New Indian Land coach wants parents on his side

The board dedicated to the Class 3A schools in South Carolina. Follow the schools here in their drive for a trip to Columbia.

New Indian Land coach wants parents on his side

Postby bhmccorm » Fri May 19, 2017 9:26 am

Horatio "H.B." Blades was hired as Indian Land's new football coach - you may remember him as 2006 Big East Defensive Player of the Year at Pitt - after his predecessor was forced to resign essentially because of a parent protest. Blades talked about his plans to deal with what are some involved - in good and bad ways probably - parents at Indian Land: http://www.heraldonline.com/sports/high ... 75817.html

Interested to hear any thoughts on this one, because I'm sure there are some coaches and parents on here.
bhmccorm
Freshman

Re: New Indian Land coach wants parents on his side

Postby ST Rebels 72 » Sat May 20, 2017 8:30 pm

I remember him, his dad, and his uncle when they played. He sounds like an awesome young man. If the community rallies behind this guy, I think he might be able to build one heck of a program there.
Last edited by ST Rebels 72 on Sat May 27, 2017 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PRIDE, CLASS, COURAGE AND THE WILL TO WIN
ST Rebels 72
All-American

Postby Wolverine Legend » Fri May 26, 2017 11:18 pm

Bottom line, parents have no business having a say in high school athletics. Tell them, harshly if you have to, to butt out! If they don't like it, kick their kid(s) off the team.
Welcome to Woodruff, the original title town. Pardon us for the beatdown you are about to receive. We hope you enjoy your visit, and please come again soon!
Wolverine Legend
All-American

Postby ST Rebels 72 » Sat May 27, 2017 1:49 pm

lol....yeah, that's a smart way to gain the support of the home town people.
PRIDE, CLASS, COURAGE AND THE WILL TO WIN
ST Rebels 72
All-American

Postby bhmccorm » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:03 am

Very true words about Horatio. He's very worldly, interesting and engaging guy to talk to. I think he'll get Indian Land competitive before too long.

And agree on the parents; the hard part for the coach is how to get that message out without burning bridges that might be useful for fund-raising, financial support, or creating animosity right off the bat. I think that's the tightrope they have to walk now. I talk to a lot of what I would call old school coaches who hate that they have to do that.
bhmccorm
Freshman

Return to Class 3A