Berea new coach

The board dedicated to the Class 3A schools in South Carolina. Follow the schools here in their drive for a trip to Columbia.

Berea new coach

Postby yinzguys » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:05 am

Who is going to be the next Head Coach at Berea seems that bringing back Coach Greene didn't go as planed. Do they go young this time or try for established again? There are some up and coming names the maybe able to fix the issues there on their way up. Or maybe this is the job for a older coach that wants one last turn around. Is there anyone who would want to set up roots in Berea and make this program their own.
yinzguys
Freshman

Re: Berea new coach

Postby region2 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:51 pm

Berea is a tough job these days, as Green found out. Different community than it used to be. Green wanted to come back home and finish up his coaching days. Understand that. Almost wish they would give Robbie Cole another chance. He was trying to rebuild the thing from the bottom up, but got booted as Green wanting to come back was too good to pass up. I really think you need a younger guy here. Not the long time tradition of GC schools of just giving it to the next assistant in line around the county. Program going to take a lot of work. Need someone in there that wants to prove themselves as opposed to someone closing in on retirement.

Have a feeling there will also, or should, be other opening in the county:

TR
Blue Ridge
Southside
Riverside
Wade Hampton (maybe)
And it wouldn’t surprise me if Eastside didn’t open. Morgan is a Northwestern guy, and is well thought of there. His success at Blythewood, and now at Eastside, make him an attractive candidate.
region2
All-American

Postby yinzguys » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:04 am

region2 wrote:Berea is a tough job these days, as Green found out. Different community than it used to be. Green wanted to come back home and finish up his coaching days. Understand that. Almost wish they would give Robbie Cole another chance. He was trying to rebuild the thing from the bottom up, but got booted as Green wanting to come back was too good to pass up. I really think you need a younger guy here. Not the long time tradition of GC schools of just giving it to the next assistant in line around the county. Program going to take a lot of work. Need someone in there that wants to prove themselves as opposed to someone closing in on retirement.

TR
Blue Ridge
Southside
Riverside
Wade Hampton (maybe)
And it wouldn’t surprise me if Eastside didn’t open. Morgan is a Northwestern guy, and is well thought of there. His success at Blythewood, and now at Eastside, make him an attractive candidate.

I agree with you about Coach Cole, but think it would be a hard sell to get him back. If anything TR should promote him to take over maybe he could rebuild there like he was doing at Berea. As far as Southside didn't Coach Prince already quit that job once wouldn't leaving the same job twice in a calendar year be a little much. Don't see Blue Ridge making the move yet Coach Clark is also the AD would he lose both jobs or just step down from football? Both Riverside and Wade Hampton should be open before Christmas, but it will be tough to attract quality coaches to do 5a in Greenville Co. If Coach Morgan leaves that will be 4 head coaches in 4 years at Eastside if you include Woolcock the what is leading to this instability? I also agree you should go young at Berea it is going to take tons of energy to fix the issues there.
yinzguys
Freshman

Postby region2 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:42 pm

[quote=“yinzguys”][quote=“region2″]Berea is a tough job these days, as Green found out. Different community than it used to be. Green wanted to come back home and finish up his coaching days. Understand that. Almost wish they would give Robbie Cole another chance. He was trying to rebuild the thing from the bottom up, but got booted as Green wanting to come back was too good to pass up. I really think you need a younger guy here. Not the long time tradition of GC schools of just giving it to the next assistant in line around the county. Program going to take a lot of work. Need someone in there that wants to prove themselves as opposed to someone closing in on retirement.

TR
Blue Ridge
Southside
Riverside
Wade Hampton (maybe)
And it wouldn’t surprise me if Eastside didn’t open. Morgan is a Northwestern guy, and is well thought of there. His success at Blythewood, and now at Eastside, make him an attractive candidate.[/quote]

I agree with you about Coach Cole, but think it would be a hard sell to get him back. If anything TR should promote him to take over maybe he could rebuild there like he was doing at Berea. As far as Southside didn’t Coach Prince already quit that job once wouldn’t leaving the same job twice in a calendar year be a little much. Don’t see Blue Ridge making the move yet Coach Clark is also the AD would he lose both jobs or just step down from football? Both Riverside and Wade Hampton should be open before Christmas, but it will be tough to attract quality coaches to do 5a in Greenville Co. If Coach Morgan leaves that will be 4 head coaches in 4 years at Eastside if you include Woolcock the what is leading to this instability? I also agree you should go young at Berea it is going to take tons of energy to fix the issues there.[/quote]

Agree that Cole wouldn't want to go back to Berea. But at the same time don't think you promote off a from a staff at TR, even though maybe not their fault, unless it is a winning program. At Southside, word was that though Prince came back that he was absolutely going after this year. He is a good guy, in a tough job. Whatever he wants is fine. Thought I heard this week that BR had indeed opened. Figure Riverside will undoubtably open. One would figure that the guy at WH will get out, but maybe not if he doesn't have another place to land. If Morgan gets the NW job, one can't blame him for leaving. As far as the coaching instability at Eastside, Thompson should have been run a couple of years before he was, and the whole deal with Wilson last year was just a shame, and a total mess.
region2
All-American

Postby DeAndre » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:26 pm

Should be announced soon. Had to wait for a lower state team to lose out last week. That was the last interview. It will be interesting to see who they choose.
What's up with dat?
DeAndre
Freshman

Postby yinzguys » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:58 am

One round of interviews and done? Must have known who the wanted all along. Internal hire?
yinzguys
Freshman

Postby footballfan6 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:10 pm

Probably going to be Prince from Southside
footballfan6
Freshman

Postby DeAndre » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:21 pm

Southside came open today. That’s a logical conclusion, but hard to believe.
What's up with dat?
DeAndre
Freshman

Postby yinzguys » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:07 pm

It makes sense for Coach Prince as he wanted out of South Side Don't know that there weren't better options for Berea though not sure who applied, but one would think there was at least one or two better options on staff.
yinzguys
Freshman

Postby region2 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:43 pm

You can't go with existing staff. If the program is winning and you want continuity, maybe. But never been a fan of just promoting someone from a staff where the program is not winning.
region2
All-American

Next

Return to Class 3A