Dean Boyd in as Yorks Head Coach

This board covers the 48 teams that make up the top classification in South Carolina. Discuss the Big 16 and Division II teams and players.

Dean Boyd in as Yorks Head Coach

by Ytownknowsbest » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:24 pm

Word is Dean Boyd is going to be Yorks new head football coach. They will Announce it after the board meeting next week. What's your thoughts on this decision?
Ytownknowsbest
Freshman

Re: Dean Boyd in as Yorks Head Coach

by GooseEggs » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:52 pm

[quote=“Ytownknowsbest”]Word is Dean Boyd is going to be Yorks new head football coach. They will Announce it after the board meeting next week. What’s your thoughts on this decision?[/quote]

Great hire for all parties involved.
GooseEggs
Freshman

by Beanie » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:45 pm

Great hire, but I figured he was heading to NC or GA next to double dip.
Beanie
Freshman

by polysci » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:02 pm

I hope for the best for Dean but he should have taken note of how BC went out. Tough place for hometown dudes to coach at.
polysci
Freshman

by Ytownknowsbest » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:32 am

York does not care about winning. They will be happy with a 6 - 5 record. Word is that the player are dropping like flies and a few has tranfered to clover.
The type of town that York is, it truly is in need of a black coach that the kids believe in. But anyone that knows York SC knows that will never happen in and it is sad.
Dean Body is Steve Boyd’s brother ( Steve was the head coach and athletic director for many years at York) so we know this hire is just a favor.
Good luck York.
Ytownknowsbest
Freshman

by Baba O'Riley » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:40 am

This post sums up what's wrong at York. Why do you need a "black" coach? Why is it you can't just get the most qualified?
Baba O'Riley
Freshman

by BAN-ONE » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:07 pm

Using this line of thinking O-W needs to hire a white guy since they won a state championship with a white guy.....

Dumb post
"Need a blocker....fast car....faster than that!"
BAN-ONE
Freshman

by polysci » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:45 pm

Dean is a qualified coach, he has won two state titles I believe. I think one of the issues in York is having coaches, not particularly the head coach who can relate to all of the kids in school, black and white. Face it high school football is also about recruiting kids who don't play, to come out and play. Then when you get them out being able to relate to and talk to them about the issues in their lives. BC was good at this for a while in York so was coach Steve Boyd. I do think you need assistants who can relate to York issues. South Pointe, NW, and Rock Hill high have quite a few coaches who help that played in Rock Hill and know the struggles of Rock Hill and also personally know many of the kids parents. They don't teach at the school they just volunteer to help the programs. All schools that are successful, in my opinion need these guys helping out. I don't know the particulars of how they get to do it, either background checks plus something else but they can add value. York has plenty of willing guys but I don't think York allows those volunteer coaches. Having a bunch of assistants who played ball in RH is ok, but can they relate to what it is to grow up, play, and be successful in York. A lot of winning is pride and believe it or not, there is pride in York and having played for York.
polysci
Freshman

by Baba O'Riley » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:03 pm

So what you're saying is hire some community guys because they know what's going on in the community? I'd pass. Community guys have very little skin in the game and tend to disappear when times get tough...after they trash the head coach because they thought he should be doing it their way. I'd say Dr. Dean has done well at his stops with relating to diverse backgrounds. It's a good hire, if you can't get over due to skin tone that's on you.
Baba O'Riley
Freshman

by polysci » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:12 pm

Has nothing to do with skin tone but being able to relate to players. I think Dean is a good coach but you need help in all areas with today’s kids and the situations some of them can be in both black and white. Your right community guys who have motives besides being a difference maker in kids lives will bail. I’m talking about guys who have a committed interest in helping kids succeed and who have coached before. Not Joe Blows off of the street. Coaches need help with more than X and O’s in this era of kids.
polysci
Freshman

Next

Return to Class 4A