Former Dorman Head Coach Lou Fogle

This board covers the 48 teams that make up the top classification in South Carolina. Discuss the Big 16 and Division II teams and players.

Re: Former Dorman Head Coach Lou Fogle

Postby BearcatinOk/COWN » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:56 pm

SCPigskinPrep wrote:
BearcatinOk/COWN wrote:
MXDAD wrote:I played for the man and loved him. Tough love and mean as could be at times. He expected alot from his coaching staff so the ones he couldn't get along with were probably the ones that couldn't deliver. Most all remaining coaches tried to have Clark's entrance blocked. He was the outside linebacker coach. Good position coach but I can't really pass judgement on AD and head coaching job. You won't find any evidence of the behind the scenes politics. It was crazy. A group of coaches approached some key seniors/players to try to have the QB (name withheld) coach inserted into the head coach slot. Those seniors/players were to go before the school board with a proposal. Those guys paid the price for their involvement. Young and nieve was their only fault. TRUST ME, I KNOW THIS!! We defeated Spartan High in 82 in Clark's first season but it was Lou's boys at heart. Lou should be credited with that win as well. I liked the man for if for no other reason that he physically whipped a Rock Hill coach after a ball game one night. Men and coaches were made of a little different stuff then than they are now. This is where the libs will attack me now-----I'm waiting. :D :D I'm not trying to be disrespectful to today's way of doing things, I'm just saying it was different.

THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN A NW COACH.....COACH WALLACE IN FACT THAT GOT INTO IT WITH FOGLE AFTER THE GAME......ONLY THING WAS....FOGLE PULLED HIS SWEATSHIRT OVER HIS HEAD...THEN PROCEEDED TO WHOOP MOOSE......KINDA DIRTY.....BUT I GUESS ALL'S FAIR IN LOVE AND WAR RIGHT????????.....LMAO

That is not 100% accurate.

I was about 10 feet from where it happened.

Moose said something to Fogle about dirty play or something after the game. They argued and cursed a little as they left the field.

At the old Dorman stadium but teams shared the field house with the visitors on the left and Dorman on the right.

About 10 minutes after the game, Moose said something else to Fogle outside the field house., Lou let fly about 20 words you don't say in church. Moose then came up to Fogle and asked him if we wanted to say it to his face. Fogle pushed Moose back (or took a swing at Moose depending on whose version you beleive 30 years later) and Moose came back and kind of bumped him as he rushed him. Fogle swung and either hit Moose or missed him completely, again depending on who you believe. Then they both kind of tangled up and threw a few punches and mostly just pushed around and grabbed each other. No one really got a good shot in.

After they were separated, Moose had his sweatshirt kind of stretched / torn pulled over and the rumor started that Fogle hitting him while he was taking his shirt off. Never happened.

Even though it was embarrassing for both men, it was really much about nothing. Today of course both men would be fired on Monday morning.

The whole thing last 15 seconds if that.

Yeah...I'm sure I got the "NW version" back in those days....always figured it was cause Lou supposedly got the better of him.....lol.....I thought it was a hoot either version....lol
BearcatinOk/COWN
All-American

Postby RealmenofGenius » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:49 pm

to set the record straight, I was a JV player at NW when this happened (the coach getting punched out)and the year was 1977. NW was the doormat (no pun intended to Dorman) back then of the region. The Thursday before the game, our JV team led by Danny Walton, Jeff Mclenningham, and a guy named secret squirrel, beat Dorman's JV's at NW on the field inside the track.

After the game they were pissed, and a fight almost broke out between the coaches and players then and there. The next day our varsity had to go to Dorman.

the coach that got punched was NW head coach Ken Humphries, not Jimmy "Moose" Wallace. Coach Wallace was an assistant at Rock Hill when this happened.

the story we got from the players was that the team arrived at Dorman and no one was there to let them in the stadium. After a few minutes Coach Fogle came and did let them in. Humphries said something to Lou and Fogle cut loose. Humphries was carrying a clip board and as Lou punched, he held the clipboard up for protection. Fogle punched through the clipboard, breaking Humphries nose.

Humphries did not coach in the game and Dorman won 31-0 (not 100% sure of that score, but it's popping up for some reason).

none of us liked Humphries anyway and we thought it was hilarious. Several players and coaches all told the same story (Ed Prescott was one of the assistants)

Humphries coached one more season at NW, before Bobby Ivey took over. Toward the end of his last year he was driving a new Ford pick up and it was pretty much common knowledge that that was the settlement for getting punched out.

