIGHT????????.....LMAO

That is not 100% accurate.

I was about 10 feet from where it happened.

Moose said something to Fogle about dirty play or something after the game. They argued and cursed a little as they left the field.

At the old Dorman stadium but teams shared the field house with the visitors on the left and Dorman on the right.

About 10 minutes after the game, Moose said something else to Fogle outside the field house., Lou let fly about 20 words you don't say in church. Moose then came up to Fogle and asked him if we wanted to say it to his face. Fogle pushed Moose back (or took a swing at Moose depending on whose version you beleive 30 years later) and Moose came back and kind of bumped him as he rushed him. Fogle swung and either hit Moose or missed him completely, again depending on who you believe. Then they both kind of tangled up and threw a few punches and mostly just pushed around and grabbed each other. No one really got a good shot in.

After they were separated, Moose had his sweatshirt kind of stretched / torn pulled over and the rumor started that Fogle hitting him while he was taking his shirt off. Never happened.

Even though it was embarrassing for both men, it was really much about nothing. Today of course both men would be fired on Monday morning.

The whole thing last 15 seconds if that.
SCPigskinPrep
JV

Postby MXDAD » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:26 pm

I don't think we can blame everything on the coaches during that period. By no means do they compare to Gutshall but they were not that bad. Coach Gutshall and staff have a very uncanny ability to get some amazing results out of less than stellar athletes at times. We have been very blessed with the group of kids coming through these past 3 years in the way they refuse to give up. Under weight and low in outright strength they still continue to fight till the whistle. As far as Fogle's "dew boys", I had the pleasure of being one 2 years in a row. Location was Mars Hill and we had a big hill beside our dorm. This punishment was for horseplay during afterhours. We were caught trying to put shaving cream into the hands of a sleeping coach. That punishment was usually non football related when I came through. Yes we were nothing but underwear or jock straps and it was before breakfast when it was still dark, 5:30 am or so. It was really pretty funny because we would be laughing the whole time we were snaking up that hill in that cold dew. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"-E. Burke

"Attitude reflects leadership"

"You can rob me, you can starve me. You can beat me, you can kill me. JUST DON'T BORE ME!"-T. Highway
MXDAD
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Class 4A