[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Palmetto Football Talk | View topic - Home school teams; good idea bad idea

Home school teams; good idea bad idea

This is the forum for those who don't want to talk trash, don't want to bash teams, etc. Just for people who want to have serious conversations about high school football.

Home school teams; good idea bad idea

Postby rickpatriots » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:23 pm

I was the DCoach for the AFC Rangers last year. Congrats Southpointe, this year. Now I coach a 17U team (15&16 incl). We will play prep league next year.

The 'home school teams' provide oppty for kids who (reguardless of the circumstances-school, personal or family) are unable or no confident in their abilities to play HS football. Some of them can play HS ball, but dont like the HS team or coach they have to play for. There are alot of politics in HS ball, as well amongst some coaching staffs.

Teams like Carolina Pride, Rangers, MT Zion, Q Foundation and others keep the boys active and EVERYONE PLAYS! thats the key point. There are no roster politics, 'grandfathered' players and they get alot of incentive to rejoin the HS ranks next year. Truthfully, most of us even assist players in creating profile tapes to send to D1, 2, 3 schools across the nation.
Its alot more than a Gridiron gang organization or group of kids...by far
rickpatriots
Freshman

Re: Home school teams; good idea bad idea

Postby AikenRooster » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:07 pm

"I swear by my life, and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine." John Galt
AikenRooster
Varsity

Postby wolverinelegend » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:34 am

Wolverine-ville, USA....we hope you enjoy your stay, and pardon us for the beatdown you are about to receive! 2010, year of the Wolverines
wolverinelegend
Varsity

Postby ST Rebels 72 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:47 pm

PRIDE, CLASS, COURAGE AND THE WILL TO WIN
ST Rebels 72
All-American

Postby TigerD151 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:26 pm

thnx rooster!
TigerD151
Freshman

Postby wesley » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:38 am

I wonder how many of you actually know anyone who home schools or sends their children to private school?

I'll say up front that I follow and support Laurens Academy and have several cousins who home school so I have some experience in this area. I'd like to address some of the points that have been made in this thread.

Racists? Yes, some of the private schools founded in the 60s and early 70s were origionally started to avoid segregation; but every year there are less "lilly white ' schools out there. At Laurens Academy we have black,latino, arabic, chinese and native american students, and most private schools reflect the same type of makeup.

Most parents who send their children to private school are anything but rich. They are overwhelmingly middle class, two income families. And in addition to paying tuition they help send your children to public school because they still have to pay taxes to support those public schools they don't use. So private schools and home schoolers take NO resourses from the public schools. The charter school movement is where you should have a problem; that's your money going to pay for the elites to have taxpayer funded private schools!

Since we can pick and choose which students we accept It's not fair to compare academic achievement between public and private. Both can do an excellent job of preparing our young people for the future.

Finally to sports. Laurens Academy Baseball plays 10-12 games a year against SCHSL teams, mostly 1A and 2A. We are competative there, but couldn't compete in any other sport. See we only have 45 boys in the high school. Only the biggest 3A private schools could compete against the smallest SCHSL schools with any kind of consistancy, so this shouldn't even be a matter for discussion.

My point is that parents choose public school, private school, or home schooling for myriad reasons. I respect each one of them because I believe that their primary reason for their descision is what's best for their child.
"I AM WAR. I TAKE THEM ALL. I MAKE THEIR MOTHERS CRY. I HAVE NO MERCY. I AM WAR." GSGT BOB LEE ( BOB THE NAILER ) SWAGGER.
wesley
All-American

Postby Spartan Dragon » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:56 pm

I rather have an independent statewide high school age league. Instead of showing loyalty to a specific school or having numerous shoddy programs, you can have competitive area based teams with strong youth development. This is all a pipe dream, but would be something similar to American Legion baseball.
Spartan Dragon
Freshman

Postby fridaynitelights » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:52 am

You can debate the issue all you want, but if you're not enrolled in a particular school, why should you be allowed to play for them? if you want to play that sport for that school, then you should GO TO THAT SCHOOL.

i know that people are looking for social opportunities for their home school kids, but, imo, they're already hurting them socially by having them there. If they want to increase their social skills, put them in an environment everyday with a couple hundred other people.

What really are you trying to protect a child from by home schooling? Or private schooling?
fridaynitelights
Freshman

Postby 3-3 Stack » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:01 pm

3-3 Stack
All-American

Postby Griffin » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:08 pm

I agree with Aiken.I really don't like the home school situation because this is a time for kids to get out and find themselves and meet others. I think parents kind of hamper a kid when they homeschool them. As far as sports goes, they should be able to play at a local high school they are zoned for if that is what they want to do, but people have to remember that once you get to high school there is no gurantee you will see action. Either you are good or you arent and I don't think it should be held against them if they are home schooled. To be honest, I just don't understand why someone would want to home school their child. High School years are the best years other than college.
Griffin
All-American

Next

Return to No Trash, No Bash