NW COACH

This board covers the teams playing in Class 5A in South Carolina.

Re: NW COACH

Postby Beanie » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:51 pm

[quote=“daCoacher”]NW has successfully went from one of the TOP programs in the state to a disaster!

FB CITY USA is dying FAST![/quote]

The reports of Football City, USA’s death are greatly exaggerated. Bearcats have discovered a new innovation: power run game. City champs last year and looking to hold the crown. Now it’s time for a deeper post-season run to prove their worth.
Beanie
Freshman

Postby db cooper » Thu May 02, 2019 10:02 am

Time for the "Nationwide" search for a new head coach to begin. :roll:
db cooper
Freshman

Postby Trojanlatex » Thu May 02, 2019 1:04 pm

: :o D
Trojanlatex
JV

Postby daCoacher » Thu May 02, 2019 3:08 pm

To quote the Dream, "Hard times in NW, SC."
Those that can do... those that can't coach.
daCoacher
JV

Postby bhmccorm » Fri May 10, 2019 10:48 am

Update on Northwestern head coaching situation: https://www.heraldonline.com/sports/hig ... stage_lead

I could be wrong, but I would be really surprised if it wasn't Davis. Watching Tuesday's practice, Davis looked liked the HC. He had great success at West Meck, which isn't an easy place to win. He's young, very energetic, very qualified (played at NC State).
I feel like they're dragging it out so that it doesn't look like they hired him with the intention of eventually ditching Martin #chessmoves
bhmccorm
JV

Postby bhmccorm » Fri May 10, 2019 10:52 am

1. Very unlikely a head coach in Martin's situation (under fire following 4-7 season, knowing a coach that had more success was dramatically canned 5 games into the season in 2017) would be okay with the hire of a guy like Davis.
2. Martin is a defensive guy. Davis is a defensive guy.
3. Davis' hire was not publicized. That's kind of unusual for Rock Hill area. I almost always am alerted when coordinators are hired/fired. Why keep this one under wraps, especially given his qualifications (would be a great hire in any other circumstance) ?

Seems pretty obvious what's gonna happen
bhmccorm
JV

Postby bhmccorm » Fri May 10, 2019 10:53 am

(again, just my opinion and I could be totally wrong)
bhmccorm
JV

Postby OnionRings » Fri May 10, 2019 11:02 am

or you could be right Brett. Everything you posted makes good sense
OnionRings
Freshman

Postby FootballFan4343 » Mon May 13, 2019 11:18 am

[quote=“bhmccorm”]Update on Northwestern head coaching situation: https://www.heraldonline.com/sports/hig ... stage_lead

I could be wrong, but I would be really surprised if it wasn’t Davis. Watching Tuesday’s practice, Davis looked liked the HC. He had great success at West Meck, which isn’t an easy place to win. He’s young, very energetic, very qualified (played at NC State).
I feel like they’re dragging it out so that it doesn’t look like they hired him with the intention of eventually ditching Martin #chessmoves[/quote]

You make good points, but here are a couple of thoughts/ideas. Does Davis look in control because he "is the guy" or maybe he is just the only one who has run a full practice before, so he is the most experienced? (you know, the girl that is a 6, but when you surround her by a bunch of 3s, she looks like a 10).

Secondly, I don't think Northwestern can hire from within, again. They moved on from Pierce after just one season and a few games, the same with Martin. Knowing the schedule that the new coach will face, Northwestern's move should be to name an "interim", whether he is on staff or not. Let him coach this year with the interim tag, and then do a full fledged hire in the offseason. It is very unlikely they will get any decent candidates at this time of the year, plus it is very likely that the new coach will have to make do with the existing staff. Hire a new coach, next year, who can bring in his own staff. If it ends up being the interim guy who wins the job next year, great. But, if not, oh well.
Hiring someone and giving him the full-time title just puts things in motion for another situation like Northwestern saw with Pierce and Martin. This year will be a disaster, record-wise, so he immediately is on the hot seat. Say he starts 2020 with an 0-3 record. So, do you fire him mid-season? New coach needs a clean start. While Davis may be the guy, I believe it would be in an "interim" title for this year.
FootballFan4343
Varsity

Postby daCoacher » Tue May 21, 2019 12:51 pm

Just turn the Moose aloose again to clean up another dumpster fire
Those that can do... those that can't coach.
daCoacher
JV

Previous

Return to Class 5A