Lastly, make no mistake. I know Lou Fogle was tough and all that, but there is no WAY he would beat up Jimmy "Moose" Wallace like that. If you know coach Wallace like I do you would know this.
RealmenofGenius
Freshman

Postby RealmenofGenius » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:52 pm

forgot this..Coach Wallace didn't come to NW until 1987 and Fogle was gone
RealmenofGenius
Freshman

Postby Hanna1970 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:28 pm

Doug Echols was the NW coach that was punched in 1977. He complained about the conditions of the dressing room.
Hanna1970
Freshman

Postby DeCavelier » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:54 pm

You guys are all wrong. The year was 1976, I was 4 years old and saw it with my own eyes as I sucked on my fudgesicle. The coach that Fogle knocked out wasn't a coach at all but none other than Chuck Norris himself and it wasn't even a punch, it was a round house kick to the solar plexis. Then five ninjas jumped down from the roof of the field house and he took them out too. You heard it here first.
“Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine.”- Elvis Presley
DeCavelier
All-American

Postby DeCavelier » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:07 pm

LMAO!

Have we possibly overlooked the fact that this guy might have punched more than one coach in his career!?
“Ambition is a dream with a V8 engine.”- Elvis Presley
DeCavelier
All-American

Postby roverman » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:13 pm

Bearcatin, The coach Lou Fogle fought with behind the field house at Dorman that night was Coach Ken Humphries from Northwestern High School. Coach Moose Wallace had nothing to do with this. The SCHSL suspended Coach Fogle for a game or two.
roverman
Freshman

Postby BearcatinOk/COWN » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:26 pm

I STAND CORRECTED....AND APOLOGIZE TO THE APPROPRIATE PARTIES.....

Funny how you remember things...then over the years take them as FACT....I could have SWORN that I was told Coach Fogle got into a scuffle with Moose....IS IT POSSIBLE THAT BOTH ARE TRUE??????

HOWEVER.....I CAN CONFIRM THE STORY ABOUT LOU AND KEN HUMPRHIES....here's the archive link......

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=_j ... 7%2C163106
BearcatinOk/COWN
All-American

Postby BearcatinOk/COWN » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:33 pm

SCPigskinPrep wrote:
BearcatinOk/COWN wrote:
MXDAD wrote:I played for the man and loved him. Tough love and mean as could be at times. He expected alot from his coaching staff so the ones he couldn't get along with were probably the ones that couldn't deliver. Most all remaining coaches tried to have Clark's entrance blocked. He was the outside linebacker coach. Good position coach but I can't really pass judgement on AD and head coaching job. You won't find any evidence of the behind the scenes politics. It was crazy. A group of coaches approached some key seniors/players to try to have the QB (name withheld) coach inserted into the head coach slot. Those seniors/players were to go before the school board with a proposal. Those guys paid the price for their involvement. Young and nieve was their only fault. TRUST ME, I KNOW THIS!! We defeated Spartan High in 82 in Clark's first season but it was Lou's boys at heart. Lou should be credited with that win as well. I liked the man for if for no other reason that he physically whipped a Rock Hill coach after a ball game one night. Men and coaches were made of a little different stuff then than they are now. This is where the libs will attack me now-----I'm waiting. :D :D I'm not trying to be disrespectful to today's way of doing things, I'm just saying it was different.

THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN A NW COACH.....COACH WALLACE IN FACT THAT GOT INTO IT WITH FOGLE AFTER THE GAME......ONLY THING WAS....FOGLE PULLED HIS SWEATSHIRT OVER HIS HEAD...THEN PROCEEDED TO WHOOP MOOSE......KINDA DIRTY.....BUT I GUESS ALL'S FAIR IN LOVE AND WAR RIGHT????????.....LMAO

That is not 100% accurate.

I was about 10 feet from where it happened.

Moose said something to Fogle about dirty play or something after the game. They argued and cursed a little as they left the field.

At the old Dorman stadium but teams shared the field house with the visitors on the left and Dorman on the right.

About 10 minutes after the game, Moose said something else to Fogle outside the field house., Lou let fly about 20 words you don't say in church. Moose then came up to Fogle and asked him if we wanted to say it to his face. Fogle pushed Moose back (or took a swing at Moose depending on whose version you beleive 30 years later) and Moose came back and kind of bumped him as he rushed him. Fogle swung and either hit Moose or missed him completely, again depending on who you believe. Then they both kind of tangled up and threw a few punches and mostly just pushed around and grabbed each other. No one really got a good shot in.

After they were separated, Moose had his sweatshirt kind of stretched / torn pulled over and the rumor started that Fogle hitting him while he was taking his shirt off. Never happened.

Even though it was embarrassing for both men, it was really much about nothing. Today of course both men would be fired on Monday morning.

The whole thing last 15 seconds if that.

I guess we were BOTH WRONG DAVE.....lol
BearcatinOk/COWN
All-American

Postby DiscoInferno » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:43 am

It was before the game!! The DHS captains ( Lee Blackwell and Sam Stutt ) were also told by Fogle not to shake hands with the NW captains! The refs made them shake anyway !!
DiscoInferno
Freshman

PreviousNext

Return to Class 4A