1A Playoffs 2018

The conversation and activity is fast and furious on the Class 1A board. The schools may be small in enrollments but the hearts and support of the Class 1A fans are the biggest in South Carolina.

1A Playoffs 2018

Postby Old_School » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:17 pm

It's a shame that there is no action in the 1A forum. Some of the most exciting atmosphere's I have been to in the playoffs have been at 1A schools; instead of the bigger schools with bleachers only a quarter full and no energy/pride in the fans. I may be talking to myself here, but anyways here is my take on the 1A playoffs this year.

Upper State - Lamar is going to walk through this with ease, but it will be interesting to see what other teams can make a run. Dixie is having a much better than average season for them, even though they are supposed to be in 2A. Blackville-Hilda is on the comeback with a new coach. Timmonsville has also had a good year under a new coach.

Lower State - This side of the bracket is a little more open although I think Lake View is the favorite. Is Baptist Hill still for real after losing their star QB last year or is their region just that weak? Bethune-Bowman has looked solid in their region championship season. Wouldn't be surprised to see Green Sea-Floyds, C.E. Murray, or Hemingway try to make some noise in this bracket as well. Lastly, gotta give Branchville credit for being competitive this year; they should win in the first round.
Old_School
Freshman

Re: 1A Playoffs 2018

Postby The ? » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:46 am

Dixie is supposed to be in AA??
The ?
All-American

Postby Old_School » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:14 am

[quote=“The ?”]Dixie is supposed to be in AA??[/quote]

They were in 2A in the initial realignment and have the same enrollment numbers as Hannah-Pamplico who moved up to 2A. They appealed and were able to stay down.
Old_School
Freshman

Postby SackThe_Back » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:08 pm

1A forrum is pretty quiet...Problem is, all the 1A teams in the lowcountry stink with the exception of Baptist Hill.
Never be diffrent unless diffrent is much, much better.
SackThe_Back
Freshman

Postby lee71 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:54 pm

i agree with you Old_School about the 1A forum. i believe that has 2 do with teams being down for several years and other teams moving to 2A.

I'm a Blackville fan. ive been faithfully support ing them for the last several years. I feel Lamar is still the favorite to win the title. The 3 round may be a little bit interesting, Lamar should be facing Wagner. Hopefully the other game in the upper state will be Blackville vs Dixie, Timmonsville, or Ridge Spring for the right to play in the upper state championship. i feel Blackville is still a year or so away to give Lamar a challenge, but they are headed in the right direction with Coach Crosby. He has brought enthusiasm into the football program and the guys listen.

i really don 't know about the lower state so i cant give much info on which team may play for the title.
quote=“Old_School”]It’s a shame that there is no action in the 1A forum. Some of the most exciting atmosphere’s I have been to in the playoffs have been at 1A schools; instead of the bigger schools with bleachers only a quarter full and no energy/pride in the fans. I may be talking to myself here, but anyways here is my take on the 1A playoffs this year.

Upper State - Lamar is going to walk through this with ease, but it will be interesting to see what other teams can make a run. Dixie is having a much better than average season for them, even though they are supposed to be in 2A. Blackville-Hilda is on the comeback with a new coach. Timmonsville has also had a good year under a new coach.

Lower State - This side of the bracket is a little more open although I think Lake View is the favorite. Is Baptist Hill still for real after losing their star QB last year or is their region just that weak? Bethune-Bowman has looked solid in their region championship season. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Green Sea-Floyds, C.E. Murray, or Hemingway try to make some noise in this bracket as well. Lastly, gotta give Branchville credit for being competitive this year; they should win in the first round.[/quote]
lee71
Freshman

Postby Old_School » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:50 pm

I know this place has died down a lot since I first started reading it back around 2008/2009, but back then I remember there were some Lake View, Johnsonville, Hemingway, Bamberg, and Blackville-Hilda posters who would be on here regularly.

I think your right though, some teams have been down and that doesn't bring people to post about it and some of the better teams have moved up to 5A. I used to always be in favor of moving to 5 classifications and was extremely glad when it happened, but now it seems like that has watered down 1A and made it even more irrelevant to the outside. I know it's a long shot but I hope the SCHSL makes some adjustments in the future to make 1A more competitive. Just look at the 1A bracket compared to other classifications, they barely have enough teams to have a decent bracket and they have about 5 teams with byes.
Old_School
Freshman

Postby Blacknasty95 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:18 pm

Yes, you right, it has been really quiet in here for a while. I joined last year but have been checking this forum out for years. But like yall said, a lot of teams are down, so I guess that's the reason why. But, on to the playoffs.... Lamar is not like they were last year but pretty decent. Their weekness.... a passing team. Grey Academy exposed that. But in class A, there are hardly any good passing teams. Don't know much about Wagener Sally but playing in the foxes den in the playoffs is tough. Black ville suprised me this year. I remember the years when they was too dog. Glad to see them back to winning ways. I'm thinking it will come down between those three. Dixie might put up a fight but I don't see them going to the upper state.
Now in the lower state, look out for Lake view and Green Sea Floyds. They have solid Defenses. Baptist hill is good once again but I wonder how they will make it with their top receiver playing QB. They have put up some points though. I would say it will be between Lake View and Baptist Hill.
My predictions for state..... Lamar vs Lake View. But Baptist Hill might crash that. The winner...Of course my silver foxes of Lamar. Not as easy as last year though.
Blacknasty95
Freshman

Return to Class 1A