Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 11 guests

Greenwood's Cathcart to Seneca

This board covers the 48 teams that make up the top classification in South Carolina. Discuss the Big 16 and Division II teams and players.

Greenwood's Cathcart to Seneca

Postby Palmetto » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:40 am

Word is Gene Cathcart will be named new HC at Seneca. If so, this is a great hire for Seneca.
Gene is a DW Daniel grad and I was hoping that is where he would end up-not that Randy Robinson is out but there is a huge contingent that want him out-any other coach worth their a darn would have won at least 3 state championships with the teams he has had access too.
Seneca is loaded and is going to be very good the next 2 years and Cathcart has proven track record.
Palmetto
Freshman
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:27 pm

Re: Greenwood's Cathcart to Seneca

Postby pctiger81 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:03 am

http://www.indexjournal.com/Content/Spo ... 5/41/23158

Must be true. Everybody wants to go home one day!
pctiger81
Freshman
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: Greenwood's Cathcart to Seneca

Postby Palmetto » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:43 am

pctiger81 wrote:http://www.indexjournal.com/Content/Sports/Sports/Article/Source--Cathcart-to-coach-Seneca/5/41/23158

Must be true. Everybody wants to go home one day!



Only problem is, that isn't going home! Gene is a Daniel alum and Seneca is Daniel's main rival-Not much of a rivalry- but it should be a good job nonetheless and Seneca got a good coach-I personally would rather see him at Daniel.
Palmetto
Freshman
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:27 pm

Re: Greenwood's Cathcart to Seneca

Postby likeitRnot » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:09 am

Palmetto wrote:Word is Gene Cathcart will be named new HC at Seneca. If so, this is a great hire for Seneca.
Gene is a DW Daniel grad and I was hoping that is where he would end up-not that Randy Robinson is out but there is a huge contingent that want him out-any other coach worth their a darn would have won at least 3 state championships with the teams he has had access too.
Seneca is loaded and is going to be very good the next 2 years and Cathcart has proven track record.



I was thinking the same thing! How are the Daniel fans feeling ? I know the pressure must be high after the state game!
likeitRnot
All-American
 
Posts: 1543
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:18 pm

Re: Greenwood's Cathcart to Seneca

Postby ShivaBlast » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:32 pm

Gene Cathcart is a heck of a head coach, and an amateur comedian (you should hear him speak at local events... it is spectacular!). Seneca got a heck of a good one. I had him pegged for the Hanna job, so I was pretty surprised at this one. I knew he was unhappy at Greenwood, but this is something I didn't expect.

Several thoughts come to mind: 1) Why was he so unhappy at Greenwood? He is one year removed from a State Championship, he obviously has the right formula in place with as many State Championship appearances as he has had, and he just got through with his requisite injury-plagued, "rebuilding" season this past year. So what possible angst could have been going on behind the scenes that made Greenwood so undesirable for him?

2) What direction does Greenwood go in now? If Gene Cathcart, one of the best in-state high school coaches, garnered their ill-will, who are they looking for? What are they looking for in their next head coach?

3) In the rumor mill floating across the Lakelands, Cathcart leaving would be interpreted as the first in a long line of dominoes fixing to fall. With Cathcart gone, who goes to Greenwood and how does that affect the rest of the Lakelands-area jobs? I know the Saluda job is still open in 2A, and the McCormick job still has "interim" attached to their coach in 1A, and I've heard rumors of Jamie Nickles of Abbeville wanting the Greenwood job if and when it comes open. I'm just curious how many dominoes will fall in this coaching search.

I'm still rather unfamiliar with the Greenwood area, so anyone who knows better than I do, please throw me your thoughts.
ShivaBlast
Freshman
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:39 am

Re: Greenwood's Cathcart to Seneca

Postby chopblock » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:13 pm

ShivaBlast wrote:Gene Cathcart is a heck of a head coach, and an amateur comedian (you should hear him speak at local events... it is spectacular!). Seneca got a heck of a good one. I had him pegged for the Hanna job, so I was pretty surprised at this one. I knew he was unhappy at Greenwood, but this is something I didn't expect.

Several thoughts come to mind: 1) Why was he so unhappy at Greenwood? He is one year removed from a State Championship, he obviously has the right formula in place with as many State Championship appearances as he has had, and he just got through with his requisite injury-plagued, "rebuilding" season this past year. So what possible angst could have been going on behind the scenes that made Greenwood so undesirable for him?

2) What direction does Greenwood go in now? If Gene Cathcart, one of the best in-state high school coaches, garnered their ill-will, who are they looking for? What are they looking for in their next head coach?

3) In the rumor mill floating across the Lakelands, Cathcart leaving would be interpreted as the first in a long line of dominoes fixing to fall. With Cathcart gone, who goes to Greenwood and how does that affect the rest of the Lakelands-area jobs? I know the Saluda job is still open in 2A, and the McCormick job still has "interim" attached to their coach in 1A, and I've heard rumors of Jamie Nickles of Abbeville wanting the Greenwood job if and when it comes open. I'm just curious how many dominoes will fall in this coaching search.

I'm still rather unfamiliar with the Greenwood area, so anyone who knows better than I do, please throw me your thoughts.


Coach Cathcart was not unhappy with Greenwood. He will be the first to tell you that Greenwood is one of the best if not the best jobs in the State. He is leaving to be closer to his kids. I admire him for leaving a job that pays 10k-15k more a year to be closer to his kids. Lets Seneca knows what they are getting a man that puts family first. He will be missed.
chopblock
Freshman
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:33 am

Re: Greenwood's Cathcart to Seneca

Postby cutiger1900 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:18 pm

chopblock wrote:
ShivaBlast wrote:
Coach Cathcart was not unhappy with Greenwood. He will be the first to tell you that Greenwood is one of the best if not the best jobs in the State. He is leaving to be closer to his kids. I admire him for leaving a job that pays 10k-15k more a year to be closer to his kids. Lets Seneca knows what they are getting a man that puts family first. He will be missed.


I was told this was big reason he was interested in TLH job, makes lot of sense but I am sure it is hard to leave a talent rich program like Greenwood


He should do well at Seneca
cutiger1900
Freshman
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:24 pm

Re: Greenwood's Cathcart to Seneca

Postby ShivaBlast » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:40 am

That''s good to know, ChopBlock. Thanks for the info. I already respect the man greatly; now only more so.

I believe that Seneca just hit the lottery.
ShivaBlast
Freshman
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:39 am


Return to Class 4A

cron