State 3A Football Ranking 9/29/10

The board dedicated to the Class 3A schools in South Carolina. Follow the schools here in their drive for a trip to Columbia.

State 3A Football Ranking 9/29/10

Postby kickit » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:27 pm

Below is the State Football rankings posted on 9/29/10:

1. Myrtle Beach
2. South Pointe
3. Fairfield Central
4. Belton-Honea Path
5. Clinton
6. Greenville
7. Camden
8. Berkeley
9. Wade Hampton
10. Marlboro County
kickit
Freshman

Re: State 3A Football Ranking 9/29/10

Postby kickit » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:32 pm

I'm satisfied with BHP's ranking of #4. I'm also satisfied Clinton didn't fall far below at #5. Red Devils still have my respect and apparently others too. Keep your heads up devils--you've got a good team to be proud of!
kickit
Freshman

Postby 75CHSFAN » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:02 pm

No way Wade Hampton deserves the #9 ranking.
They may well finish the season 9-1 due to a weak schedule.
However, they will be one and done in the playoffs.
Consider the competition when ranking teams.
Several 3A teams with 3-2 records are much better than Wade Hampton at 5-0.
Otherwise I think those rankings are fairly well justified.

Othherwise, look at these teams that are 3-2 playing strong schedules:
Greer, Chester, and Nation Ford teams have lost to good competition that will make them all better come playoff time.

75CHSFAN
Varsity

Postby deeznutz55 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:21 am

funny that SP drops a spot after defeating big 16 Spartanburg on national TV...im sure none of them care, nor do I but still, it goes to show you how much weight to put on those rankings
deeznutz55
Freshman

Postby HSFBjunkie » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:01 pm

deeznutz55 wrote:funny that SP drops a spot after defeating big 16 Spartanburg on national TV...im sure none of them care, nor do I but still, it goes to show you how much weight to put on those rankings

Big 16 doesn't automatically make you a great team.
Spartanburg isn't. And you beat them by one in OT.
Educating the public about what "running up the score" truly is, one soccer mom at a time.
HSFBjunkie
Varsity

Postby Raider03 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:14 pm

75CHSFAN wrote:.

Greer, Chester, and Nation Ford teams have lost to good competition that will make them all better come playoff time.

Truth.
Raider03
Freshman

Postby region2 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:34 pm

Raider, I hate to agree with you but I must. And I am a WH guy. WH is little more than a very average football team that found a way to piece together maybe the easiest schule ever devised in 3A football. The sad part about it is that WH does have a lot of talent. They shouldn't need the cupcake schedule. But we will see Friday night. In the minds of most, if Greenville beats them handily it will prove that WH's program is going nowhere, just a bit above some of the awful football being seen around the upstate these days. But the coach played it smart. He was under a temendous amount of criticism (still is from those that have a clue), and scheduled this year to make sure his job was safe with a principal who could in reality care less about the program. One would have thought that with all of the ultimate bottom feeders in Region 2, that he would have put at least one other tough game on his schedule to prepare for the playoffs. But then again I guess they didn;t want to take that chance after somehow finding a way to lose to TR and Eastside (twice) last year. It is a pity too, as they have plenty of talent over there.
region2
Varsity

Postby HSFBjunkie » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:36 pm

To those that say that WH hasn't played anyone any good, why do you not consider Columbia any good?
Is it because of tradition, because they're 2A or just because they're not from around here?
Because they beat Thurmond tonight to go to 4-2. I think anyone that follows high school football in this state, knows that Thurmond is a very strong program.

I would say that Columbia is much better than the majority of Wade Hampton's fellow teams in Greenvile County.
Educating the public about what "running up the score" truly is, one soccer mom at a time.
HSFBjunkie
Varsity

Postby Raider03 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:32 am

junkie...
Just because Columbia is better than most of the Greenville County schools...doesn't make them good. Now if they were competing on the level of Greenville or Greer, that'd be different. But currently the Massey power ratings have Columbia as 93rd best team in the state. I don't know about you, but to me that doesn't scream that they are a big time program at this point...that doesn't mean they're the terrible, but not a 'big-time' win.

In the end, it's not that I have a huge distaste or dislike for WH, but it's I've seen them play this year, and they simply are not nearly as good as that 5-0 record looks.
Raider03
Freshman

Postby Spartan Dragon » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:14 am

75CHSFAN wrote:.

A 3-2 record should not rank one higher than someone with a 5-0 record. This opinion suits those who prefer rankings based on performance. If you win more, you earn a higher ranking. If you lose more, you earn a lower ranking.

Those who like 3-2 teams above 5-0 teams prefer rankings based on favorites. These are usually voted by coaches, the press, etc.
Spartan Dragon
Freshman

Next

Return to Class 3A