Woodruff vs Union County, 10/5/2018

The board dedicated to the Class 3A schools in South Carolina. Follow the schools here in their drive for a trip to Columbia.

Woodruff vs Union County, 10/5/2018

Postby Wolverine Legend » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:17 pm

Man, it's so hard to believe we're now closing in on the home stretch of this football season! It always takes so long to get here and then it flies by in the blink of an eye. This week the Woodruff Wolverines take on the Union County Yellow Jackets in a game that should decide who wins Region III-3A. The winner would be in the driver's seat, and if that team is Woodruff, the Wolverines' stiffest competition would be behind them.

Woodruff exited their bye week in fine form last Friday, handling Newberry 35-21 behind a sterling performance once again from quarterback Keegan Halloran who completed 14-18 passes for 233 yards and two touchdowns. The Wolverines also scored three times on the ground and had success against a big and physical Newberry defensive front. Now will come the Wolverines' last big test this year as Union County comes to W.L. Varner Stadium. It will take a big effort from Woodruff to win the game, but a high-scoring and balanced offense and an improved defense has the capability to get the job done.

Union County, meanwhile, has had an up and down season. The Yellow Jackets are immensely talented, especially on offense, but come in at 3-3 on the year after playing a brutal non-conference schedule. All three Union County wins have been against bad teams while all three losses have come to good teams. They will certainly see a good Woodruff team Friday. The Yellow Jackets have a fine offense, led by athletic quarterback Kesean Glover. Glover is more of a runner than a passer, and relies heavily on stud tailback T.T. Kershaw who averages around 150 yards rushing per game. The Jackets' offensive line is big and physical, and the defense, while not great, has shown some improvement. Union County will need to click in all facets of the game to win in one of the most hostile road environments in the state come Friday.

This should be a great game. The weather is supposed to be perfect so I expect a huge and rowdy crowd. Woodruff coach Bradley Adams left Union County to come to Woodruff in the offseason so there is ample motivation on both sides to win this game, playoff seeding not withstanding. Both teams have talented offenses, but the Wolverines' ability to stretch the field vertically in the passing game and run the ball will be a deciding factor here. Also, Woodruff is a little better defensively through six games and Woodruff will make a few big second half stops to give the offense time to take over. It will be a good game, but when the clock hits zero....

Woodruff 38
Union County 27
Welcome to Woodruff, the original title town. Pardon us for the beatdown you are about to receive. We hope you enjoy your visit, and please come again soon!
Wolverine Legend
All-American

Re: Woodruff vs Union County, 10/5/2018

Postby region2 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:25 pm

Not sure what a prediction should be. Turnovers, unexpected things can make a difference. And I really don't think the coaching change will have much of an impact. Adams just made a move to a better paying job. Dont think any hard feelings exist. But agree with you on one thing. And maybe because I am getting older. I always so look forward to football season. As I did this year. And in the blink of an eye it seems we are halfway through the season.ibguess it is just the scehdules these days. Many schools had played three games before Labor Day. My old school body clock says that nobody should play until the first Friday in September. Anyway, should be a good atmosphere Friday night, and a good game.
region2
All-American

Postby Wolverine Legend » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:06 pm

[quote=“region2”]Not sure what a prediction should be. Turnovers, unexpected things can make a difference. And I really don’t think the coaching change will have much of an impact. Adams just made a move to a better paying job. Dont think any hard feelings exist. But agree with you on one thing. And maybe because I am getting older. I always so look forward to football season. As I did this year. And in the blink of an eye it seems we are halfway through the season.ibguess it is just the scehdules these days. Many schools had played three games before Labor Day. My old school body clock says that nobody should play until the first Friday in September. Anyway, should be a good atmosphere Friday night, and a good game.[/quote]

It should be a very good game. Not sure who your team is, but you're always welcome at Varner Stadium if you want to come see a great game Friday!
Welcome to Woodruff, the original title town. Pardon us for the beatdown you are about to receive. We hope you enjoy your visit, and please come again soon!
Wolverine Legend
All-American

Postby blister » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:26 pm

I'm not getting in that mess. Woodruff is a fine place for football, but I don't need that crowd. Didn't go to Union, or Woodruff, or any family that did. May end up at Dorman/Gaffney. But am sure Union/Woodruff will be a good game.
blister
Freshman

Postby 76 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:23 am

Good ballgame. classic game that proves the old adage that a good big football will almost always beat a good little team.

Good win Union good luck the rest of the season.
Varsity

Postby 1fan » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:05 pm

i am a little surprised.i thought Woodruff would win this game.Union must have a pretty good team.
1fan
Freshman

Postby maroon&gold4ever » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:07 pm

Pure and simple, Union won this game up front. They dominated the line on both sides of the ball. To me the late hit out of bounds changed the momentum and Woodruff never fully recovered. Congrats to the Jackets, you are much better than the record and are a very good team.
maroon&gold4ever
JV

Return to Class 3A