96 vs. Chesterfield

The class 2A board is dedicated to all the schools around the state that compete in Class 2A and work towards the goal of a state championship.

96 vs. Chesterfield

Postby Knights4Lyfe » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:01 am

With St. Joe's on the road, I was able to go watch 96 play at home against Chesterfield. It was a great back and forth game with Chesterfield mounting a comeback in the fourth. They eventually lost to a very athletic 96 team 34-42.

The crazy thing was the ending.

With 18 seconds left in the fourth, 96 was on offense and #10 from 96 looked to have thrown a punch after the play and the sidelines began to clear with the coaches having to come out and separate players. 96 was called for an unsportsmanlike penalty and I assume #10 was ejected for the punch. The crazy part was that the refs looked to have decided to end the game by running the clock without ever making 96 snap the ball or marking off the penalty they had just called.

I am definitely a casual observer with no dog in the fight, but I need someone smarter why the officials did that, and since it's the playoffs will #10 miss the next game? Or is that different in the playoffs? It would be a shame, he's a good player.
Knights4Lyfe
Freshman

Re: 96 vs. Chesterfield

Postby Knights4Lyfe » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:04 am

PS - Thanks to Coach Wheeler for an amazing season. It ended tonight, but what a difference a year makes! The future is bright again at SJCHS!!!!
Knights4Lyfe
Freshman

Postby 96fanatic » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:49 am

[quote=“Knights4Lyfe”]With St. Joe’s on the road, I was able to go watch 96 play at home against Chesterfield. It was a great back and forth game with Chesterfield mounting a comeback in the fourth. They eventually lost to a very athletic 96 team 34-42.

The crazy thing was the ending.

With 18 seconds left in the fourth, 96 was on offense and #10 from 96 looked to have thrown a punch after the play and the sidelines began to clear with the coaches having to come out and separate players. 96 was called for an unsportsmanlike penalty and I assume #10 was ejected for the punch. The crazy part was that the refs looked to have decided to end the game by running the clock without ever making 96 snap the ball or marking off the penalty they had just called.

I am definitely a casual observer with no dog in the fight, but I need someone smarter why the officials did that, and since it’s the playoffs will #10 miss the next game? Or is that different in the playoffs? It would be a shame, he’s a good player.[/quote]

the CHESTERFIELD coach declined the penalty.
there was a couple of punches thrown by both
teams.after the game they shook hands.#10 for
96 did go over and make an apology and the players
hugged it out.that was a tough hard hitting game
for there to be a lot of points scored.96 got 3 players
hurt again.i hope they will be ready for next week.
96fanatic
All-American

Postby Truefan » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:38 am

If there was a penalty of unsportsmanlike declined or not, the individual should based on call serve the penalty. However if not ejected, and no one know why after throwing a punch, who knows what the official report will be to the HSL. It always changes from incident to report :mrgreen:
"The point of the game is not how well the individual does but whether the team wins.It's the feeling of teamwork that you'll remember. You'll forget the plays, the hits, and the scores, but you'll never forget your teammates"
Truefan
Varsity

Postby 96fanatic » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:07 am

[quote=“Truefan”]If there was a penalty of unsportsmanlike declined or not, the individual should based on call serve the penalty. However if not ejected, and no one know why after throwing a punch, who knows what the official report will be to the HSL. It always changes from incident to report :mrgreen:[/quote]

in the 1st half #21 for CHESTERFIELD threw an elbow
and knocked #1 for 96 to the ground after the play.
a personal foul was called but the player was not
ejected.like i said the players went at it pretty
good several times but shook hands after.nothing
out of control.
96fanatic
All-American

Postby *Topcat* » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:25 am

96 will need all hands on deck vs Southside Christian....they are very good......big and athletic.
*Topcat*
All-American

Postby 96fanatic » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:45 pm

[quote=”*Topcat*”]96 will need all hands on deck vs Southside Christian....they are very good......big and athletic.[/quote]

no doubt about it.they beat 96
last year 31-7.the year before
96 won up there 35-34.i went up
there this year and watched ABBEVILLE
that was a fine game.
the last several games the SABRE defense
has been outstanding.if my WILDCATS
were 100% healthy i think they could
give them a good game.but we got
some guys just flat banged up.it may
be a rough night for my WILDCATS.
96fanatic